Second Skin Audio

Another Peel & Seal thread... but not what you think

So the one with the lowest peak is the best option? Just asking because it seems like CLD is the best option.Also why doesn't anyone use Dynamat in their test?I have always used dynamat because it works I guess but it has never been proven(at least from what I have seen) that it is inferior to any other brand.

Vehicle
2007 Chevrolet Avalanche(Co-Co)

DNX9980HD
6 Team Fi 15's(King Edition)
3 DC 9k's
8 Nendo PWX 8's
4 Custom Steg 4" Super Tweeters
1 DC Audio 175.4
1 DC Audio 90.4
Rockford 360.3
3 DC Power 370xp Alts(Externally regulated)
21 D1600's
2 D4800's
All SMD RCA's
AudioTechnix Deadner
Viper Alarm

My YouTube- http://www.youtube.c...NG?feature=mhee
Link to buildlog- http://www.stevemead...4-15s-2-dc-9ks/
Link to UBL- http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/165059-ublkings-avalanchecoco-new-build-starting8-king-edition-15-team-fis-in-a-wallyes-a-wall/

96576a0.jpg

Banner3_zpsa237d00a.jpg

I complete agree with single layer tests like this.. but for the money I triple layer my roof and I got good results, on the other hand never tried anything else. Down fall is I had a real hard time with adhesion on my roof even after I clean and everythng.. maybe if second skin would cut smd members a nicer deal, I would really switch over... jmo.

You just gotta keep your eyes open for deals and jump when they pop up... This was B Stock FTMFW :D

CIMG0936.JPG

So the one with the lowest peak is the best option? Just asking because it seems like CLD is the best option.Also why doesn't anyone use Dynamat in their test?I have always used dynamat because it works I guess but it has never been proven(at least from what I have seen) that it is inferior to any other brand.

I would assume because it's so damn expensive :pardon:

Edited by UnderLoK

If at first you do not succeed, you are doing it wrong! -ARS
UnderLoK-Tanq-SMD-Forum-resized.jpg
Check out my walled TBSS build over here
4 Fi Team 18s on 2 Cactus K9
DS18 doors on 2 MBQ 1Ks, Vifa pillars on a STL4.500
Pioneer X8500
6 XS Power D7500, 1 3400S
Second Skin
2 270a Mechman Alts

I would be curious to see how many layers of peel n seal it takes to get the same result as the cld....if it's even possible. And then a cost comparison between the total amount of pns used compared to cld for the same result.....since cost seems to be the reason people use pns. Perhaps they would use the correct product when they visually see the cost effectiveness?

Hmm... didn't think about that. I still have it all setup, so I'll give it a shot first thing in the morning and see how much it does take to get roughly the same results as 25% CLD.

I'll start with two layers of P&S and test.

EDIT: Screw it, going to go test right now because I'm curious....

Cool deal...seems like that the people who use foofing products do it because they "think" it's cheaper. I'm guessing your results will show that true sound deadener is actually cheaper.... :shrug:

1998 SS/T Ram Build Log

- Kenwood KVT-514 and KNA-G510 Navigation

- 2 DC Level 3 12"

- Components???

- Sundown ???

- Sundown???

- Knu Konceptz

- Second Skin Dampy Pro

- XS D6500

So the one with the lowest peak is the best option?

Pretty much. You could have a product that has a slightly higher peak in an area (just depends on the amplitude and frequency) but completely kill the vibrations everywhere else.

It just so happens that the peaks followed the trend that the lower they are, the better the product performed.

And by CLD, I mean a constrained layer damper, not a specific brand or product. I am not going to disclose which product I used for this test.

Ok test of two layers has been done. Removing the CLD was the hard part... came off clean though. :)

Here are two layers of the U-Seal. The first layer was applied horizontally, second layer was applied vertically.

testing_15.jpg

Three tests once again, took the average. And the results compiled with the CLD:

cldvlayers.jpg

So with that said, two layers with 100% coverage of a roofing product still doesn't quite beat out 25% coverage of a properly designed CLD mat. In a few areas the P&S product did perform better, but the same can be said for the CLD.

Now here is the weight of the two layers of U-Seal:

testing_13.jpg

And the weight of the product I used for testing:

testing_16.jpg

The total weight is nearly 3.75 times that of the CLD... so weight has nothing to do with the performance either (for those who still think performance is based on the mass of the product).

So to further elaborate on this, I took the average price in my area of P&S which is $17.45 for 12.5 sq. ft., so $1.396 per sq. ft.

The CLD I used, on the high side, costs $3.50 per sq. ft..

P&S price ($1.396) times two (because you need to use at least two layers to get close to the same performance) = $2.792 to treat one square foot.

CLD price ($3.50) divided by four (since it requires only a quarter of the amount) = $0.875 to treat one square foot.

CHEAPER MY ASS! :bull:

Have a question about Second Skin? E-Mail me!

usa_render4.png

BUT BUT BUT BUT..................

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

Oh and to conclude... if you spent $11 a sq. ft. on TURE sound deadener, you would still be saving money over using P&S...

Edited by Second Skin Rep Jon

usa_render4.png

Thats how I thought it would turn out........free Second Skin for me for the great idea right????? :yahoo:

J/K...but seriously, thanks for doing it. My biggest bitch about roofing products is the level of VOC's, I cant imagine putting my daughter in a vehicle that is potentially harmful to her respiratory health, and I cant see why anyone else would want to either!

1998 SS/T Ram Build Log

- Kenwood KVT-514 and KNA-G510 Navigation

- 2 DC Level 3 12"

- Components???

- Sundown ???

- Sundown???

- Knu Konceptz

- Second Skin Dampy Pro

- XS D6500

So id just like to confirm that everything we've been arguing all along is true correct?

Hot damn I guess I does know a thing or two about them audioz.

• Like (+1 Rep) 1

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

lies n8

u dont know jack :bull: about audioz :lol:

CDyneSi_zps9638e5fa.jpg

VbjgkeI_zpsdd2219ec.jpg

deepsilencer, on 22 Aug 2011 - 17:32, said:

splzx3, on 22 Aug 2011 - 17:27, said:

i had my fun on one of his videos...till he blocked me then i got my mother into it lol after her he closed the comments xD

lol your mom is a G! good.gif

WTF, I never thought I'd have a conversation about cross dressers and trans-genders on a car audio forum.

Nine8SST... oy. LOL

I don't blame you for not wanting to use a product that has VOC's like so many of these asphalt based products.

Out of all of the asphalt products, the U-Seal brand didn't seem to have too bad of a smell, just kind of asphalty...

And you are correct Nate, just this time there are facts and figures to back it up even more so. :drinks:

usa_render4.png