Second Skin Audio

Thoughts about smaller cone but bigger motor vs bigger cone and smaller motor

Ok sorry ahead of time if i get long winded here lol. Ive been going back and forth on my next build for a damn year now and heres where im a bit stuck. I either want to do a single DC 15" on a dc 2k or a single 12" dc lvl 5 on 2 dc 2ks strapped. Id want to do the xl because i loved my old xl 15 and know what box size works and fits in my trunk. However ive been thinking the lvl 5 12 to try something dif than before. I would also have more space taking that route to build a beefier and more efficiant box but wouldnt have to cone area of the 15. So wonderin what yall think and why. What benifits other then what i already know should i consider. They are both beasts in my book and know id be happy either way but either setup is alot dif from eachother. Ok im done blabbin lol

Edited by cracker

more cone means less excursion to for the same output and also gives the ability to go lower frequency wise before running out of excursion, assuming each uses a similar coil/motor setup that can attain the same excursion levels. 15mm xmax 15" vs 25mm xmax 12" would be a toss-up for example.

Motor all depends on the design of the motor and the coil. Could be a tight gap or a loose gap, not to mention depth, back-plate design, pole design (solid vs ported), and top plate design..

Tons of things to consider.

MickyMcD - "Capable of making some serious trouser flapping volumes at where's-my-testicles frequencies, the Servo-Drives used to be fairly jaw dropping..."

Any time you have have a power wire next to your frame put some rubber hosing (or cut up an innertube) around it. The wire is bound to wiggle (due to driving or flex) and the casing will eventually wear through.

Hammerdown... 1%

no links to outside websites, business related FB/YT pages allowed.

^^^ :good:

Like was mentioned above, there are MANY factors that play into this but on the theoretical note:

Doubling power = +3dB

Doubling cone area = +3dB

You're not quite doubling the cone area by going from 12" to 15" but you might be close with either solution.

Again theoretically +10dB is considered to be perceived as being twice as loud. This requires increasing power by 10x...

:shrug:

I say do what makes you happy and go with it.

This post sent with 100% recycled electrons.
2004 BMW M3
Mechman 280A
2 - XS Power XP3000

1 - XS Power D375

500F of Maxwell SuperCaps (soon to be 1000F)
iPadMini2

Dash mounted O-scope
Audison bitOne (Remote DRC MP)
Highs Amp - PPI Art A404
Hertz HSK130 (HSK165 waiting...)
DC Audio DC9.0K
2- DC Audio XL12m2

LEGAL             - 147.3dB @ 41Hz
OUTLAW         - 150.2dB @ 45Hz

OUTLAW         - 145.7dB @ 30Hz
JUNE 2014 SOTM WINNER

2014 COLORADO PEOPLE'S CHOICE WINNER

SOTM BUILD:
http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/141656-wicks-e46-m3-build-bass-turbo-button-and-a-big-new-addition/page-68#entry2802026

sig-sized6_zps0265e669.png

The old saying goes,

"There's no replacement for displacement"

www.phoenixphorum.com

Setup

HU: Eclipse AVN6620

Amp: Audison LRx5.1k

Mids: 6 1/2" Silver Flute's

Tweets: Clarion SSS601

No rears

Subs: (2) TREO SSi12.22's

Processing: Audio Control DQS, Phoenix Gold BassCube

Clarion Collector

HEAD UNITS:

7770 w/920EQ w/2nd 920EQ display

ADCS-1 w/CDC605

5780CD

DRX9375r w/DPH9300

DRX9575Rz w/DPH7500z* (*1 of2)

DRX9675z (2X)

AutoPC 310

HX-D10 w/DPH910

DXZ615 w/DPH7500z* (*2 of 2)

CDC655

DRX8275 w/DPH9100

DRX7475

5632CD

AMPS:

A007-w

1800A

A1200

A500

APA4200

APA4320

APX400.4M

SPEAKERS:

SSS601 (2X)

SRC4650

SRC5752

SEC571

SEW5107

Ok so what im gettin is i could prob get close to the same output and or sound either choice, just depends on what space i want to give up for build or equipment? I thought about the level 5 15 too trust me lol but considerin i cant give up the whole trunk and would need more amps and batt with any size level 5 over the xl id go with the 12 there. Hmm, thinkin keeps on goin lol. I plan to start buyin equipment after the new year so theres still time to decide. Anybody ever hear the 2 dif subs in person by chance? The xl 15 and level 5 12. Im thinkin with the monster motor force of the level 5 it just has to be a mean lil shit. Ive had the level 4 15 and xl 15 to compare and damn the xl just was on another level ha

Ok so what im gettin is i could prob get close to the same output and or sound either choice, just depends on what space i want to give up for build or equipment? I thought about the level 5 15 too trust me lol but considerin i cant give up the whole trunk and would need more amps and batt with any size level 5 over the xl id go with the 12 there. Hmm, thinkin keeps on goin lol. I plan to start buyin equipment after the new year so theres still time to decide. Anybody ever hear the 2 dif subs in person by chance? The xl 15 and level 5 12. Im thinkin with the monster motor force of the level 5 it just has to be a mean lil shit. Ive had the level 4 15 and xl 15 to compare and damn the xl just was on another level ha

I've owned xl 15's and a 5 12. The single level 5 got down on a 3.5k, hit lows and got loud. And that was in a less than ideal enclosure.

When I had two xl 15's(on a Stetsom 7k), it was way louder, they were in an ideal enclosure though and there were two of them. The xl's do sound a little 'cleaner', don't want to say more sq, but they are smoother.

XL 15 on 3.5k is my vote.

SMD Super Seller

My Feedback Thread

Ok i hear ya orionstang. With the amp choice id do the 2ks out of price to the 7.5k and will most likely pickup one of them before making a final decision on sub. One thing i should also add is the enclosure i could build for the xl 15 would lack a few things due to size. I couldnt add 45s to the corners and not much bracing at all, single layer everywhere but the front where i could double it. With the level 5 12 id have room to double layer all around, add bracing and 45s in the corners. Id also have more room for more port. Im not out for sq i just want it to hit hard n get pretty damn low. Thanks for the responses and i will def be considering everything thats been said