Second Skin Audio

Is there any advantages over 2 ohms to 1 ohm?

If you're on a budget, than 4000 watts is going to be hard to achieve. You didn't say anything about a budget, so if the sky is the limit, then do some research. I'm kind of a newb in the right way to set up car audio and this site has helped tremendously. Look around on here alot, any thread that looks like it might have something to do with any question you have, open it up and read. To do what you're talking about watts wise I'd say you're looking at atleast a grand in wire, batteries and alt. Add in your subs, amp and box... you're baddest system in town is going to be a pretty sizable chunk of change to play around with. Do it right and do it once...do it wrong and who knows how much you'll end up spending or even if you'll stick with it.

Edited by Mr.JaunDurfle

2001 VW Passat Sportwagen

Alpine ICS-X7HD

DC Audio 5K

SSA 15" XCON

Tantric Sounds 6.5HD's, Sundound Audio SA-6.5CS

Incriminator Audio IA6.4

XS batteries, KnuKonceptz wirez, Second Skin

If you're on a budget, than 4000 watts is going to be hard to achieve. You didn't say anything about a budget, so if the sky is the limit, then do some research. I'm kind of a newb in the right way to set up car audio and this site has helped tremendously. Look around on here alot, any thread that looks like it might have something to do with any question you have, open it up and read. To do what you're talking about watts wise I'd say you're looking at atleast a grand in wire, batteries and alt. Add in your subs, amp and box... you're baddest system in town is going to be a pretty sizable chunk of change to play around with. Do it right and do it once...do it wrong and who knows how much you'll end up spending or even if you'll stick with it.

How much would it be just for wiring? I can get batteries cheap, but idk about an alt. Do you know how big of an alternator I would get if i'm going to be pushing 3k?

The subs ohms has nothing to do with the power handleing whether it is a 1ohm sub 2ohm sub and so on....... The power handleing of a sub is the rms watts...

They make differnt ohm loads on subs so you can wire them to differnt ohms.

Most monoblock amps put out the most power at lower ohm loads, thats why people

tend to wire to 1 ohm instead of 2 ohms or 4 ohms.

So you can wire a 2ohm sub to 1ohm on an amp? If so would it be the same power as a 1ohm to 1ohm? Again... I'm new at this.

A single 2 ohm coil will only ever wire up to an amplifier at 2 ohms (assuming a single monoblock amplifier which is what 95% of people use these days).

If you had two 2 ohm coils (either a single sub with two coils or two subs with a single coil each) then you could wire them to the monoblock in either parallel for 1 ohm or series for 4 ohms.

If your amplifier makes the most amount of power at 1 ohm then you want to choose subs with coils that will get you closest to 1 ohm. Being a bit higher than optimal is better than going under if you're unsure that your electrical can handle what the amp needs if you're going to run it hard.

MickyMcD - "Capable of making some serious trouser flapping volumes at where's-my-testicles frequencies, the Servo-Drives used to be fairly jaw dropping..."

Any time you have have a power wire next to your frame put some rubber hosing (or cut up an innertube) around it. The wire is bound to wiggle (due to driving or flex) and the casing will eventually wear through.

Hammerdown... 1%

no links to outside websites, business related FB/YT pages allowed.

What vehicle is this going in? For wiring go to Darvex, they sell it by the foot, Sonicelectronix is a little higher in price but has more of a selection. 1/0 gauge at least for power/ground, and 10 or 8 gauge for speaker wire to subs. Big three upgrade. For an alt I'd say depending on the number of amplifiers you run, if one amp probably a 270 alt. 300 ANL fuse. Like I said I'm still learning too, so I hope no-one gets mad at me for taking a semi-educated guess here.

2001 VW Passat Sportwagen

Alpine ICS-X7HD

DC Audio 5K

SSA 15" XCON

Tantric Sounds 6.5HD's, Sundound Audio SA-6.5CS

Incriminator Audio IA6.4

XS batteries, KnuKonceptz wirez, Second Skin

2ohms, more efficient and lower %THD.

Very amplifier dependent. Dont forget dampening factor.

MickyMcD - "Capable of making some serious trouser flapping volumes at where's-my-testicles frequencies, the Servo-Drives used to be fairly jaw dropping..."

Any time you have have a power wire next to your frame put some rubber hosing (or cut up an innertube) around it. The wire is bound to wiggle (due to driving or flex) and the casing will eventually wear through.

Hammerdown... 1%

no links to outside websites, business related FB/YT pages allowed.

The subs ohms has nothing to do with the power handleing whether it is a 1ohm sub 2ohm sub and so on....... The power handleing of a sub is the rms watts...

They make differnt ohm loads on subs so you can wire them to differnt ohms.

Most monoblock amps put out the most power at lower ohm loads, thats why people

tend to wire to 1 ohm instead of 2 ohms or 4 ohms.

So you can wire a 2ohm sub to 1ohm on an amp? If so would it be the same power as a 1ohm to 1ohm? Again... I'm new at this.

You can wire any sub to any amp. Just saying that if your sub is wired at 2 ohm, your amp will be at 2 ohm as well. The reason that it's less loud is that level of resistence cuts down on the total power. However, it tends to sound a little bit better sound quality and keeps your equipment from breaking because it doesnt get as hot. Just be sure not to try to get loud on 500 watts @ 2 ohms cuz then you'll end up clipping signals and blowing something anyway.

2ohms, more efficient and lower %THD.

Very amplifier dependent. Dont forget dampening factor.

dampening factor is really not anything to worry about.

lower THD is something a large majority of people will never worry about

2 ohms is more efficient, but that kinda goes out the window if you are buying a bigger amp to do the same power at 2 ohms that a smaller amp does at 1 ohm.

F150:

Stock :(

2019 Harley Road Glide:

Amp: TM400Xad - 4 channel 400 watt

Processor: DSR1

Fairing (Front) 6.5s -MMats PA601cx

Lid (Rear) 6x9s -  TMS69