Second Skin Audio

Drilling and Tapping Topplate for Basket / 15"to10" recone

So has anyone ever drilled/tapped their top plate for a new basket? I was going through my boneyard and found a old blown 15" audiobahn. Its got a pretty beefy magnet so i figured id recone. The cast aluminum basket is cracked so its out of the question. Im thinking about going with a 12" 12 point aluminum basket from psi. only problem is the original basket formed around the motor and bolted to the back plate. So i have to drill and tap the top plate to accept the new 127mm x 60 degree mounting pattern of the basket.

I figure if i leave the top plate attached and drill it i wont have to re attach it to the magnet (taping off the center to prevent shavings falling in of course). anyone ever done anything like this that can add a little insight?

Edited by M3RCURI

I have my own farmer john technique lol. I don't have any templates. But another way you can do it is make an adapter from hddp plastic. I get it from Tap plastics and copy hole patterns etc. If you have money, there is people who will machine you adapter plates from 1/4"-1/2" aluminum

My Redneck idea is to glue(ca) the old frame and new frame together -the surfaces that are flat, align as good as possible, and copy the smaller bahn pattern with a 1/4" bit

Break apart and your done.

Is the Audiobahn coil the 2.4"or the 2.58"?

sundown.jpg
I have a ritual called "terminator". I crouch in the shower in the "naked terminator" pose. With eyes closed I crouch for a minute and visualize either Arnie or the guy from the 2nd movie. I then start to hum the T2 theme. Slowly I rise to a standing position and open my eyes. It helps me get through my day. The only problem is if the shower curtain sticks to my terminator leg. It sorta ruins the fantasy.

I have my own farmer john technique lol. I don't have any templates. But another way you can do it is make an adapter from hddp plastic. I get it from Tap plastics and copy hole patterns etc. If you have money, there is people who will machine you adapter plates from 1/4"-1/2" aluminum

My Redneck idea is to glue(ca) the old frame and new frame together -the surfaces that are flat, align as good as possible, and copy the smaller bahn pattern with a 1/4" bit

Break apart and your done.

Is the Audiobahn coil the 2.4"or the 2.58"?

So basically your saying, make a top plate out of plastic (or get one machined). then just glue that to the existing top plate?

and as far as the redneck idea, i cant do that because the old basket attached to the bottom of the sub, not the top, so i cant drill new holes in the basket to match the existing holes because there are no existing holes in the motor/top-plate.

Edited by M3RCURI

• 4 months later...

UPDATE:

yea so finally got around to it and just drew up a template in sketchup and printed it to scale. Then just drilled new holes in the toplate carful not to drill into the magent. then tapped em. Acutally went with a budget build and cleaned up the old coil and got a new spider, cone and 10" basket. Overall $40 for a beefy little Ten.

Pics of the final product once my terminals come in.