Second Skin Audio

whats wrong with jl audio

cardy

Nothing is wrong with JL Audio. They make great products. Here are some reasons why a majority of people on this board will tell you to take a different route.

1. They are overpriced.

2. They are mainstream.

3. They have too many annoying nuthugger fanboys who don't know nothing about car audio or the car audio market. These are the guys that will tell you their (or their friend's) w7 blew out their windshield X amount of times.

4. They are overpriced.

5. Their Customer service may or may not be as helpful as other, smaller companies such as Sundown, DC, Fi AA etc.

6. They are overpriced.

If you are looking into purchasing JL products, by all means do it, it's your money. Just remember that if you decide to purchase JL, chances are you can get a product from a different company that has equal or greater output for less. Likewise, you are purchasing a product that many many people already have, if this sort of thing bothers you.

Just my .02

My Channel on YouTube. Check it out for cinematic-style Car Audio videos.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcSMhtT-rpopJbdybubDgnQ

New 2014 Scion TC 4th Wall Build

https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/217173-2014-tc-4th-order-build-3-fi-sp4-15s/

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For those choosing to not buy from online stores then jl audio and others are in line on price on some of the gear they sell but i will agree on the upper end of things where the cost just sky rockets. They do make some damn good amps that quite a few use in sq builds with success. My point was that jl's price per watt really hasn't changed much over the years where other companies have dropped the price of the gear they sell. I have used them along with many many other companies over the years and have been quite happy with what i purchased, they managed to get some patents on some designs and can charge what they want to for it. That is one point many people tend to overlook.

sKULLZ COULDNT HAVE SAID IT BETTER...paedon the caps lol

You guys really think that cost too much?

You should have bought equipment 20 years ago when they all charged that much for everything you bought, but it was all made in america with companies that stood behind the products they made. We didn't mind spending what we spent at that time for it cause we knew we were getting some kickass gear.

A W1 back in the early 90s costs exactly the same as a W1v2 today. A W6... same story.

Besides W7s and amps, nothing has changed with JL in 20 years.

2007 Pacifica
Rebuild. Less quiet. Still not loud.

You guys really think that cost too much?

You should have bought equipment 20 years ago when they all charged that much for everything you bought, but it was all made in america with companies that stood behind the products they made. We didn't mind spending what we spent at that time for it cause we knew we were getting some kickass gear.

A W1 back in the early 90s costs exactly the same as a W1v2 today. A W6... same story.

Besides W7s and amps, nothing has changed with JL in 20 years.

I very much agree. The main thing is JL is all about SQ. Sure you can go out and buy great SPL equipment cheaper. Now go out and compare prices to other SQ products and see what you get. For instance have a look at Critical Mass and tell me what you think about stepping into the SQ ring. http://www.ebay.com/itm/CRITICAL-MASS-AUDIO-ULA800-V2-0-AMPLIFIER-AMP-4CH-US-NR-/290550611632?pt=Car_Amplifiers&hash=item43a62a7eb0

98 Chevy Blazer 4 Door

Stock Everything

The New Setup

1 - Pioneer AVH-P5200DVD

1- Pioneer DEH-80PRS

2 - Blues Audio 5.25 Mids ( On the dash )

2 - Blues Audio BL8.0C Components ( In the front doors )

2 - Blues Audio BL8.0 Woofers ( In the rear doors )

1 - Linear Power 952 ( Dash )

1 - Linear Power 2202IQ Modified ( Components )

1 - Linear Power 3002 ( Rear Doors )

1 - SoundStream XBP-10 Processor

1 - SoundStream BX-20Z

2 - SoundStream DTR1.3400D

4 - RE Audio SX12D4

241543L22m9xYv.gif

lol i like how you guys said jl audio is high price i live in Belize City central America and everything these guys sell have have to x4 to get it to me and i have like i said zr650 / c5 650 / hd600/4 / hd1200/1 /13w7ae with all stinger wires tune with SMD DD-1 and all i can say is WOW and it's loud and clear and i also have a Chevy Colorado with jl audio 300/4 / 500/1 and a 10w3v3 sub and it plays nice. I know the other brand would give me more but on a daily don't think so but some other good shit out there but for now jl audio for me thanks

To everyone saying JL is all for SQ go tell that to the people at DIYMA where the real SQ nuts are at. They're on the SQ end of MAINSTREAM brands, basically I consider it to be 3 different categories of car audio; Underground SPL/Getting loud, Mainstream SQ/Mainstream Loud, and Underground SQ. This forum focuses a lot more on the underground SPL end of things, most mainstream people get converted here to that, and there are a few on here that are really into SQ.

Current Systems:

2011 BMW 335i

Hertz HDP1

DC LVL3 12" Full Carbon Fiber

2002 Acura Tl
Kenwood DNX9980HD
2 DCLVL4 12" Subs with LVL5 Parts D.7 Coils
DC 3.5k
Hertz HSK-165 up front HCX-165 Rear
Hertz HDP4 Amp
DC Power Engineering 260 Amp Alt
Big 3 and amp powered with KNU 1/0
XS Power D2400 Up Front

i pulled out my dick in class many of times and had it shown. get over it bitch...stupid open legged hairy beavered bitch...

going over rms = smaller box, under rms = bigger box...

Low voltage doesn't blow amps. That's a myth.

A router that does the sub holes makes rounded edges also?

And that's great man, if you are happy with the equipment in your ride, everything is good. But I cannot justify paying the prices they charge for the equipment you get.

Bassless once again. Can't seem to keep a system for more than a few weeks :)

Saving for a '06 Nissan 350z, look for build around June 2012.

Archived