alternator charging at 19.5 volts at idle!!

hey guys so i finally got my DC power 270XP alternator and.. i went to put it in this morning and it is charging at 19.5 volts at idle. i dont dare rev the engine.. my guess is the wiring is wrong? somehow? im a noob when it comes to this kind of electrical. so if anyone could help id appreciate it. i called DC power but they are in california so they arnt open yet..

2001 Monte carlo 2-Crescendo BC5500 Bass, Crescendo 1600.2 and crescendo 1100.4 mids and highs

clarion-702, 4 ZVX 15s walled, RF 360.3, knukonceptz, toolmaker, DC power 270xp and DC power 370xp alts, PWX mids, FT1 tweets,

i quick shut the car off.. i think i found the issue already.. but i gotta check. i was using a DMM i dont think the stinger volt meter reads that high

2001 Monte carlo 2-Crescendo BC5500 Bass, Crescendo 1600.2 and crescendo 1100.4 mids and highs

clarion-702, 4 ZVX 15s walled, RF 360.3, knukonceptz, toolmaker, DC power 270xp and DC power 370xp alts, PWX mids, FT1 tweets,

correct me if im wrong but arnt HO alternators internally regulated? i have 0 knowledge about alternators. but i had a Mechman 2 pin alternator and i have a 4pin but only 2 wires go into my 4 pin. so i just rewired it to the mechman and it would only put out 13.5 volts because it was under regulated due to the PCM, atleast thats what Mechman had told me. so i sent that back for a refund since it wasnt the right alternator. and am now with this new one. it hooks up perfectly to the stock plug but it just charges way to high.. im very confused. i have spent the passed few hours looking on the internet trying to find a solution but im totally lost....

double post sorry :noob:

Edited by boxman420

figured it out. charging at a smooth 14.5 volts!

What was the problem?

did you have some kind of knob you can turn to adjust the voltage?

i almost dont even want to say cause its embarrassing lol. :noob:. but it may help someone in the near future. in the box with the alternator it comes with a wiring harness. i thought it was just a extender. cause my wires BARELY fit on the mechman alternator i had, i had to re route them to get them to fit and it was still extremely tight. but no.... you need it. just plugged it in to my factory plug and then pluged the other end in. on the side that goes to the alternator it has a wire comming off that has a ring terminal on it. that goes on the copper post of the alternator. and bam everything works like a perfectly! i feel stupid, but now my dash lights arnt strobing :woot:

Edited by boxman420

What was the problem?

did you have some kind of knob you can turn to adjust the voltage?

i almost dont even want to say cause its embarrassing lol. :noob:. but it may help someone in the near future. in the box with the alternator it comes with a wiring harness. i thought it was just a extender. cause my wires BARELY fit on the mechman alternator i had, i had to re route them to get them to fit and it was still extremely tight. but no.... you need it. just plugged it in to my factory plug and then pluged the other end in. on the side that goes to the alternator it has a wire comming off that has a ring terminal on it. that goes on the copper post of the alternator. and bam everything works like a perfectly! i feel stupid, but now my dash lights arnt strobing :woot:

hmm, yeAH that harness has a lil voltage regulator built in ...

DC sends the preadjusted so all u have do to is plug in and play :popcorn:

Edited by heckvr4