Second Skin Audio

Basics of a 4th order bandpass enclosure

donellk

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Has anyone tried that crazy maze of porting the T -line boxes use on a bandpass box ? I usually just see a simple L shaped port.

I have a summo 64, massive audio that im going to use to play with or use to design a box . I have been away from car audio for atleast 10 years ,but I am jumping back in with both feet even bought some parts to build my own 10" sub..I do still own an older sx 12"RE sub and a vfl 8" but my trunk space in my 2004 gt mustang is at a premium.

I know the fs of this little woofer is not great at 53hz, but the qts is at .655 . It has a box building guide for best results and it is showing the same size box ported and sealed . Seeing this made me think it might work in a 4th order and just combine the two boxes into a total enclosure . I was thinking of making the box this weekend.

on my spec sheet with the mini sub its showing best sealed enclosure is 0.41 cub. ft.

single ported is the same spec and size . but port size shows an fs tuning of the box to 34hz. with a round 1.5" x 8" port I dont want port noise ..Ill likely just make a slot for it . Specs show a 1.77 sq. inch size . I have no idea what the size of this needs to be... I will be powereing this single 4 ohm mini sub with my fosgate prime 500.1

thank you in advance

The last audio forums I visitied were trempro and caf I believe but this was back when adire brahmas were coming out many many years ago. blueprint 1203 subs . then Re before he sold to usamps . so I have been away from car audio for years . Please forgive my lack of knolwdge or loss there of ...

I have been helping a teammate with the sumo 104s. We have tried several different configurations of sealed and ported with a bandpass with fair results. It seems that they are very peaky in a bandpass and even a large ratio trying to make it as loud as possible at peak wasn't that great. We have tried straight sealed, which was a little more musical but was about 5db less output than the bandpass. We also made a spec ported and by far it was the loudest and most muscial.

I guess having free time on the weekends along with a meter and a lot of patience pays off lol. Perhaps you will have better luck with yours.

I have been helping a teammate with the sumo 104s. We have tried several different configurations of sealed and ported with a bandpass with fair results. It seems that they are very peaky in a bandpass and even a large ratio trying to make it as loud as possible at peak wasn't that great. We have tried straight sealed, which was a little more musical but was about 5db less output than the bandpass. We also made a spec ported and by far it was the loudest and most muscial.

I guess having free time on the weekends along with a meter and a lot of patience pays off lol. Perhaps you will have better luck with yours.

thanks for the reply . did you guys try the other design bandpass where one chamber is ported to a lower frequency and one at a higher one? or just the 4th otrder ?

I like having this smaller sub to mess with as it will never take up more than 5% of my trunk space. lol

No I don't mess with 6th order at all.

It's a small sub and you have the space I say go for it. I learn more by doing and failing than I do anything else. You really learn how things interact with each other which has taught me a lot over the years. Besides the fact I look for any excuse to woodwork lol.

i built a bandpass box for an old mtx blue thunder subwoofer it was in a pre fab box from circuit city long long ago. the pre fab sealed box sounded like crap . the bandpass box i made sounded louder and cleaner than anything i ever had in my car previous to that . and it was by total accident . I built the box to fit the car not the woofer ...lol

i found it outside in my friends back yard being used as a table and its still intact i painted it with rubberized undercoating .. this was before they made bed coatings ...

summo´s are awesome for a 4th orders , go for it :)

I´m the SPL Gains topic creator!! wanna get louder?? check this: SPL Gains. Panamenian 2009 & 2010 & 2014 Bass Race 149.9 Champion!

2 15" subs and a 2K wired at 1 ohm, http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/167788-fecupe2001-2-15s-on-a-2k-video-on-page-3/

8 Massive 15" subs and small power, http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/179296-fecupe2001s-8-15s-4th-order-bandpass-wall/

• 2 weeks later...

I'm planing on building a 2:1 4th order in a jeep Cherokee with 3 stereo integrity ht18s. 12 cubes on the sealed end and 24 on the ported end, the fs on these woofers is 18hz. I'd like to b able to peaks at the lower end or b what u would call a "low end monster". My question is where should I tune it? I was thinking 40hz.

I'm planing on building a 2:1 4th order in a jeep Cherokee with 3 stereo integrity ht18s. 12 cubes on the sealed end and 24 on the ported end, the fs on these woofers is 18hz. I'd like to b able to peaks at the lower end or b what u would call a "low end monster". My question is where should I tune it? I was thinking 40hz.

So how much power are you going to run? Why do you want to use a bandpass box? How did you come up with those box specs?

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Archived