Second Skin Audio

Breakin in a sub

not really, all it does is loosen the suspension components, and the surround, if anything you will be able to push most the power to it when its new, cause it will be stiffer, and harder to reach is xmas when pushing lots of watts, as the sub loosens it will probably play the notes better and sound better, as it will be able to respond better to a softer less ridgid suspension

to better answer, just play it, play the hell out of it, dont clip, and have fun :D doesnt hurt to do it, doesnt hurt to not do it :D

kind of like, do you need to break in a big old lazyboy type chair, well it will probably fell better once its broken in, but it feels good new too :D

Edited by dereileak

2006 Mazda3 Hatchback Black 5 Spd Manual
Pioneer 4300DVD
2 Sundown SA-12 (34hz Tune, 3.22 cubes, 14.5 inches per cube, Triple Baffle)
Kicker 10ZX2500.1 (2845 RMS) Sub Amp
Kicker 11ZX650.4 (705 RMS) Mid Amp -- (3 Amps)
Kicker KQ3 Active Crossover
Kicker KQ30 Equalizer
Kicker 09QS60.2 Components (Woven Carbon Cones)
Kicker 09QS65.2 Components (Woven Carbon Cones) - (3 Sets)
2/0 Gauge Electron Beam Technologies (3 Runs, 2 +, 1 -)

1/0 Gauge KNU Kollasal Flex (1 Run for -)

300 Ft Kicker X-Series 16 Gauge Speaker Wire
XS Power D3400 (Rear)
XS Power D3100 (Front)
Singer Externally Regulated Alternator (Being Built)

+ The Love for Car Audio and BASS <3

UBL Build Log <------- Click Here-------> Normal Build Log (For Comments)

Just throw 'em in and give 'em hell. The only reason I can honestly see "breaking a sub in" is to loosen up the new/stiff suspension. Looser suspensions fight the motor force less.. So maybe it's more of a "to reach optimum performance" thing..

'11 Jeep Patriot New Build

Head Unit: Pioneer AVH-P3200DVD

Front: Massive CK69 Components

Front Amp: Massive NX2

Rears: Infinity Kappa's

Subs: 8 Sundown SA-8 v2's

Sub Amp: AB 450.1

XS D3100

Come on 150!

Its a sub, crank it up.

I gota 2nd this its a sub, it wants you to use it.

That being said, don't plug it in and press play with it cranked.

I "brake in" my subs.. kinda... I go out into the middle of nowhere (cuz I got 18s haha) and I spend the day playing with it, I'll start around 60% volume and bring it up slowly across a couple hours turning it up now n then till I'm pushing it to around where I'd like to stop at, for me its around 2x1800watts bridged at around 95% volume.

Just do the math of your sub verse amp and you should know roughly what your head-room looks like and just creep up to that, I don't see any reason why you should have to wait a couple weeks to near-max your sub out, just creep up to it verse just throwing the loud volume on and you should be fine.

If its anytihng smaller then a 12' I wouldn't even bother trying to play it safe, crank'er up regardless.

Its a sub, crank it up.

I gota 2nd this its a sub, it wants you to use it.

That being said, don't plug it in and press play with it cranked.

I "brake in" my subs.. kinda... I go out into the middle of nowhere (cuz I got 18s haha) and I spend the day playing with it, I'll start around 60% volume and bring it up slowly across a couple hours turning it up now n then till I'm pushing it to around where I'd like to stop at, for me its around 2x1800watts bridged at around 95% volume.

Just do the math of your sub verse amp and you should know roughly what your head-room looks like and just creep up to that, I don't see any reason why you should have to wait a couple weeks to near-max your sub out, just creep up to it verse just throwing the loud volume on and you should be fine.

If its anytihng smaller then a 12' I wouldn't even bother trying to play it safe, crank'er up regardless.

Huh..? 95% volume? And sub size plays a role in 'break-in'? :nea:

Edited by loudNlow87

XS D3100

Come on 150!

i have never broke in my subs never thought i would i guess i dont play loud, my brother got his first sound system ever with one 12 fosgate and a brutus and a week later he wanted more so got himself 2 RE XXX 15 and 2 re XTX5000.1 and the first day he blew the coil out of the motor, he never played them soft and it went out with a bang and now he has to pay $170 to recone it

Play them normal for a couple days... if it a new system box etc try different songs see what sounds best and turn it up a lil moreaa don't clip.. after a few days you can tell when they start breking ing cause they will start playing lower.. for me when I recone just. 1 or 2 subs I like to free air it at 20hz low to med volume to loosen it up to catch up with other subs

TEAM DC AUDIO

VEHICLE:98 chevy tahoe 2wd 3-4 drop

HEADUNIT:alpine 9886

PREAMP:arcaudio

FRONT STAGE:4-6 1/2s selinium,DD component set and 4-selinium tweeters in each door

KICKPANELS:jl audio 5 1/4

REAR DOORS: dd components 6 1/2s

HIGHS AMPS:zapco 750.2 on front doors,zapco an another 750.2 on kicks and rear doors

SUBS:4-ascendant audio 18s with 5 spiders in a custom box built by KINGSUV

SUB AMP: 2-dc7.5s

ALTERNATORS: 3-mechmans 1- 425comp, 1-smd spec350, 1-270 with adj voltage harness on custom dc bracket

WIRE:10-runs 0g front to back

BATTERIES:6-d1400s

TL results:157.1 at 38hz and 156.8 at headrest score @37hz. STATE AND NATIONAL RECORD IN MECA S5.

i have never broke in my subs never thought i would i guess i dont play loud, my brother got his first sound system ever with one 12 fosgate and a brutus and a week later he wanted more so got himself 2 RE XXX 15 and 2 re XTX5000.1 and the first day he blew the coil out of the motor, he never played them soft and it went out with a bang and now he has to pay $170 to recone it

If this is a true story.. This wasn't due to neglecting 'break-in', I promise you. That's the result of clipped signals.

XS D3100

Come on 150!

If this is a true story.. This wasn't due to neglecting 'break-in', I promise you. That's the result of clipped signals.

yeah i guess, my mine are clipping and i get smell not a blown coil, he never got it to smell and it was installed by professionals so they should have check it wasn't clipping before handing him the car

edit: it is a true story i wouldnt just say it when i know there is people on here that know more than me. it sucks to have a $700+ sub blown in one day because of a bad install

Edited by Miguels

pro's could have set it perfectly, but that doesnt mean he didnt mess with it or toss in a CD with boosted levels or who knows what else.. same goes for plugging in an ipod or anything really.

My bet goes to the amps cooking the subs though.

MickyMcD - "Capable of making some serious trouser flapping volumes at where's-my-testicles frequencies, the Servo-Drives used to be fairly jaw dropping..."

Any time you have have a power wire next to your frame put some rubber hosing (or cut up an innertube) around it. The wire is bound to wiggle (due to driving or flex) and the casing will eventually wear through.

Hammerdown... 1%

no links to outside websites, business related FB/YT pages allowed.