1995 Chevy Truck Build! THE HULK. Updates!!

Didn't get anything done today either. Still trying to figure out these damn seats. what a pain in the ass man. I run into problems to much lol. <_< But please, don't lose faith in me. I will get this done!!! I promise!! It is just going to be a slower build. Money is super right. Like i said, this will get done boys.

My Truck Build
sigpic2503_3.gif
Spending money on things I don't need, to impress others I don't know.
At the end of the day for me its about the love of customizing anything and everything to limits or even past reasonable.-SkyHighCarAudio

First off, you're doing great. Your patience and attention to detail will definitely lead to a great little system. You kind of remind me of KC http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/user/18072-tahoexfixssd/ Which is a great compliment, btw.

Now to answer some of your questions:

1) Power - Your buddy is saying each sub will see 700RMS. That might be true if everything were perfect, and everything was 100% efficient. But that isn't the case. While the subs are playing, they don't actually see a nominal ohm load (1 ohm). There is something called box rise that makes the impedance of the subs higher while playing. So your subs will have more resistance while playing, making them receive less power from the amp. I'd say realistically, your subs might be seeing 250-300 Watts RMS each after box rise. However, not all conditions are the same so they could be seeing more or less than that, dependent on a few variables of the box. My advice would be don't worry about it. You have a nice amp, and plan on getting some nice subs. Keep it at that, and try out a few boxes. Worry about the power your subs are actually seeing after you've found a box that works well, and want to find a gain.

2) Clipped signal -

Refers to the sine wave.

clip.gif

http://www.bcae1.com/2ltlpwr.htm

DAMN......

First and foremost man nice truck. Second much props for putting in the work, asking questions and listening to the advice. I'm 35 and been in to Car Audio since I was about your age but, didn't do my first system until I was 16 and no way close to this. Third, Blackedout and Loganberry almost brought a tear to my eye seeing how far they have come since they first joined this community.

I have not sat down and read a thread from the beginning and read through more than a page or two in years. This is page nine and I just finished reading all nine pages. It peaked my interest because I own a 98 ext. cab silverado, I never did a build log on any of the systems but, you have truely inspired me to do one now. I've done the pre-fab sealed box with 2 12's, Sealed 3 10's, Ported 6 10's and finally decided to remove the back seat and currently running 2 15's ported corner loaded on both sides.

However, I had a baby recently and need to put the back seat back in. Rolling with no system is never an option. Hell I bought a brand new Van back in February and within two weeks I ripped out the stereo. Anyways, your build log has been so inspiring and helpful with the pics. I knew I was going to glass the bottom of the enclosure but, wasn't sure about the amps. I couldn't remember if I could mount them on the back wall and still have clearance for the seat to fold up and down. Also seeing the mounting depth you have solidified my idea of what to run.

I'll be honest I am not on this forum as much as I used to be so I may not know how this build finishes but, I truely hope to check back in a couple of weeks. Good Luck man you are doing an awesome job, especially for being 15 and your first box. I have lost count on how many boxes I have built over the past 20 years and I am still learning. Thanks for the inspiration.

Speaking of inspirations, you're the guy who inspired me to keep going with car audio, even after all the mistakes that I made. When I first heard your S-10, you brought a whole new light to my eyes of what a system really could be. I appreciate the kudos Kimo. If it weren't for people like you, the hobby and the sport wouldn't be the same for the young people such as myself and TwoStrokeKing.

First off, you're doing great. Your patience and attention to detail will definitely lead to a great little system. You kind of remind me of KC http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/user/18072-tahoexfixssd/ Which is a great compliment, btw.

Now to answer some of your questions:

1) Power - Your buddy is saying each sub will see 700RMS. That might be true if everything were perfect, and everything was 100% efficient. But that isn't the case. While the subs are playing, they don't actually see a nominal ohm load (1 ohm). There is something called box rise that makes the impedance of the subs higher while playing. So your subs will have more resistance while playing, making them receive less power from the amp. I'd say realistically, your subs might be seeing 250-300 Watts RMS each after box rise. However, not all conditions are the same so they could be seeing more or less than that, dependent on a few variables of the box. My advice would be don't worry about it. You have a nice amp, and plan on getting some nice subs. Keep it at that, and try out a few boxes. Worry about the power your subs are actually seeing after you've found a box that works well, and want to find a gain.

2) Clipped signal -

Refers to the sine wave.

clip.gif

http://www.bcae1.com/2ltlpwr.htm

DAMN......

First and foremost man nice truck. Second much props for putting in the work, asking questions and listening to the advice. I'm 35 and been in to Car Audio since I was about your age but, didn't do my first system until I was 16 and no way close to this. Third, Blackedout and Loganberry almost brought a tear to my eye seeing how far they have come since they first joined this community.

I have not sat down and read a thread from the beginning and read through more than a page or two in years. This is page nine and I just finished reading all nine pages. It peaked my interest because I own a 98 ext. cab silverado, I never did a build log on any of the systems but, you have truely inspired me to do one now. I've done the pre-fab sealed box with 2 12's, Sealed 3 10's, Ported 6 10's and finally decided to remove the back seat and currently running 2 15's ported corner loaded on both sides.

However, I had a baby recently and need to put the back seat back in. Rolling with no system is never an option. Hell I bought a brand new Van back in February and within two weeks I ripped out the stereo. Anyways, your build log has been so inspiring and helpful with the pics. I knew I was going to glass the bottom of the enclosure but, wasn't sure about the amps. I couldn't remember if I could mount them on the back wall and still have clearance for the seat to fold up and down. Also seeing the mounting depth you have solidified my idea of what to run.

I'll be honest I am not on this forum as much as I used to be so I may not know how this build finishes but, I truely hope to check back in a couple of weeks. Good Luck man you are doing an awesome job, especially for being 15 and your first box. I have lost count on how many boxes I have built over the past 20 years and I am still learning. Thanks for the inspiration.

Speaking of inspirations, you're the guy who inspired me to keep going with car audio, even after all the mistakes that I made. When I first heard your S-10, you brought a whole new light to my eyes of what a system really could be. I appreciate the kudos Kimo. If it weren't for people like you, the hobby and the sport wouldn't be the same for the young people such as myself and TwoStrokeKing.

Thanks so much man! You guys kick ass! I'm tryin hard!

My Truck Build
sigpic2503_3.gif
At the end of the day for me its about the love of customizing anything and everything to limits or even past reasonable.-SkyHighCarAudio

More damn problems. This sucks. lol. I can go 9.25" high max in the front so that is how high i went. The seat then tapers back 14.5" and is 3" high in the back. The magnet diameter is 6.25" well as you know the seat tapers so i have to taper the top and sides of the box with the seat. The mounting depth is 5.25" I'm having a hard time getting the sub woofer magnets to clear the top of the box because i can only go so high. Lol there are to many damn problems. :drinks:

My Truck Build
sigpic2503_3.gif

Here's an idea. When I had my dodge ram, I wanted 12's in there bad, and to get them in there and go under the seats etc with enough of an enclosure, albeit sealed, I had to raise the seat. Now I didn't do it the smart way, I used heavy duty bolts that were stronger than the oem ones (don't ask me I don't remember what kind they were but I got em from a supply shop and they were red tinted, IIRC), and then stacked a couple of pieces of MDF under the seat brackets. Now that I'm a little more experienced and knowledgable, I would NEVER EVER do that again nor would I recommend anyone do it.

HOWEVER, all that being said, another way to go is to get some square steel tubing from a metal shop, and drill out the oem holes and use those as spacers to raise the seat a couple of inches and that would help your height issues. You'll need longer bolts though, and you'll need stronger ones, as far as I remember. Either someone told me that or I just figured that the longer the bolt the less integrity it had. But someone else can chime in on that one if they know for sure.

Just a thought. :shrug:

Remove that seat. Youll have no problems and could go big ;) I wanted Subs under myseat untill I started measuring and was complicated. Removed backseat and now I got a huge box for two 15's. I'd rather impress people with my db's then spend gas driving them around :D

Driving my 2008 Dodge Ram 2500 MEGA cab with the 5.7 hemi.

Audio: Two 10" Alpine Type R's ( 1000rms models )

Hifonics BRZ 2400.1D @ .5 ohm

Two Kinetic 1400 batteries ( soon to have XS power under hood )

Tsunami 1/0 Awg wire throughout truck.

Stock Infinity 7 speaker system ( Junk ) soon to be replaced, probably all Alpine.

Exterior: 17"Dick cepek rims with 33" Toyo MT tires

Bushwacker fender flares

Magnaflow true duel exhaust

LED tail lights with Projector headlights

Plasti-dip fun coming soon!

I THINK I got it :) haha need wood to be forsure but the cardboard template is working

My Truck Build
sigpic2503_3.gif

Ok, go get the wood and make it happen man! :yahoo:

GOT THE WOOD! Me and my dad were looking at it and we decided that with the doubled baffle we are pretty positive it will work. I cut one side piece, glued it and screwed it and we decided that to be safe imma go 3/8" higher. Pics will start rollin in soon! I expect to have a lot done this weekend! thanks for all the support guys

My Truck Build
sigpic2503_3.gif

Okay I cut one side. And like i said i am pretty sure that it is going to work :D Im stoked about it. I am trying to work on it as hard and as much as i can. Its snowing here though and dad moved all my stuff out side for the day while he worked on putting a new radiator in his truck. So when i can get the garage back ill go back at it. Here is my tuning stuff. I have learned how such little stuff can effect the tuning and it is very hard to get everything perfect with the floor and all that. I am trying my best to be accurate. How does all this look?

:drinks:

Capture-15.jpg

EDIT! Balls, i forgot to put in wood thickness and double baffle

My Truck Build
sigpic2503_3.gif

Archived