Mechman Alternators

sub $50 v-belt to flat belt tutorial for bbc and sbc

good write up, luckily I havent had any issues with belt slippage on my 383's but Im going to try this swap out... thanks for being the guinea pig lol

Team Devastation Mixed Martial ArtsMachado Brazilian JiujitsuOnce I lock it on there's no escape I don't train to make you tap, I train to tear your arm, leg, or head off. Its your job to tap before I can do that -Pain is only weakness leaving the body, its kill or be killed and only the strong survive...Rockford FosgateDigital DesignsFi Car AudioCrossfire Car Audio

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great write up man! I had thought the most you could do on a v was like 140-160 so didn't someone there say something about it before you bought it (they know this)? I've known should I ever want to move the system in my old 61 Deville (390) I would have to swap the pulley, but that isn't something that comes in a manual.

On a side note, now that you have the charging system sorted where in the FAWK are the bass videos? ;)

My DC 280 is ran on a V-Belt... :peepwall:

Hell yeah thats what i did with the 383 i have now, Took the old pulleys of the 350 i had and put them in. Even though i don't have an H/O alt i think it looks 10x better also

90 Nissan 240sx

Avic z-140bh

Audison SR4

Audison Voce 6.5s

CDT es-20 tweeters

Sundown 1500v3

(2) DD 9510's

3 cube box 2 6" aeros

XS Power D2400 & Xp950

Skyhigh/Knukonceptz/Rockford Fosgate wiring

More Coming Soon.. Check my builds below.

97 Civic Hatch Build

86 Caprice Build

you can pick up a chick in a car... I think it'd be hard to roll up mackin on a broad sittin on a sundown. My opinion

Great write up man! I had thought the most you could do on a v was like 140-160 so didn't someone there say something about it before you bought it (they know this)? I've known should I ever want to move the system in my old 61 Deville (390) I would have to swap the pulley, but that isn't something that comes in a manual.

On a side note, now that you have the charging system sorted where in the FAWK are the bass videos? ;)

the bass videos are about to be taken, like 10 minutes haha. and yes, they told me 180 was really the max, but hey, im stubborn LOL and thought i could have a buddy make up an idler pulley tensioner and blah blah, didnt work out. plus, for under $50, its all gm parts and the best and most cost effective way to DIY. thats why i say plan ahead, if you have a v-belt system on a pre 84 gm, order your alt with the 5 groove pulley and save the cost of buying the additional pulley as well

That's great, I was worried they didn't say anything :D I was going to post something in your thread, but I was way too late on that. ;)

My DC 280 is ran on a V-Belt... :peepwall:

Wow... Shit man on my old alt (it was a 140) I had serious slip so I can only imagine on yours :ehh:

If at first you do not succeed, you are doing it wrong! -ARS
UnderLoK-Tanq-SMD-Forum-resized.jpg
Check out my walled TBSS build over here
4 Fi Team 18s on 2 Cactus K9
DS18 doors on 2 MBQ 1Ks, Vifa pillars on a STL4.500
Pioneer X8500
6 XS Power D7500, 1 3400S
Second Skin
2 270a Mechman Alts

Belt slip on a single-v is common when going up in the power. Applications with better belt wrap, lower pulley ratio or slower to rev will help keep the slip to a minimum. Switching to a multi-v belt is the way to go if you want real output.

Nice write-up, I will get with you about this real soon as I want to add this to our site. We need to get more of the customer swaps on my site to show how easy it is to get better alternator performance without breaking the bank.

• 6 months later...

man thanks for this i have a 78 Caprice this really helped me i should have my car next week and get my pulleys on i got the same alternator im surprised mechman dont tell us that from the get go

mechman don't tell you what from the get go?

if you are talking about the belt slip yes they do, I contacted Matt and sent pictures of my belts and was told i would get belt slip, he said the fix for that would be an extra belt or swap to serpentine and have better belt rap. since i wanted a stock look on my truck i went the original way and got the kit from Chevy and installed it in less than 5 hours

Edited by Miguels