Review on my Skar 15 vvx

I will be updating this review as the sub gets more playing time.

Replaced a single 15 kicker cvx wired to 1 ohm on 800rms, in a custom 3.5 cubed net box with 15 inches of port per cube and 35hz tuning.

Also replaced the amplifier with a JL audio slash 500/1 to run my skar 4 ohm at 2 ohms.

This is my girls setup so since its her car she also gave me her input.

This was a direct swap with the cvx 15 just with 500rms now.

First impression: The bass is cleaner sounding than the cvx not astronomical but it is enough of a difference that it is noticeable and that was my main objective, getting the sub to sound better than my kicker while keeping the same output.

Now as far as loudness/output, the lows like for example the song white girl by young jeezy sounds cleaner on the skar but it is about the same loudness as the cvx which is cool with me but i did kind of expect, like most were saying, that the skar was going to be a lot louder than the cvx which in my case it is not.

I banged it about 30 seconds each song on a 10 track cd with some hard hitting rap songs. One thing i noticed is that the skar does not hit the higher notes like say from 42hz to 52hz as loudly as the skar but it does hit cleaner, i kinda was dissapointed in not hitting the higher bass since i know she listens to rock and techno stuff as well but again SQ is better.

One weakness im a little afraid of and i hope i can get some of you guys input is that on 500 rms and on my jl audio 500 amp with the gain set right, after i played around 30 seconds each song at full tilt on like 6 songs, i went to the back of the trick, touched the subs center, like where the dustcap is usually, and it was very hot.

Now i always check my kickers from the center after heavy playing and at most they were very warm but not hot like the skar.

I heard these are supposed to take 1000 with no sweat but now im not sure if its either my box or the sub but with 500rms im getting the center of the sub pretty hot. Some will way to not bang so hard, but i refuse to bang less since full tilt when my girl or me drive to places is what i like so can anybody let me know why the sub gets so hot. My box is 3.5 cubes so is it too big?

Overall, my mission was a better sounding sub and it was accomplished even though loudness/output is the same as my kicker cvx.

1st Setup(SOLD):2007 GMC YukonPioneer Avic F90bt

Audiocontrol Epicenter2 Audioque SDC2.5 15 subs8.7 cubes at 37hz build DONEAudioque 1200d (Audioque 1200d Sold, similar performance to my ap1500)Diamond Audio Hex 6.5 Mids n TweetsCerwin Vega Exl 400 4 channel Bridged(also have MTX 4004 not being used)1 Run of power Knu Fleks 4 Gauge2 Cheap stock Battery setup2nd Setup (SOLD):2007 GMC YukonPioneer Avic F90bt

Audiocontrol Epicenter2 15 Kicker cvx (maybe two SA 15 in future)7 cubes net tuned at 34hzAlphasonik Old school 1600rms (ap 1500d sold GREAT Budget amp)JBL 6.5 Power Series Components, Infinity Kappa 6.5 3 ways, and 2 Kicker KS Tweets (LOUD)Cerwin vega exl4001 run knu Fleks OFC 0 gaugeBig 3 done1 Odyssey 1500, 1 optima yellow top d31

In my opinion thats not really enough power for the Skar. MMS on the vvx is very high, I would imagine almost 2x what the cvx is. I also feel you tuned the box too high. FS on the 15 is like 22, tuning that high above FS typically makes the box play peakier, and slope off sharper, which is likely why you say the higher bass isnt there. Your box was more suited to the cvx because FS is around 35 on that sub. And honestly, cvx's are decent subs.

Team Flex Issues

Low tuning > God

2011 CALI AS1 STATE CHAMP

I would say lower tuning, and cleaner power is more suited for the skar.

Jeep Cherokee 4dr -4.75 in front, new rusty's 4.5 in rear leafs -micky thompson 35x14.50x15 -locker rear -Rusty's offroad Engine/transmission/transfer case/crossmember/gas tank skid plates -Warn front bumper with 8000lb winch -Custom rear bumper -Warrior product tube doors (summertime) -Optima redtop (starter) -26XK miles and still runs like a bat out of hell

Kenwood H/U

1/0 wire,

136 amp alt 200 ah batteries 12.7 daily

2 Apsm 1500 @ 2 ohm strapped on zv3 d1 with ns softparts

Mb quart 125.4 wired to 4 aura 6's

3.6 cube box tuned to 36 plays down to 23hz

I understand the tuning is pretty high at 35hz but i dont understand why the sub gets hot at 500rms, where my cvx even at full tilt for much longer will not get as hot on 800rms, it would get really warm but not on the level this skar is getting.

I can bump it up to more rms but wouldnt that be dangerous since its getting hot with 500?

The jl amp was put in about a month ago to temporarily run the cvx before i got the skar, and it played full tilt without getting the cvx as hot as the skar. The gain was not touched on the jl amp when i swapped to the skar.

1st Setup(SOLD):2007 GMC YukonPioneer Avic F90bt

Audiocontrol Epicenter2 Audioque SDC2.5 15 subs8.7 cubes at 37hz build DONEAudioque 1200d (Audioque 1200d Sold, similar performance to my ap1500)Diamond Audio Hex 6.5 Mids n TweetsCerwin Vega Exl 400 4 channel Bridged(also have MTX 4004 not being used)1 Run of power Knu Fleks 4 Gauge2 Cheap stock Battery setup2nd Setup (SOLD):2007 GMC YukonPioneer Avic F90bt

Audiocontrol Epicenter2 15 Kicker cvx (maybe two SA 15 in future)7 cubes net tuned at 34hzAlphasonik Old school 1600rms (ap 1500d sold GREAT Budget amp)JBL 6.5 Power Series Components, Infinity Kappa 6.5 3 ways, and 2 Kicker KS Tweets (LOUD)Cerwin vega exl4001 run knu Fleks OFC 0 gaugeBig 3 done1 Odyssey 1500, 1 optima yellow top d31

maybe a more comparable review could be given if the skar had a box built to its specs.. personally I liked cvxs in the past, but skar seems to be a very good company with a good rep so far which makes me want to try one of their own..

2008 TBSS Black Granite

Alpine CDA-117

Clarion EQS746

AudioQue Supertweets @ dash

Alpine DDT-s30 @ b pillars

Alpine SPR-60c @ front doors

Alpine SPR-60 @ rear doors

Alpine PDX-f4

Second Skin DampPro

KNUkonceptz Wiring

DCpower 270amp alt

Optima YT underhood *temp

Two15DCxls

Hifonics bxi2610 *temp

saz4500 and 4 xp3000s coming soon.

box isnt too big, i put 2k on 1 12 in 3cu daily and hammered on it below tuning, I never had any issues. 500w in 3.5 isnt going to bother that sub, something else is at play here. That amp is regulated power supply I believe, possible your clipping it. Different sub could be garnering different rise...My single vvx 12 was doing 142 in a trunk on music, playing low and clean. So im not really sure whats going on

Team Flex Issues

Low tuning > God

2011 CALI AS1 STATE CHAMP

My Skar VVX 15 is f n amazing on the sundown 1.2k(wired 1 ohm) with a tuned box!! Low n clean

more power n different box would prob make for better experience imo

Edited by stanbro

sig-1.jpg

Build v1 15" Skar VVX (custom ported box) w/1.2k Sundown ampBuild v2 18" DC XL x2 (custom ported box) w/4.5k Skar amp

Build v3.3 destruction and re-construction time!