new truck need speaker advice

hello everyone, i just bought a 2010 f-150. It has 4 6x8" 1 in each door. I replaced the factory headunit with a pioneer x910bt double din. It sounds horrible, the factory speakers have lots of distortion and sound very muddy. i really dont want to add a amp unless absoultly necessary. Does anyone have any suggestion on what to replace the factory speakers with? My budjet is about $250 for all new speakers. Am i better off with some coaxials or componets? Any help would be great, thanks

hello everyone, i just bought a 2010 f-150. It has 4 6x8" 1 in each door. I replaced the factory headunit with a pioneer x910bt double din. It sounds horrible, the factory speakers have lots of distortion and sound very muddy. i really dont want to add a amp unless absoultly necessary. Does anyone have any suggestion on what to replace the factory speakers with? My budjet is about $250 for all new speakers. Am i better off with some coaxials or componets? Any help would be great, thanks

well, i haven't seen any 6x8" components(but i'm sure they are around?).. but full range speakers though, i'd possibly look into Kicker/Rockford Fosgate/MB Quart as they are pretty decent for the price and still cheap enough to at least get some sort of amp to go with them. I know places like Best Buy have a lot of those Infinity speakers they're trying to push(and also good prices) but the high's on those things are a bit of an issue... unless you don't plan on playing music loud.

if your truck can take 6x5" though, then i would suggest the Polk-Audio DXI 6500's(components). they are very good for the price(what i have in my Astro van)

• 3 weeks later...

I have an 03 f250 has the same speakers and I found some component speakers that have a 5.25 speaker with a tweeter and it all fits on a plate that fits into the stock 5x7(6x8) mounting. I think it was 110 for a set of kenwoods like that off if audiosavings. Looking to get me a pair to test out. Hope this helps.

BABYJUICE

QUICK, trade it in for a chevy before the realization that you bought a ford sinks in and you shoot yourself!

Seriously though, get some regular components and make your own adapter rings out of hardboard like this

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-202088786/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053. dark brown stuff, smooth on one side textured on the other, really hard.

Honestly I would stick with the 6x8. I had T1 Fosgate components in my 01 Expedtion and built rings out of MDF. They sounded great but getting a tight seal is hard so the midbass lacked. I instead got T1 6x8s and the midbass is great and highs are wonderful. In your case of not running an amplifier I think changing out to 6.5" you would really miss the midbass that a 6x8 could provide and you don't need to do any building or modifying.

Honestly I would stick with the 6x8. I had T1 Fosgate components in my 01 Expedtion and built rings out of MDF. They sounded great but getting a tight seal is hard so the midbass lacked. I instead got T1 6x8s and the midbass is great and highs are wonderful. In your case of not running an amplifier I think changing out to 6.5" you would really miss the midbass that a 6x8 could provide and you don't need to do any building or modifying.

round speakers sound better than ovals. like sanitarium sorta said

Edited by Kranny

Of course under perfect conditions I 100% agree with that, but as I said I am just hesitant in his setup to loose the midbass from the extra cone area. If you could get a good seal on a pair of 6.5" then it'd probably not make a difference. But in that truck the door window actuator is so close to the inner panel and you don't have much room between the inner panel and actual door panel to fab a good conversion plate.

To solve all problems, build pods with 6.5"! Lol

I was lookin for some comps on audio savins and i saw this right after i read your post you should check them out here is the link goo luck with you install.

The Midget Looks Into Your Soul

2008 Dodge am 3500HD with the 6.7 Cummins

Race Me tuner, dpf deleted

kenwood double din

cheap walmart speakers for now(infinity reference comps comps coming soon)

2 kicker L5's in a ported box of unknown tuning lol(soon to be changed)

Power acoustic 1500.1 on the subs (for now)