The SMD DD-1 Vs $7,000 Analyzer - A video for the Skeptics

• 4 weeks later...

I'm trying to find someone with a DD-1 who will trade me for my pocket ocope......no luck yet haha! I think those who have it know it's gold!

1998 SS/T Ram Build Log

- Kenwood KVT-514 and KNA-G510 Navigation

- 2 DC Level 3 12"

- Components???

- Sundown ???

- Sundown???

- Knu Konceptz

- Second Skin Dampy Pro

- XS D6500

I know when mine comes in I'm going to run inside drop a duce so I m light enough to do high kicks like David Lee Roth!

Kenwood KIV-BT900

Front Stage

RF 400-4 Runs off dedicated 4 awg ofc

RE 6.5 125.5.

Lanzar Max Pro 6.5

Boston S60 6.5 components

Rear

Soundstream BX-15

Boston S60 6.5 components

4x Sundown SA8 v1.5

Crescendo BC3500D

2.4 net 28hz

4 runs of 0 gauge

Big 3

HC2400

700ca up front

Singer 350 Amp Alt

No deadener :/

Scytek Galaxy Alarm

Keep 'em straight Steve!

I wish I had waited on my O-Scope... oh well, I get to save some more pennies and get another Toy! :D I mean seriously- you could buy one of these, and charge people $10 a tune... be a hero and get a LOAD of bread to boot. What more could you ask for?? A Great purpose built product if you ask me.

12 - 12"s in the STAY PUFT 1989 Chevy Astro

Build & Comment Log

Un-Interrupted Build Log
YouTube Channel

Chevy Trailblazer 5.1 Dolby Digital DTS Install

You have a beard of a mysterious sea captain. I would follow you to hell and back.

• 2 months later...

Steve,

Man...I have to say, I doubted this DD-1 awhile back over on an 'insider' forum thread.

Well, I'm eating crow now. I first looked at this meter as-if it was the equivalent of setting gains at the amp's output w/ a simple 60hz 0dB tone. I originally said that the output of the amp would change based on the active load, and thus change the 'clipping point' vs a given volume level during music listening. And yes, it will...as I have shown in some of my youtube vids.

Well...I miss-judged the piece of equipment. At the time that I first heard/read about it, I was so caught up in disproving the forum-non-sense of setting gains based on a single 0db tone (be it 60hz or 6khz) that I totally overlooked the premise of your DISTORTION DETECTOR. I unfairly ruled it as a basic clipping detector based on singular tones/wave-function samples. But, after seeing its true nature in action vs other equipment, my mindset has changed.

I see now that your system/product is not based on testing a single or even multiple freq for simple 'clipping'. But rather it compares the total system signal to a base-line 'perfect' signal by which it is apparently calibrated. (please, correct me if I'm wrong...again)

Apparently, I jumped to the wrong conclusions far to early in my hasty 'nay-saying' of this piece of equipment.

I am still stuck on using my O-scope for testing, call me an OG...lol, but I'm contemplating on purchasing your DD-1 to help speed up my test and tune sessions here at the shop.

I'm looking forward to further developments in the evolution of this product.

-Canaan

Canaan.

Good to see you here.

Maybe post up some pics and vids so these guys can see who you are.

Thanks for coming on and clearing the air.

The dd1 is a great tool for all 12v guys.

Look at the cc1 vids

New tool coming up very soon.

Ive got the proto now and will do a review on insider soon

2008 California state record holder 157.2 Bassrace2009 California state record holder 157.0 BassraceRollin 50's 158.7db2009 King of Cali Bassrace2009 USACi score 160.5 @ 42hz

Canaan.

Good to see you here.

Maybe post up some pics and vids so these guys can see who you are.

Thanks for coming on and clearing the air.

The dd1 is a great tool for all 12v guys.

Look at the cc1 vids

New tool coming up very soon.

Ive got the proto now and will do a review on insider soon

Ray,

Thanks for the vote of confidence, but don't I think of myself based on vehicles that I have built.

I know that as an SPL competitor and audio installer...there will always be someone louder and better than me.

I will always take pride in what I have done, but what I have done will always be in the past. Regardless of how mondain or great our builds may be, they will always fade away. And to tell the truth, I usually turn out basic daily-driver builds here at the shop, day in and day out.

I may post some pics/vids of my most current builds here at the shop here on SMD but, if anyone wants the know what I have built from 2007-2011, just google or youtube 'Desiard St. Pawn'.

I have come along way from when I first started posting vids on youtube...lol.

And the little audio shop I work for has come far farther.

I tend to lurk on Insider. But, given our shop's location (across from ULM campus)...I have a plethora of 'stories' that I need to post over there...lmao.

I pretty much trouble-shoot and repair just as many installs as I start. We (as a shop) have pretty much become the "fixers" around town, not sure if that is good or bad for reputation.

Edited by canaan

Well, im happy to see you here.

This site could use someone like you.

You have alot of knowledge, and practice at this hobby of ours.

2008 California state record holder 157.2 Bassrace2009 California state record holder 157.0 BassraceRollin 50's 158.7db2009 King of Cali Bassrace2009 USACi score 160.5 @ 42hz