Second Skin Audio

Plywood vs MDF

Smoove

I never noticed Birch at the local Home Depot or Lowes. Any idea if they make it 1" thick, or just 3/4"? I'm planning a wall sometime in 2012 and need at least 25-30 sheets of 1" mdf, Birch would be better if if lighter.

2001 Blazer ~ (2) 10" DC lvl 4's, Orion 2500d 148.9db

2005 Astro ~ (2) 18" DC XL's, Atomic 5000.1 153.9 db

New England SPL

NESPL - YouTube

where do you see plywood being used?
Birch = plywood
Trying to find out if I should buy Birch for a single 10"
The main reason people use birch is cause of the weight savings, so if that's your goal then I'd say no cause for a single 10 the difference won't be that noticeable. But people also go birch cause they like the look of it, especially when stained and cleared so if that's your goal then I say go for it. I highly doubt you'd be able to hear any difference in the two so that shouldn't factor in at all.

i like birch because i can get it 30 bucks a sheet at work and it takes less prep work to finish. it doesnt adsorb as much as mdf and if you want you can stain it, the only thing that sucks is that you can see the layers on the end

Yep, yep, yep and yep.

Alpine CDA-117...Memphis 16-X03

CDT Audio SQA-4100...SEAS Prestige H1396...Crescendo MP-6

Soundstream Rubicon 1.2500d...Digital Designs 3512f

i like birch because i can get it 30 bucks a sheet at work and it takes less prep work to finish. it doesnt adsorb as much as mdf and if you want you can stain it, the only thing that sucks is that you can see the layers on the end

you can 45 the corners or ends and have a flush look. Its a pain though but is possible. You kinda have everything internally put together and just drop the 2 45 ends to sit properly. Or, you can drop sheets or panels of 1/8 inch or 1/4 and 45 those then sand the ends to where you can't see the joints. kinda wrap it! I've done many at work.

you can 45 the corners or ends and have a flush look. Its a pain though but is possible. You kinda have everything internally put together and just drop the 2 45 ends to sit properly. Or, you can drop sheets or panels of 1/8 inch or 1/4 and 45 those then sand the ends to where you can't see the joints. kinda wrap it! I've done many at work.

with my next box, i'm planning on making some hardwood molding from scraps with the molding maker, its not hard to cover it up its just an extra step

JEEP BUILD PROJECT ANTIBLING.2000 jeep Cherokee.HEADUNITAlpine Cda-9886SUBSTAGE1 acendent 18" audio mayhem motor with a TI basket and tantric parts1 prototype DAT hellfire 1000.1HIGHSStockELECTRICALdb link 0 gaugeKnuconceptz Kolossus 4 gauge1 xs power d3400 under hoodBig 3 upgradeold fourwheeler build

The only way to delete your SMD account is for you crawl to steve meades door step on your knees and pleade for his forgiveness and acceptance to be released...He will either grant your wishes.....or choke you with a large piece of 0 gauge and electrocute you by hooking up a solid gold DC 12k at 0.000001 ohm and 10000 volts to your eye sockets and blow your head apart

You guys act like you have never clogged a toilet and ran around the bathroom frantically hoping it don't overflow.

when i use birch i make sure to only use baltic birch. it is 11 ply very dense and strong. the domestic birch is just a thin layer of birch over plywood and it is only 7ply and has voids throughout.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/ind...showtopic=29213 "sleeper build"

(1) DC AUDIO Level4XL 10

(2) PowermasterD2700 batteries

ALL FOR SALE

TEAM DC AUDIO

TEAM DIRTFLOORPOOR

with my next box, i'm planning on making some hardwood molding from scraps with the molding maker, its not hard to cover it up its just an extra step

not at all, that's a good idea. just an idea; what if you leave the pieces that show about the thickness of the molding and just add the molding and make it look flush? na,?

well on the front since i'm using a double baffle. i,m just gonna mount the baffle on the outside then use the 3/4 moldings to make it sit flush

JEEP BUILD PROJECT ANTIBLING.2000 jeep Cherokee.HEADUNITAlpine Cda-9886SUBSTAGE1 acendent 18" audio mayhem motor with a TI basket and tantric parts1 prototype DAT hellfire 1000.1HIGHSStockELECTRICALdb link 0 gaugeKnuconceptz Kolossus 4 gauge1 xs power d3400 under hoodBig 3 upgradeold fourwheeler build

The only way to delete your SMD account is for you crawl to steve meades door step on your knees and pleade for his forgiveness and acceptance to be released...He will either grant your wishes.....or choke you with a large piece of 0 gauge and electrocute you by hooking up a solid gold DC 12k at 0.000001 ohm and 10000 volts to your eye sockets and blow your head apart

You guys act like you have never clogged a toilet and ran around the bathroom frantically hoping it don't overflow.

use granite its better than both and most other materials

^wtf? Is that really a way to build a box...if so I'd love to see some...

Isn't birch wood good for staining..if so...it'd look really nice.

New build coming soon. [center][url="http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/3/sigtoo.jpg/"][img]http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/9541/sigtoo.jpg[/img][/url][/center]

I never noticed Birch at the local Home Depot or Lowes. Any idea if they make it 1" thick, or just 3/4"? I'm planning a wall sometime in 2012 and need at least 25-30 sheets of 1" mdf, Birch would be better if if lighter.

What in the bloody hell could possibly take 25-30 sheets of 4x8 wood!?!?!?! I could build a wall in a full size uhaul with less wood.

Archived