Sundown Audio

Amp clipping indicators ???

Fish Chris

This is another one of those things which will be very important for me at some point in the future...

My current amp, the RF Power 1000, 5ch (my baby ;)) has an LED clipping indicator for each of its 5ch's located on the front (top) panel. And where I have it mounted (on the back, false wall, of my Supercab F150) I can, and always do, look over my right shoulder, to monitor my power output, often trying to adjust all 5 ch to where they are just below the slightest red flicker > Or in other words, max output, with minimum distortion.

Now, I know at some point down the road, I will have to do away with my Power 1000, for a bigger amp. But I really don't know of another amp, which has such a cool clipping indicator, located in such a perfect spot for my uses ? :(

So, the $10K question is > Is their a way to have some sort of inline indicators, for each of your amp channels, maybe which could even be located on your dash ??? Oh, and if so, "in what lines" ? Speakers outputs ?

Geeez, I'm just so spoiled with being able to so closely monitor my power outputs, that I'd be freaking completely screwed up without it !

Peace,

Fish

PS, It might be a little rigged / funky, but most amps do at least have a single little red clipping indicator on one ond, or the other. Could that be tapped off of, straight from the amp, to some very light gage wire, then ran to an LED in the dash ???

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

AQ amps, as well as a few others have a clipping light on the bass knob. Not sure how accurate it is, then again I'm not sure how accurate the one on your amp is either. A scope or DD-1 is really the best way, do it once and not worry about it.

-Zach-

2010 Toyota Tundra
Full Hybrid Audio SQ

7" BDS on 37's

2000 Ford Expedition

160+ dB Green Turd -SOLD- :(

the clip lights are generally accurate iirc, not true clipping though. Oscope or dd1 is your best bet.

29408240963_9908a51930_o.png
Best Score to Date : 160.5 dB Outlaw (47Hz)[4 XM 15's & 2 Taramps Bass 12k's]

BL :  http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/147800-chevyboy95s-4-15s-7krms-wall-1533-db-on-half-power/
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/hitemwiththeflex/

Thanks guys, but I think we might be on kind of a different page.

The scope or DD1 would probably be a great idea for setting my gains and such. {In fact, I'd love to have one of the pros here do mine}

But I'm talking about clipping for individual songs, and volume / bass control levels. No matter how perfect your gains and everything else is set up, you can still clip your music, by pushing it too hard.

I just like the visual indicator that I'm so spoiled with on my RF Power 1000. Have you guys seen these ? Its like 5 columns of blue LED's, and the very top one is red. So, you get this little light show going on, which lets you see how close to clipping your getting to clipping, before you get there....

Fish

the clip lights are generally accurate iirc, not true clipping though. Oscope or dd1 is your best bet.

do you know how the dd1 works? or are you just hoping on the train?

I really have no idea how it works, would like to know the circuitry.

you can cook bacon shirtless if you're not a pussy...lol

not hatin, but am i wrong here it looks as if the amp is not grounded its hooked directly to the battery. it that the way it should be.

intr.jpg

DC.jpgDC POWER

Not certain, but I think the DD1 "listens" for anything that isn't 40hz/1khz. So when you clip and develop harmonics, it "hears" that and throws the light.

You may be offended by the above. Don't take it personally, I'm just abrasive.

DC Level 4 M2 12 D2

Car Audio Bargain 1600.1

Eclipse CD3200

~2 cubes @ 34 hz.

Stinger Roadkill Expert

I have the same amp, ray scoped it and its dead on

Hahah damn cody

She ain't that sexy. I wouldn't even let her blow me. Those 10 pounds of make up would end up all over my crotch.

you dont find dubstep, dubstep finds you

hu: Pioneer MVH - P8300BT

mids: Alpine sps-600 all four corners

highs: Addictive Audio ECST25A,Memphis PR tweeters back

sub: 15 inch crossfire bmf

box: 4 cubes at 38 hz

amp: Rockford Fosgate Power 1000 25 To Life

140.7 on a non sealed trunk car with a five channel so far (old sub audiobahn aw1505q)

Build Log

http://www.stevemead...ima-56k-beware/

Feedback

http://www.stevemead...s-bfd-feedback/

Not certain, but I think the DD1 "listens" for anything that isn't 40hz/1khz. So when you clip and develop harmonics, it "hears" that and throws the light.

i have a feeling its much more simple. ill stick to my o-scope.

maybe steve will fill us in :peepwall:

you can cook bacon shirtless if you're not a pussy...lol

not hatin, but am i wrong here it looks as if the amp is not grounded its hooked directly to the battery. it that the way it should be.

intr.jpg

DC.jpgDC POWER

Archived