has anyone chopped the exhaust b4 the axel and kept it quiet

I have a 2005 chevy tahoe. I thought I wanted a nice sound out of the exhaust.... but cutting it before axel I get a ton of drone. I was all excited, I did a cold air intake, headders, y pipe, bought the quietest spintech muffler. I have to chop it b4 the axel because im lowering the truck so much. And I get drone drone drone. Yuck.

From reading and reading and reading i guess im going to buy a resonator, and probrably change mufflers. I want it super quiet. Dnt even want to know its running.

Has anyone ever chopped b4 axel and kept it super quiet

never seen a quiet exhaust chopped in front of the axle, but why not try some sound deadener?

masterbation is free, and even saves you money.sorry but someone had to say it

sorry, Jimmy...beat you to it (no pun intended)

LOLDON'T get a wife. Best advice I never got, and now it's too late <_<

My build: 12" DCON in a dorm room.

New/current build: 8" woofer, custom amplifier block, fiberglassed speaker pods

Or you could get creative and run the exhaust all the way to back of truck and bring it through the body of the truck behind the wheel well. I've seen that done, and it looks super trick. Or in front of the wheel well.

Edited by CleanSierra

Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.

It's weird to me that you'd install headers and a y-pipe and a cold air intake and want a truck that is completely quiet. I can understand if its JUST the drone you dont care for, because no one likes a drone. But wanting it completely quiet is not very realistic with the parts you have installed.

Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.

Its turned down 45 degres rite now. Im gonna cut it so it faces back a lil more 25 degres. i feel its bouncing off the ground and rite back up. Yes have sound deadner already. I wanted a nice sound out of the exhaust but its a bla toneless sound unless im floored. just light to medium throttle it just sounds like a rusted out muffler. I have a show truck, and i want it to sound bad ass or queit. and so far the trying to sound bad ass has failed miserably. and when I say i get drone i mean on a scale of 1 to 10 its a 10.

well ive read all day long. some people say a resonator would help... others say resonators only tone down high frequencies and do nothing to low end drone. others say go to stock exhaust muffler... but bottom line is as long as its chopped I feel im going to get drone. Im just going to cut off my sub frame... do some re welding of support. and make sure i use a tail pipe all the way to the bumper.

First off, poor muffler choice for no drone and quiet. Second, in a pick up truck, with the exhaust dumped that far under the bed, you will probably have a little drone to deal with regardless. I dont understand how you couldn't have room for your exhaust, regardless of how low you plan on making the truck.... run the exhaust in the frame rails.....run it up thru the sheetmeatl in to the bed and back out...theres a few options, just need to get creative with the tubing bender and welder. Ive always had good luck with dynomax mufflers as far as drone goes. I am currently running a moroso spiral flo race bullet, no drone, but then again its longtube headers into a 4 inch y pipe, into the muffler, dumped at the rear axle...definately doesnt drone, but its loud as all get out.

1999 Lincoln Town Car-(build underway)

- (2) SA15s, 4th order, DAT 2500.1, O2 mids n highs, 250a alt, HC 2400, Big 3....

1994 Pontiac T/A for speeding tickets.-

- Currently on jack stands, wanting to be a real race car

"Your local forecast, all the ladies in the metro area should expect to see 8 inches tonight" - The Todd

Decaf, on 01 November 2011 - 02:38 PM, said:

i provide the ammo for destruction, the trigger finger is connected to the volume knob tho

URBAN GORILLA AUDIO