CE Auto Electric Supply

Converting to 14 Volt Batteries - Part II Now Complete!

Well, since one of my Die Hard Golds died, it seemed like the right time to convert to 14 volt batteries in my Olds. I chose the XS Power S1400 batteries for this project - one of their benefits when compared to the Die Hard Group 27 batteries they will be replacing is that they weigh roughly 50 pounds LESS each. Less is more in go-fast. I'm also using a regulator adapter harness for Mechman so that I can increase the output voltage of the Iraggi AD-244 alternator on this vehicle. Finally, I'm using a clever device from Aeromotive to prevent my MagnaFuel electric fuel pump from working harder than necessary.

Follow along and I'll detail the project step-by-step. Here is Part 1.

Dec 1, 2012 - Ok, it's been a WHILE since I uploaded Part 1, but Part 2 is now complete and I just uploaded the video! Read the description and you'll understand why the long delay . . . ]

Incidentally, pulse width modulation is widely used in automotive amplifiers, so you can see exactly how that works in Part 2!

Tony Candela - SMD Sales & Marketing
Email me at [email protected] to learn about becoming an SMD Partner!

CEAES_468.gif

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

u have me at the end of my bed w8ing for the next video

CDyneSi_zps9638e5fa.jpg

VbjgkeI_zpsdd2219ec.jpg

deepsilencer, on 22 Aug 2011 - 17:32, said:

splzx3, on 22 Aug 2011 - 17:27, said:

i had my fun on one of his videos...till he blocked me then i got my mother into it lol after her he closed the comments xD

lol your mom is a G! good.gif

WTF, I never thought I'd have a conversation about cross dressers and trans-genders on a car audio forum.

in for part 2.... :popcorn:

Pioneer Premier P880PRS ll Front Stage: US Acoustics 4060 - Random speakers currently ll Sub Stage: Crescendo BC3500D - 15" Xcon sealed @ 3.28 cubes ll Electrical: - Kinetik HC1800(front) NEW***DieHard P-2(rear)

beaker- I know this sounds like a lot of anime bullshit, but it is true.

• 3 months later...

UPDATE

Just a few days after filming part 1, I was driving the Olds' and it wasn't running well and something just didn't sound right. After digging into it, I realized that the #1 intake lifter was collapsed. [This was Thursday, the bi-annual Central cruise was on Saturday . . . just great . . . ] After a complete teardown of the top-end, I realized that was just a fraction of the damage. It turned out that the cam went flat and maybe 3 or 4 of the lifters weren't mushroomed. Time for some new parts. A quick call to my buddy Frank at Beck Racing Engines and I was in business . . . new hydraulic roller and all associated valve train components ordered. Here's the specs on the custom grind Comp cam:

Intake lift: .664 (was .550 . . . !)

Exhaust lift: .669

Duration @ .050: .236 intake, .244 exhaust

Intake center line: 109deg

LSA: 113deg

[Engine is a Mark IV BBC, 454 + .030 = 461, iron #3964291 GM Hi-Perf Heads (!), Weiand 6-71, Holley EFI, and ALL associated go-fast goodies . . . ]

Snag # 1 - The old school 3/8" valve guide bosses required a valve seal that wouldn't fit inside the springs for this combo. Time to pull the heads . . .

Snag # 2 - After pulling the heads, we realized the guides were blown out and the seats were equally as bad . . . Time to rework the heads . . .

Hey, you ain't gonna' run the same crap, right:

Old valve sizes: Intake - 2.19", Exhaust - 1.72"

New valve sizes: Intake - 2.25", Exhaust - 1.90" !

Frank sez, "Bro, it's gonna' be like a different car."

I got it all back together about a month and a half later. Since it's got EFI, all I had to do was drive it and let the ECU re-map all the fuel tables. So, after doing that for 50 miles or so and re-running the valves, it was time to whack the throttle. First, let me say, that it definitely DOES sound like a different car. The exhaust tone is just NUTS - like 6dB louder. Before, I could go WOT at 25 mph, it hooked, instantly hit 10 pounds of boost, and boost climbed to 13-14 psi on the shift (6,400 rpm). First whack with the new combo at like 30 mph, it almost swapped ends . . . and that was HALF throttle. HOLY SHCHNIKEES! We tried and tried and tried to finesse into the throttle to get it to hook - first, second, third gear . . . it didn't matter . . . no hook. So, I did the unthinkable . . . slowed the blower down from 9% under to 11% under. Yeah, that didn't do SQUAT.

Two weekends ago, I took a buddy for a ride that owned a 650 rwhp f-body. He could not believe how powerful the Olds' is now. We got on the on ramp, I finessed into it and it spun all the way through the 1-2, the 2-3 and didn't stop spinning until I let out of it. In about the time it took you to read that, we went from 25 mph to 100 mph . . . spinning the whole way. He was like OMG! Any more than 1/2 throttle and it smolderizes the tires (515/40/15s!) so fast it bounces off the limiter (6,700 rpm).

Snag # 3: Later that afternoon, I took another buddy for a ride. I whacked it at 25 mph or so and he about sh*t himself as the back-end moved over a half a lane. As I got out of the throttle, we heard someting BREAK. I got it pulled over and we found the problem - it sheared off the wheel studs (Moser 1/2" 3" long hardened studs) on the pass rear wheel. The wheel stayed IN the quarter somehow so I got SUPER LUCKY. Time to order and install 5/8" wheel studs.

We got it all back together this weekend so it's back on the road. Oh yeah, I slowed the blower down again to 13% under . . . that seems to help SOME with the traction as it seems to grab at 1/2 throttle now. So, let's try a bit more . . . right? Yesterday, I did just that. 1/2 throttle from 25 and feed in a bit more . . . this thing is SCARY and I mean SCARY.

So, look for part II of this vid shortly.

And I got two words for Matt at Mechman . . . BRING IT!

Edited by snafu

Tony Candela - SMD Sales & Marketing
Email me at [email protected] to learn about becoming an SMD Partner!

CEAES_468.gif

515/40/15s!

is that a typo? 515. lol. holy shit.

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

that wasnt what i was referring to tony thats a monstrous tire.

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.