Tank's Very Low Budget S10 Build Log

My subs and stuff are going to be here soon so I figured I would start a build log. The truck it's going in is my 93 S10. components will be

2 Power Acoustik Thin 13's

1 Power Acoustik BAMF 800/2

4x6 Sony xplode mids/highs up front (will be upgrading to RF or Kicker sooner or later when I get the money. I bought these when I blew the stock ones)

4x10 Volfenhag mids/highs in rear (its all I could really afford when I bought them a year ago)

I'm going with PA because it's cheap and I'm not going for a huge spl build. I just wanted a lil bump in my truck nothing to drastic. I'm too broke right now to buy the RF P3SD212 that I want. I bought both of my PA Thin 13's for the price of one P3SD212. I know "you get what you pay for" but I already have one right now and it actually doesn't sound all that bad. Right now I'm not going to get crazy and start cutting up my door panels to start fitting in more mids and highs so I'm just putting in the stock size speakers right now. I will fab up some door panels when I get more cash. When I do get the cash forthe door panels I'm planning on 1 6.5in and 2 4in in each door. My truck is a regular cab so space is tight. box is going to be 20"h x 51"w x 2.5"td,6.5"bd and I'm going to use half inch mdf so it comes out to 1.93 cubes before displacment. about 1.8 after

Heres a couple pics of my truck for now

truck.jpg

truck2.jpg

dims 8000k H4 HID's

0811110020.jpg

Brights pair of 8000k H3 HID's come on when I hit my brights

0811110020a.jpg

the two lights in the middle are regular halogen fog lights in projector housings. I'm going to get a 3000k HID kit for them. The hood scoops are functional and yes I put amber led strips in them because it kinda looks cool lol. All turn signals are LED

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wouldn't recommend port area that low. You'd sound better totally sealed for a matter of fact. Why not do a slot port of you really do wanna go ported?

*Edit- I'm tuned in for the build. Didn't wanna come off as negative, I really am looking forward to it and wish you the best of luck throughout the process.

*Edit 2- I noticed you didn't add sub displacements in Torres, they will decrease volume and raise tuning.

Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.

its all good man I take any help that is given. I was thinking about going just sealed but I wanted to see if anyone had an opinion on it. I was thinking about going ported just because I'm underpowering the subs as it is so I wanted to get as much out of them as I can. The subs are 450watt rms and at actual output I'm probably only going to be giving each sub 250-300 watts with that amp. It'll get me by for now till I can afford a better system. And if I do go ported I'll probably use a 2.5 x 3" port. that will put my tuning a lil higher at 38

I wouldn't recommend port area that low. You'd sound better totally sealed for a matter of fact. Why not do a slot port of you really do wanna go ported?

*Edit- I'm tuned in for the build. Didn't wanna come off as negative, I really am looking forward to it and wish you the best of luck throughout the process.

*Edit 2- I noticed you didn't add sub displacements in Torres, they will decrease volume and raise tuning.

good thing you said that about the sub displacement. they are the slimmest subs on the market right now at only a 2in mounting depth. I know that the RF P3SD212 has a .07 displacment and since these are thinner it will probably be .05-.06. Even at .06 each that leaves me with 1.8ci net. and going on what you guys are saying since you know a lot more than I do I'm just going to go sealed

Nice truck, I own an 83 ext. cab. Since it is a short cab i also recommend doing a sealed enclosure. Those woofers should do good in there. When I first aquired my truck I did a pair of Boston 4x6 plates and 3 10's sealed off an alpine five channel. 4x6 are not the best if you are looking for any mid bass. I ended up putting in a 3-way cutting the door for a 6.5 and putting in kick panels (q logic) for a 4" and tweeter. Recently I changed it up and moved the 4" and tweeter to the stock 4x6 location on a custom baffle and upgraded to an 8" mid bass driver in the door.

I am selling the kick panels if your interested. They are cut for a 5.25 component set. Nice thing is you dont have to cut the ddors and you will have some great imaging. May be a low imaging stage but, better than the 4x6.

Good luck with the truck.

Nice truck, I own an 83 ext. cab. Since it is a short cab i also recommend doing a sealed enclosure. Those woofers should do good in there. When I first aquired my truck I did a pair of Boston 4x6 plates and 3 10's sealed off an alpine five channel. 4x6 are not the best if you are looking for any mid bass. I ended up putting in a 3-way cutting the door for a 6.5 and putting in kick panels (q logic) for a 4" and tweeter. Recently I changed it up and moved the 4" and tweeter to the stock 4x6 location on a custom baffle and upgraded to an 8" mid bass driver in the door.

I am selling the kick panels if your interested. They are cut for a 5.25 component set. Nice thing is you dont have to cut the ddors and you will have some great imaging. May be a low imaging stage but, better than the 4x6.

Good luck with the truck.

yeh I know the 4x6s aren't good for mids but they work for right now. Once I get some more cash and get a lil more brave I was actually thinking about cutting out the dash a lil bit and trying to stuff 5.25" in the stock 4x6 spot in the dash. and no sorry I cant do kick panels. I need all the leg room I can get. I'm not exactly the smallest person in the world and I'm already stuffing my fatass in a regular cab s10. plus I do go mudding and trail riding and my floors usually get covered in mud from me getting in and out. This is part of the reason I'm holding off from doing my door panels.

Ooh and a fun little fact too about my hood scoops and my k&n xtreme flow air filter with the top filter. it actually boosted my gas mileage from 17 up to 25mpg. just a lil hint if anyone needs to get a lil more mpg out of their carbed/throttlebody trucks. I'll post pics of this in a couple days after I get my 0 gauge in to do my big 3 should hopefully be here Thursday or Friday

Archived