Mechman Alternators

Sooo.. I got a gift and it's here

DSC00943.jpg

Pioneer Premier P880PRS ll Front Stage: US Acoustics 4060 - Random speakers currently ll Sub Stage: Crescendo BC3500D - 15" Xcon sealed @ 3.28 cubes ll Electrical: - Kinetik HC1800(front) NEW***DieHard P-2(rear)

beaker- I know this sounds like a lot of anime bullshit, but it is true.

DSC00952_sepia.jpg

Pioneer Premier P880PRS ll Front Stage: US Acoustics 4060 - Random speakers currently ll Sub Stage: Crescendo BC3500D - 15" Xcon sealed @ 3.28 cubes ll Electrical: - Kinetik HC1800(front) NEW***DieHard P-2(rear)

DSC00955_b%252526w_focal.jpg

:ehh: How did it go?

Okay, so I need some major help..

When I had installed the MechMan alternator I realized my ride home from the mechanic yieled insane voltage variance so I called MechMan and spoke to Eric... He told me I should upgrade the wire as soon as I can since it needs to carry more amperage than the stock ... I went home and did the positive post to the positive terminal on the battery and then I did the alternator casing to negative terminal on the battery... Then I went ahead and did the adjustment to the avbm again since I wanted to make sure everything was charging right..

I called Mechman and spoke with Matt who told me I could use a mount hole that was on the casing but to sand off the coating which I did... so wiring was all done, I install a 300a fuse and good to go...

Now the issue is my voltage drops at idle to insane low numbers.... 12.6v and under... I called Mechman and they asked the resting voltage of my batteries and I couldn't give a definitive answer since I hadn't tested in a while... Matt stated that stock alternators have better voltage at idle rpm than the Mechmans since that is how they are manufactured.. and they kick in really at 700 rpm OK .... So I take it for what it is... On my way to work I was driving around and everything was great, voltage steady at 14.9-15.2v when above 1k on the dash... Once at a red light, my voltage began to drop to 12.2 and then 12.6 and then 12.0v ... I got worried and revved the engine to 1k to get the voltage back up .. at this point I turned off the music so I could see how that affected the voltage... At the next red light I experienced the same voltage drop to 12.0v then jump back to 12.6 ..

Again once I get about 1k the voltage is steady at 14.9v ... I am assuming my car is idling under 600 maybe even 400 since I'm guessing by looking at the needle...

What can I do to make sure it isn't the alternator?

I think I need to charge the batteries overnight ??.. I have a HC1800 under the hood, and a HC800 in the trunk....

attery resting voltages are : 12.76(front) and 12.72(rear) .... Is that okay???

My h/o alt is doing the same (not a mechman), although it stays that way,even at higher rpms. Im in the works of getting a mechman soon.

Edited by the808path

teamsundown3hx11.jpgxs1.jpgDCPowerLogoTransparent2-1.png

2010 Pathfinder

Sundown Audio - SAZ 4500- Zv.3 15"x 2 w/ Nightshade coils

Sundown Audio - SAX 100.4d- Focal Utopias 165w2 (fronts), rockford t1652 (rears)

DC Power Engineering - 270XP

Knukonceptz and Rockford 1/0 wire through out

XS Power D3100s x2 and a "god ol" Optima Yellow Top up front

Mine does the same thing (Powermaster). My car is pushing 200k miles and every once in a while i get a single cylinder one-time misfire and my RPM drops and the the voltage drops to 12.4-12.8V and when I get going again it runs fine again at 14.4-14.8. At a stop light my car also idles at about 700 rpm. I also noticed it happens more when the car is warming up and stops doing it once everything gets nice and warm.

Edited by Lbox88

Battery resting voltage is OK.

On the Toyotas there is usually an adjustment for the throttle stop or the idle air bypass that can be made to raise the idle slightly. You are idling under the unit's turn on speed from what you describe and usually it will only take 50-100rpm to get it back where it belongs.

How bout nissans? Is that normal?

Edited by the808path

teamsundown3hx11.jpgxs1.jpgDCPowerLogoTransparent2-1.png

2010 Pathfinder

Sundown Audio - SAZ 4500- Zv.3 15"x 2 w/ Nightshade coils

Sundown Audio - SAX 100.4d- Focal Utopias 165w2 (fronts), rockford t1652 (rears)

DC Power Engineering - 270XP

Knukonceptz and Rockford 1/0 wire through out

XS Power D3100s x2 and a "god ol" Optima Yellow Top up front