Second Skin Audio

Another Peel & Seal thread... but not what you think

So P&S for $10 a roll back in the day before CLD tiles were even out was just fine and cheaper then other products on the market by far. It's still holding up in my Altima after 4+ years, even the underside of the trunk lid and it's a black car.

I used SDS tiles on the latest build as those are the way to go IMO since P&S prices have almost doubled in my area...

So P&S for $10 a roll back in the day before CLD tiles were even out was just fine and cheaper then other products on the market by far. It's still holding up in my Altima after 4+ years, even the underside of the trunk lid and it's a black car.

I used SDS tiles on the latest build as those are the way to go IMO since P&S prices have almost doubled in my area...

back in the day all we had was peel and seal dynamat and stinger. if im not mistaken the early dynamat wasnt much different in formula than the p&s. deadener has come a long way in the last few years!

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

Did this last test mean, that i get a good sounddeadening with a batch of 12x12 inch on my door, or a vew pieces on diffrent place in this size at my door.

I don't think it really matters as to where you apply it on the surface, but rather the amount of coverage.

For instance this is how most have been (myself included) installing it for a while now, as close to the middle as you can.

th_coverage1.jpg

But you could also use the same amount of product and space it out like this:

th_coverage2.jpg

And you would be treating the same surface area.

Or you could go nuts and do something like this:

th_coverage3.jpg

Or even this:

th_coverage4.jpg

Again, you are using the same amount of product, just applying it all over the panel.

Have a question about Second Skin? E-Mail me!

usa_render4.png

i think that last one is going to be the new requirements for sound deadening anyone else applying it differently will be called a :noob: then promptly :ban2:

J. Jsig_253411.jpgMy CardomainFINISHED COBALT SS/SC DUAL ALTERNATOR PICS icon_nuts.gif

theres no such thing as too expensive when it comes to upgrades like that, because imo if you are gonna spend to upgrade then do it correctly rather then be a cheap ass ricer

Good work on this test. Yay for having a few comments.

I think one of the things sani was getting at is if this was a sweep, obviously there are lower frequencies at the beginning and higher towards the end. It would be interesting to see what these frequencies are at what points.

Also something I find interesting is it seems like the deadener seems to increase the frequency the peaks occur.

I think a 200% coverage test is in order just for consistency's sake :drinks:

And finally, your statement about how the deadener can be applied in however size pieces you want seems interesting to me. In my head, part of the purpose of the foil is to be another rigid structure set a bit off the metal to form a similar concept to a h-beam if you know what I mean. Therefore, some patterns would be more effective than others in deadening, especially at lower frequencies. For example, long slender strips spaced for 25% coverage would increase rigidity more in the "vertical" direction than "horizontal". Similar to one of the wooden sliding doors on a desk or something if anyone knows what im talking about. Thoughts?

Edited by rusty959

:rofl: Nate

Nick, i picked up on your joke lol. guess nate's sarcasm meter was the one not working there for a minute lol.

Jon, this was a great test. I love to see thorough, informative tests/comparisons like these. :good:

Alpine CDA-9886Hertz Mille 3 ways active

Hertz SPL Show 8's

2 Audison Voce Quattro's2 DC Audio M2 Level 5 12'sDC Audio 12.0KKnuKonceptz Wiring4 XS Power D3100'sDC Power 390XPSecond Skin Damplifier Pro and Dynamat Xtreme

Esy3YgK.jpg

Out of curiosity, and I know it'll perform really well, how does the CDL do for 100% coverage?

Even better, but it becomes a situations of is it really worth it?

As for testing specific other products (such as Alpha Damp) and publishing that data, I don't think I will be able to do that while working for one of these companies.

I'm all for someone else putting forth the effort to do this independently so I'm not the only one getting all of the flak. :D

baaudio, the Peal and Seal product that I was requested to use in this test just happen to come as a 2" strip product. The results would be very close, if not exactly the same if it came on a 3' wide roll.

I think for some builds it IS worth it. I know for me I would like much better rattle prevention. It might be worth it for me.

And finally, your statement about how the deadener can be applied in however size pieces you want seems interesting to me. In my head, part of the purpose of the foil is to be another rigid structure set a bit off the metal to form a similar concept to a h-beam if you know what I mean. Therefore, some patterns would be more effective than others in deadening, especially at lower frequencies. For example, long slender strips spaced for 25% coverage would increase rigidity more in the "vertical" direction than "horizontal". Similar to one of the wooden sliding doors on a desk or something if anyone knows what im talking about. Thoughts?

I'm a bit tired, so I'll make this short and answer the questions a bit more in depth in the morning.

But yeah the last two examples are a bit extreme (the pieces are far too small to act as a constraining system), thus it would not be an effective way to treat the panel.

In theory, pretty much any arrangement achieving the same surface area would work so long as the CLD is large enough, but again that is in theory.

Have a question about Second Skin? E-Mail me!

usa_render4.png

I'm a bit tired, so I'll make this short and answer the questions a bit more in depth in the morning.

But yeah the last two examples are a bit extreme (the pieces are far too small to act as a constraining system), thus it would not be an effective way to treat the panel.

In theory, pretty much any arrangement achieving the same surface area would work so long as the CLD is large enough, but again that is in theory.

Ill wait for your more in depth response but I bet you know how you could test different theories :popcorn:

You missed the entire mark on this one.

Your saying that means you missed the point of my post, and so did jon as it seems.

oh well, ill carry on misunderstood and y'all carry on selling stuff that doesn't do a bit of good for half the target audience of this forum. Note the gfaphs had huge spikes down low, where most of us want deadening to begin with.

you also dont have any 2'x1' panels in your car where the narrow end is attached to something and the rest just dangles. the metal in this test is obviously going to act differently than the metal in your car. this test simply shows the difference between the two products. and it obviously shows cld is MUCH better.

If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood.

Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/

Top career scores: DBdrag 151.7 MECA SQ 82.25My SOTM build

Yeah. im pretty sure they dont warranty retarded people.