Mechman Alternators

little help with my alt please

so, i got my mechman a few months ago, installed it after 5 hours of banging the old one out and grinding down the mounting feet on the new one to get it to fit(it was slightly off, bench grinder ftw) anywho....i have 2 xs d2400's backing up my DC3.5k which is wired down to .5, now for the annoying kicker...my jeep charges at 13.6, so cold startup im sitting 14.3 then it drops and levels somewhere between 13.9-14.1, after driving for a bit it drops down to 13.5, but kicks right back up once i tap the gas, BUT heres my problem, i drop to freaking low 11's full tilt, wtf? whats the problem here? i have 0g from the alt stud to the + on the batt, mounting stud to - on the batt, then - on the batt to the frame, now i cant remember if i sanded down where i put the ground on the alt, but i wouldent think that that could cause that huge of a problem, i also dident use the given lug for the + run that mechman provided, again i couldent see this as much of a problem, 3rd, i have my back batts running of the alt itself, youd think itd be a bit better, even with my amp running @ 2ohm i get roughly the same drop at full tilt, im mind boggled here, its a 270amp unit** 02 jeep grand cherokee laredo inline 6

Edited by Freshman6969

Legal TL scores145.6 on the dash sealed up in the low 40hz area with the port out145.5 on the dash sealed up @30hz with the port inless then 1k clamped on a 3.5k!

Why would you EVER WANT flex?
huh?...flex is what can make the lows lower and more air being pushed correct?
jeff_zps9bc81ace.jpg

me_zps0fb5a5b4.jpgMy FeedbackJeep-BuildlogPT LOSER buildlog

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wired to .5 yourprob drawing 325-350 amps and have a 270amp alt

Not rocket science

2008 California state record holder 157.2 Bassrace2009 California state record holder 157.0 BassraceRollin 50's 158.7db2009 King of Cali Bassrace2009 USACi score 160.5 @ 42hz

You said you didnt use the lug provided, so what did you use??

Guess you figured he adds it cause he doesnt know what he's doing.

2008 California state record holder 157.2 Bassrace2009 California state record holder 157.0 BassraceRollin 50's 158.7db2009 King of Cali Bassrace2009 USACi score 160.5 @ 42hz

i had to have my mechamn sent in for repair ...they said because i used the wrong size o ring terminal (lil big)it messed mine up...it did melt the plastic around that terminal...so i would check that a.s.a.p also you always want to take your grounding points to bare metal ...if you worried about rust spray paint after u tighten it down.... i would also take a ground from the frnt bat to the fire wall as well as the frame to fire wall...im guessing your running you other batts grounded to the body...more thing have you charged ur bats recently?

Edited by extremeauto

1995 Honda passport 3.2 4x4 Frankenstein on a budget

ballistics sound deader (roof only so far)

kenwood mp3 usb

audio control 3 (upgrading)

hifonics mx-3

3 sets of massive px5 5.25s

3 sets of massive tweets

phonix gold 5.25 componets

x2 massive nx4 nano 200x4 mids

sony xplod 600x4 watt high's

2 Fi bl fully loaded box walled @31ish hz

13.2 cube box/wall

massive DB8000

Excessive amaperge 250 amp alt wir extrnl regulator

daul runs of xs power xpflex 0 gauge

big 3

raptor 0 gauge power/ground wire full run

suriken 45 amp hour x3 shriken bt-120 batts,interstate 1100CA semi batt

scytek galaxy 2way alarm

still upgradeing!

Im guessing hes not actually charging

The post is the only real output from the alt, so whoknows wtf hes got goin on

Im suprised freshman... your not a newb here

Im guessing hes not actually charging

The post is the only real output from the alt, so whoknows wtf hes got goin on

Im suprised freshman... your not a newb here

im an electrical noob, thats my downfall, MECP my ass :shrug: , i have 2 runs front to back 1 neg(off the front batt to the back batt), 1 pos off the alt, i think ill freeze my ass off tom. and find this lug and use it, unless my dumb ass used it for something else >.>, either way THAT lug will be going on the alt, ill be checking if i sanded down the ground point on the alt, if i dident, thatll be coming off, i have the batts grounded in the spare tire well also, i checked both grounds with a dmm and both read .01 so thats perfect, even when i was at 1 ohm with my other set of 15's i was yeilding roughly the same numbers as the .5 and 2ohm wiring

also, anytime im not using my single plug outside the batts ARE infact on a charger, and all night before shows

also @ ray, i used the lug i already had on all my big 3 wires, it fits on there perfect

Edited by Freshman6969

Legal TL scores145.6 on the dash sealed up in the low 40hz area with the port out145.5 on the dash sealed up @30hz with the port inless then 1k clamped on a 3.5k!

jeff_zps9bc81ace.jpg

i think ray thought that you didn't use the post the copper lug was on. But extreme auto said that he messed his post on the alt up by using the wrong terminal like you might have so maybe you should look into that not saying its to late to fix but if your gonna change to the one they sent you might as well look at the post while you are there

i think ray thought that you didn't use the post the copper lug was on. But extreme auto said that he messed his post on the alt up by using the wrong terminal like you might have so maybe you should look into that not saying its to late to fix but if your gonna change to the one they sent you might as well look at the post while you are there

that was my plan, it just popped into my head after scrolling through youtube and seeing all these people running such small amount of batts and around the power i have and a 270amp alt and keeping in the low 13's full tilt, made me think, well shit i did something wrong here

i mean my alts been in for awhile now, about the 2nd day after i got it, i might run to autozone and get it tested, if itll read that high, i know how some dont, maybe ill get lucky

Edited by Freshman6969

jeff_zps9bc81ace.jpg

that was my plan, it just popped into my head after scrolling through youtube and seeing all these people running such small amount of batts and around the power i have and a 270amp alt and keeping in the low 13's full tilt, made me think, well shit i did something wrong here

i mean my alts been in for awhile now, about the 2nd day after i got it, i might run to autozone and get it tested, if itll read that high, i know how some dont, maybe ill get lucky

right on maybe do the autozone first if you can that way when you fix you could see how much better it gets :good: