Hooking up subs to mono block amp

Hey guys i have a question regarding hooking up 2 subs to a mono block amp, ill try to explain the best i can but it confueses me. Recently i hooked up a friends amp that was a mono block with 2 inputs for speaker wires (2 + and 2-) he had 2 4 ohm DVC subs.I followed the 12 volt subwoofer wiring diagram that said to hook the 2 subs up together in parallel to get a 1 ohm load. His box was 2 seperate chambers though so i had to drill a hole to run the speaker wire through the chambers and connect the subs because i did not know how to get a 1 ohm load to each sub by running the subs to their own connections on the amp.

My question though is i know that inside the amp the speaker connections are the same and in some cases i have read that the speaker connections are ran in parallel inside. But if i was to use a box like this again where the speakers were in their own chambers, how would i wire them to achieve a 1 ohm load at the amp without connecting the subs to eachother?

Well I do believe that's the only way to do it...that's how I do it with my boxes...if there's another way...I surely would love to know it.

To answer your question...No you cannot achieve 1 ohm load without connecting the subs to each other. Unless it's a 2 Ohm DVC sub wired as parallel. Could be wrong..so don't rely on my answer. Not a professional in speakers.

New build coming soon. [center][url="http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/3/sigtoo.jpg/"][img]http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/9541/sigtoo.jpg[/img][/url][/center]

the subs eventually will be "hooked together" positive on positive, neg on neg.. refer to this..

http://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/woofer_configurations.asp?Q=2&I=42#results

09 Civic EX

KDC-X395

(2) SKAR Audio VVX-12

Skar Audio SK-1500.1

4 cu ft @32 (new box and more port soon)

Firing Forward not sealed off

Stock 80 Amp Alt

Big 3 In 1/0 Knu

2 Runs To The Back 1 Pos 1 Neg In 1/0 Knu

DD-1'd 13.8v drop

Sheena- thanks for the diagram that is what I used at first but I had to drill a hole in the box because each sub was in its own desperate chamber. I was just trying to figure out how to run the wires so that on every box like that i don't have to drill a hole in the box.

well its quite simple.

two separate chambers means two wires coming from the box.

which is why there are two + and two - on mono block amps.

lets take two 4 ohm DVC subs in a separate chamber box.

sub 1: coil 1 + to coil 2 +

sub 1: coil 1 - to coil 2 -

Ohm load = 2.

sub 2: coil 1 + to coil 2 +

sub 2: coil 1 - to coil 2 -

Ohm load = 2.

now what i do is i like to keep it neat, so i go buy two terminal cups since it is a separate chamber box.

mount the terminal cups to the box. (one per chamber since it is a separate chamber box)

run two cables from each of the subs to the terminal cup.

Sub 1:

one from the positive to the red side of the terminal cup.

one from the negative to the black side of the terminal cup.

Sub 2:

one from the positive to the red side of the terminal cup.

one from the negative to the black side of the terminal cup.

each sub is now wired at 2 ohm. each sub is now in parallel.

now you will need two more cables PER SUB.

Sub 1:

positive from the terminal cup to positive on the amp.

negative from the terminal cup to negative on the amp.

your amp now sees a 2 ohm load.

Sub 2:

positive from the terminal cup to positive on the amp.

negative from the terminal cup to negative on the amp.

your amp now sees a 1 ohm load.

these subs are now wired in parallel/parallel.

this is the only way to do it besides drilling a hole in the middle of the box and running two cables over to the other sub.

09 Civic EX

KDC-X395

(2) SKAR Audio VVX-12

Skar Audio SK-1500.1

4 cu ft @32 (new box and more port soon)

Firing Forward not sealed off

Stock 80 Amp Alt

Big 3 In 1/0 Knu

2 Runs To The Back 1 Pos 1 Neg In 1/0 Knu

DD-1'd 13.8v drop

• 5 years later...

I had an installer, installed my (2) 4ohm DVC JL 10w6v3 that were already wired to 2 ohms from the factory to my mono amp by running 2 negs and 2 pos from the amp directly to the terminals on the box. When I asked if this was correct his statement was that amp would drop the load to 1 ohm inside the amp so there was no need to wire them to each other inside the box. From what I'm reading in this thread this seems incorrect???

Archived