how do you wire a second alternator to your electrical system?

Im going to be doing this set up as well...in a 95 buick though. I want the setup to be one alt being the cars electrical supply n one mainly for the system. Ones a stock amp of 95 amps n the other is 220 amps

New build coming soon. [center][url="http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/3/sigtoo.jpg/"][img]http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/9541/sigtoo.jpg[/img][/url][/center]

For everyone actually wanting to know..(not commenting why not do 24V or 16V hell do this do that)

In my case 1991 TBI Chevrolet Engine I am going to be running 2 AD244 Alternators off of a Chevrolet Tahoe 100A at idle EACH! These alternators require 1 wire to turn them on as they are internally regulated and are each the exactly same alternator, even same year actually. So i am wiring them in together as OP said. I have old friends with a lot of experience in alternators he said "If they are internally regulated and both charging to the same Voltage (2 AD244 145A = 14.8V so i'm in the clear!) Then you can just wire them together. He said if one alternator such as (Example: D244 i think? Of a Avalance charges at 13.8 set by the computer, if you hook up let's say one off an older s10 CS130 which charges at 14V the computer cannot do that because the alternators are different one is externally regulated one s internal, sure you could just run a hot wire maybe it will work i'm not sure i forgot to ask but before doing this make sure you have total understanding of how an alternator works.

I typed this fast and my hands are covered in grease lol so sorry about spelling (was wresting with engine in the jimmy all day)

Hope some of this information is helpful for you guys, i know you cannot find a good answer anywhere

Very excellent. And from this post I have done some research and concluded that alternators really don't care which direction they are spinning (but generators apparently do care) so I jacked the idea to mount my second alt toward the motor :woot: :woot: This is seriously the only way I can imagine fitting my second ho alt which I've had sitting in the garage for about 3 months now. I am also confident about how to wire them now thanks to everyones help :drinks:

no you're a towell

99 Isuzu Vehicross FTW

DC 5K (would like to be 7.5K)

DC 350.4

(2X) SOLOX 18s WALL 17 CUBES

(3X) XS D3100'S REAR / (1X) D3400 FRONT

Kenwood Excelon flip-out w/rear view and navi

Singer Alt FTW

TOO LAZY TO LOG BUILD, MAYBE TOMORROW

Archived