Second Skin Audio

Largest sub "Still in production"?

GreenSpade

Not to mention, an 18" being lower and less punchy then a 12" or 15"? Lol...

What I mean by that is a 18 will go lower in hz, you'll feel it more.

Where as a 15 or a 12 will not go as low and focus more energy on different hz, the higher end of the hz scale, it gives it more of a punchy sound. Not saying its sounding better, but its more of a "pop" verse a growl.

The larger the sub the more growl (as far as 19/15/12s anyways) and the smaller the sub, the less growl and more of a pop/punch hit you'll get. Thats why mixing the two is great.

^^^ a false common belief

Call it what you want, when I put a bunch of *PA* gear next to eachother I come to my own concolutions, I'm not reading a book or taking someones opinion, I'm speaking from experience here.

12s and 15s dont go down to 20hz or lower, most 18s do, but lets assume for a sec they both go to the same hz. Like my buddys Yorkville PA 18 and his 12s,(Both go down to 32hz 1000watt 12's mains w/ 1200watt 18' bass cannon.) the 12s are not "invisable" they give a "different sounding" bass note more of a "pop" or "Punch" then the growly bass note like from the 18, you can hear the 18 just isnt as tight and it shouldn't be, its made for something dfferent, "not that thats a bad thing at all" cuz its ment to sound like that and its great.

But this is why you should be mixing speakers each ones going to give a different sound to your set, even two different 18s will add a different note/feel each (I have 3 different 18s, 4 total, 2 are the same). Most 18 subs cut off around 75-100 hz as well, where a 12 or 15 you can use it as a mid-range and give it a much wider hz range, thus giving it a different sounding, more pop/punchy hit. Its that Or I'd have a bunch of 18'inch mains with 18 subs n couple horns for highs, verse 15's to go with my 18 subs if one size speaker was clearly better.

You might be right with car audio, but I guess I'm talking about higher "quality" PRO Audio (PA) speakers here, that give tighter bass notes, that travels further.. verse ones made to be beaten on, that have the most excursion. Not that thats a bad thing, they sound great when your 4 feet away from them (Where I'm placing this sub anyways) Its just if you only base your opinion on what you hear online and the small amount of speaker you may have bought, I'd say its a pretty bias opinion, even moreso since most people find something they like or have heard good things about and sticks with that company.

Sooo... I guess unless you got some facts to backup your statement, I gota just chock this up as a battle of opinions.

This is a dumb ass thread. First off, wouldnt this be better placed in home audio, as this forum is about car subs, secondly, who the fuck gives half a crap about wanting a look as opposed to the end result...thats just dumb.. "I wanna wow people with a reallllly big shitty sounding woofer"... just do what the other dumbass dj's around here do, buy some silly lights and a smoke machine bro. :peepwall:

1999 Lincoln Town Car-(build underway)

- (2) SA15s, 4th order, DAT 2500.1, O2 mids n highs, 250a alt, HC 2400, Big 3....

1994 Pontiac T/A for speeding tickets.-

- Currently on jack stands, wanting to be a real race car

"Your local forecast, all the ladies in the metro area should expect to see 8 inches tonight" - The Todd

Decaf, on 01 November 2011 - 02:38 PM, said:

i provide the ammo for destruction, the trigger finger is connected to the volume knob tho

URBAN GORILLA AUDIO

the only thing ill say in this thread is my 2 15s play down to 20 hz and dont reach mechanical limit. as far as lower i feel no need to play lower even though im sure i can. shrug.gif

Fusion With A Stetsom 4k2d on 2 DC XL 15s tuned to 31hz and Subs and ports forward

The Revolution Was Not Televised

But There Is This Thread(clicky)

Dr Merkenstein is my 360 gamertag and my profession. When shit gets real, call in the Doc

Greenspade, the way you observated was wrong.

All differents size subwoofers from the same line of a manufacturer will hit as 'fast" and as low or high as you won't.

There will be a minimal difference, but that difference is not hearable by ear.

The waves PA speakers and subwoofers put out are the same.

It's the enclosure that make the sound travel further. Horns are one of those.

Thinking is the root of all problems...

You ALWAYS get what you pay for.

Greenspade, the way you observated was wrong.

All differents size subwoofers from the same line of a manufacturer will hit as 'fast" and as low or high as you won't.

There will be a minimal difference, but that difference is not hearable by ear.

The waves PA speakers and subwoofers put out are the same.

It's the enclosure that make the sound travel further. Horns are one of those.

I would have to disagree with this.

Pa speakers are made, not to give a "fast hit" thats not what I'm talking about at all, not even close. I'm talking about how the hit sounds, not how fast it hits, I'm not saying the 18s are slower, I'm not saying they're worse, I'm saying they're different.

If you cannot hear the difference when you turn on a bunch of 18s and then turn them off and turn on a bunch of 15s, then you need to go get a bunch of 18s and 15s and 12s then.

Now the whole car vs pa thing, your car audio is ment to be in a pressured box, not a box with proper airflow, just so you can get a proper sounding hit.. The Power you use is of low quality distorted energy and thats what these speakers are made to work with, thats why they're made to take such a beating cuz They have to! since your useing such dirty *distorted* power with it to start with. If you seriously think that car audio is the same as pa audio then I'm not sure what else I needa say here, you've already proved yourself to not know much, about something even as simple as how a car audio amp works with its D or G class power or worse. You ever wonder why car audio has the highest excursion? Its so it can sound good 2 feet away from your head and so they can take the massive beating your going to give to them from insane volume levels with dirty distorted power that PA gear would not be able to handle very well, cuz it expects clean, tighter power with no distortion.

Guess this is where your confusion comes in. I'm talking about distortion levels here, a 18 will have more distortion (growl) then a 15, a 15 will have more distortion then a 12. a 12 will have less dirtotion then a 15 and due to this, produce a tighter sounding bass note with less distortion. Same as the 15 vs the 18, its less distorted and tighter. Its not "super noticeable" but it is there and anyone who trys to tell me that it isn't, has not personally done the tests or had the years of experience with PRO audio gear I have, I understand you think your car audio is the best thing ever for whatever reasons, but each are better for their own reasons... and sound quality is not one of the ones for car audio, its close range spl, nothing else.

But this is totally off the point here, I'm after a large sub, not to sit here argueing with everyone about who thinks what aobut sound quality, I didn't come here for a battle of the opinions, I just wanted to try and find a large car audio sub to put in the middle of my stage., cuz pro audio doesn't make speakers with that much distortion, so they dont really go over a 21 to preserve sound quality.

But I guess thats just a matter of opinions then of what sounds like what, car audio guys always seem to have a bit of a weird opinion on such things, like a 1-2ohm watts and weight=better sound or something. If this was true you would see alot more car audio in profesional audio gear, but you don't cuz its not.

the only thing ill say in this thread is my 2 15s play down to 20 hz and dont reach mechanical limit. as far as lower i feel no need to play lower even though im sure i can. shrug.gif

yeah 20hz is about as low as you can go without tune'n your case to lower, cuz most amps cut off at around 20hz.

I'm not saying a 18 would go lower (in hz) then your 15 if they both did 20hz.

I'm saying your 15 will be less distorted and give a clearer sounding, more pop'y/punchy bass note with less distortion then the 18.

The 18 will give more of a distorted growl of a hit and sound completely different due to this, even if they're both the exact same watts and go down to the exact same hz.

Just like a 12 will be less distorted then a 15/18 and a 10 will be even less then that.

Again, not talking about hz, or spl here, talking about how much or less distorted the bass note is.

This is a dumb ass thread. First off, wouldnt this be better placed in home audio, as this forum is about car subs, secondly, who the fuck gives half a crap about wanting a look as opposed to the end result...thats just dumb.. "I wanna wow people with a reallllly big shitty sounding woofer"... just do what the other dumbass dj's around here do, buy some silly lights and a smoke machine bro. :peepwall:

I already have all the silly lights I need, thanks.

I'm buying this cuz I already have everything.

Picture a stage on scafolding: a 18 sub on each side of the sacfolding, with a main 15' w/horn ontop of each. And then another 15 w/horn on stands beside those.

Now picutre a 32 inch sub in the middle of that blocking the view of the stage.

Prettymuch why I want it, you can't rent a sub that big, I want people to know that this is owned gear, verse the other companeys around here that throw outdoor bush partys that just spend a couple hundred renting gear from long n mcquade.

And when did I once say I wanted a shity sounding sub? Pretty damn sure I've turned down subs due this already on this page even. I don't want a shity sounding sub, this is prob why I'll be buying a 24'inch sub, if I can find better, great, but I'm not in this for a large shity sounding sub man, I want something that sounds decent, it doesn't have to out-pound my 2x 1800s, it just has to be there, like my 18'inch 400watt sub that i use for the middle right now, its not invisable, its there and does its part, I just want something better for the middle then a low wattage 400watt 18, it sounds great and adds to the overall sound... But I want something better, its littorally the last thing i can think of to make my stage better.

So why do you care so much when this is littorally the last item I need?

Seriously getting sick of people jumping to concolutions here, before you post, read the fuckin thread.

yeah 20hz is about as low as you can go without tune'n your case to lower, cuz most amps cut off at around 20hz.

I'm saying your 15 will be less distorted and give a clearer sounding, more pop'y/punchy bass note with less distortion then the 18.

The 18 will give more of a distorted growl of a hit and sound completely different due to this, even if they're both the exact same watts and go down to the exact same hz.

Just like a 12 will be less distorted then a 15/18 and a 10 will be even less then that.

Again, not talking about hz, or spl here, talking about how much or less distorted the bass note is.

:orly3:

Edit: So your tellin me my 18 plays sloppier than the exact same sub in 15, all else being equal?

1999 Lincoln Town Car-(build underway)

- (2) SA15s, 4th order, DAT 2500.1, O2 mids n highs, 250a alt, HC 2400, Big 3....

1994 Pontiac T/A for speeding tickets.-

- Currently on jack stands, wanting to be a real race car

"Your local forecast, all the ladies in the metro area should expect to see 8 inches tonight" - The Todd

Decaf, on 01 November 2011 - 02:38 PM, said:

i provide the ammo for destruction, the trigger finger is connected to the volume knob tho

URBAN GORILLA AUDIO

guys. holy hell. dude says something you dont agree with. get over it lol

find him a huge sub or move on :)

i know what he is talking about too. its hard to explain if you have never heard it

-Matt

2005 Dodge Magnum RT
JVC KD-AVX1

2 PPI S580.2

Obsidian Audio ST1 Horn Tweeters

PRV 8MB450s

Audio Legion 3500.1D

2 RE MT 18s

360 ah LiFePO4 Battery
SHCA 2/0

155.2 @ 29 hz

Kicker CVR 15's build
DD 3512e build
Mini T-Line Build
(6) 8s Build
Nightshade 15s Wall Build
Magnum AB XFL 12s Build
Newest Magnum Build

:orly3:

Edit: So your tellin me my 18 plays sloppier than the exact same sub in 15, all else being equal?

I said distorted, discribe that however you want.

Yes your 18 will give more of a distorted signal then your 15s if they're both 1000watts and can both go down to 20hz. They will NOT sound exactly the same, close, but not, you gain more then just spl, an additional bass note. Its even easyer to hear it when you put 12s verse 18s, like my buddys yorkville setup, 2x 1000watts 8ohm rms 12's with a 1200watt 8ohms rms 18.

The 12s will give less distortion, more of a pop or a punch that you do not hear from the 18. The 18 growls more and you hear that growl more then the 12s,(that punch more then growl) even tho they're both rated to 32 hz and the sub is only 200watts more. The 12s give an additional bass sound thats not there when just the 18 is in use (I can cut my low hz to test this) And the 18 gives additional bass that the 12s alone do not have (again I can cut just this speaker out to test)

Both of them combined give a good combined sound.

By more distortion, don't think I'm saying that its a bad sound or that the quality is somehow ultra low, or been transformed into a fart, thats not what I'm talking about. Its just a minor difference that happens when your working with a larger area, its supposed to sound like that and it sounds great.. just not the same, they do produce different notes, combined is when you get a great sound, not one or the other alone...

If you think all subs are gona sound the same, theres no reason why people wouldn't just stack all of one type of speaker, get like 4x or 6x 15s or 18s verse having some of each. The "only" thing you would gain is more SPL by stacking the same type of speaker. So this makes that theory totally wrong when if; You have say 6x 15s the only thing you gain is more spl for each speaker, but when you add a 18 to your 15s you add a different bass note "you can littorally hear".. thats why you should combine speakers, you combine notes and sounds to give a good rounded sounding-sound. Verse "only" gaining more spl if you stack the same type of speaker.

Not really totally why I want the 24, but I would again have to assume it would give a different note to the total package, even my 400watt 18 gives a different note, most speakers have minor different things about them. I've hooked up a 21' PA sub with my setup and it sounded great with my gear and added its own bass note that was not there before *~Even tho it was only 1500watts/25hz and my subs are 1800watts/20hz~* My subs are not going to cancel it out just cuz its lower wattage and can't go as low of hz.. it produces its own bass note that can be heard regardless and just adds to the overall sound, something that the other speakers don't have.

Archived