Second Skin Audio

Basics of a 4th order bandpass enclosure

donellk

Im going to build one, screw it if i blow the woofer.

2x6" aeros enough for a 12?

Loudness is no substitute for musicianship, and partial deafness is no badge of honor. I was once able to hear this advice.

Build Log>>>

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/ind...pid=672024&

New Build

Believe in the order

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i really REALLY wish people would stop hugging up to the whole ratio thing.

dumbasses squeezing down the sealed side in search of a higher ratio/more peak.

Seriously. build the sealed side to spec/desired F3. then build ported side to accomodate taste. peaky or flat is up to you.

Throw the whole notion of ratios out the damn door.

So what you are saying is just build the Ported side to your liking?

My 4 12's are in a sealed box right now but i have two seperate chambers for each pair of subs, could i turn this box in to a 4th order?

this is a great start to get over that first hump of how to design bandpass. i have a small understanding myself, but would like to know more.

i'm curious as to what the tuning of the ported side does to the box. with regular ported 30-40hz tuning is kind of the norm.

but since you say tuning higher is pretty standard, what are kind of the norms, and what does that mean for sound?

also i think you could go into more depth on what passband is.

my understanding is that the lower the ratio (i.e. 1:1) the larger the passband and the more musical it is over a broad spectrum of frequencies.

the higher the ratio (i.e. 1:3 and up) the smaller the passband. which translates to a peaky, but louder box.

would love to see some experts chime in here and fill in some gaps. great reading!

Just say no to Ground Pounder Customs.

More box builds

some cars do over 170db with one sub, so clearly my two 12"s can do that in my car, with my knowledge too! look out bitches!

I'm with captain stupid.

this is a great start to get over that first hump of how to design bandpass. i have a small understanding myself, but would like to know more.

i'm curious as to what the tuning of the ported side does to the box. with regular ported 30-40hz tuning is kind of the norm.

but since you say tuning higher is pretty standard, what are kind of the norms, and what does that mean for sound?

also i think you could go into more depth on what passband is.

my understanding is that the lower the ratio (i.e. 1:1) the larger the passband and the more musical it is over a broad spectrum of frequencies.

the higher the ratio (i.e. 1:3 and up) the smaller the passband. which translates to a peaky, but louder box.

would love to see some experts chime in here and fill in some gaps. great reading!

I'm not really an expert but I can try fill in some gaps. The reason you can tune higher with a 4th order is because the sealed chambers control the low frequency cutoff where as in a ported box, the port controls the low frequency cutoff. Normal tuning is between 45-55 bit people go higher and lower than that.

The passband, or bandwidth is the space between the upper and lower f3 points. With a smaller ratio (1:1) you'll have a wider bandwidth but lower output. With a higher ratio (1:3) you'll have less bandwidth but more output.

1999 Audi A4 1.8T:::

4 - DC Level 3 10's in a 4th order

Rockford P6002 on Subs for now (3-3.5k coming eventually)

MB Quart ONX4.60 for Mids and Highs

Boston S50 Components in Front

Boston S65 Coaxials in Rear

40 Sq Ft of Second Skin Damplifier

Build Thread

UBL

1948 Plymouth

Thanks everyone! If u have any question I'll try to answer them the best I can like I said I'm not a expert!

As for the ratio I wouldn't sacerfice a lower f3 to have a dead on ratio but I prefer a flatter response for daily listening! But that's another thing that would be up to the builder!

Team Xtreme Amperage

Xtreme Audio Innovations

XtremeAudioInnovations.com

Facebook.com/xtremeaudio321

4 linked c notched bagged

Fiberglass door panels (5 speakers per door)

my biggest concern is how do you know if a woofer will work well in a bandpass enclosure? please explain this detail for me and others.

Team NWSPL

baaudio Build Log

2001 GMC Sierra walkthrough

4 Mechman Elite 370s, 10 AGM batteries, 3 Crossfire XS v2 18s, Crossfire 8k

my biggest concern is how do you know if a woofer will work well in a bandpass enclosure? please explain this detail for me and others.

I normally go by having a low Fs and having a qts of over .4

1999 Audi A4 1.8T:::

4 - DC Level 3 10's in a 4th order

Rockford P6002 on Subs for now (3-3.5k coming eventually)

MB Quart ONX4.60 for Mids and Highs

Boston S50 Components in Front

Boston S65 Coaxials in Rear

40 Sq Ft of Second Skin Damplifier

Build Thread

UBL

1948 Plymouth

Archived