Second Skin Audio

Plywood vs MDF

Smoove

Back in the Late 80's early 90's I was always told to use MDF to build a speaker box. I see a lot of people here using Plywood. Is there a reason to use one vs the other. Does box design have anything to do with which type of wood to use?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

its birch plywood.. the real shit...its expensive usually around 55 a sheet.. its both stronger and later BUT mdf is cheaper..but both will work

p.s. no versus threads... theres also about 10 threads on this throughout the forum

This isn't teeball. YOU DO NOT GET A TROPHY JUST BECAUSE YOU SHOW UP. Put the work in and then maybe get the respect when it has been earned

151.6 with single 12 at 41 hz

153.2 with 2 12's at 43 hz

power: dd m4

where do you see plywood being used? i still see a lot of MDF. although Baltic Birch is very nice as well. and you just want a wood that doesnt flex so you lose output. yet light as possible.

Buyer/Seller Feedback Thread: http://www.stevemead...5015-bump4life/
MB C220 153 Trunk Car Build Log: http://www.stevemead...d/#entry1840136
MB C280 Ipad Dash SQ Build Log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/194484-bump4lifes-new-benz-tony-c-relay-kit-pictures-ce-electric-audison-front-stage-installed/
My SPL Log: http://www.stevemead...__fromsearch__1

BMW M340 xDrive

Stock, for now. Corner Load 10" maybe soon. But does 10s in the 1/4...
Best Scores out of a trunk
153.0 sealed legal full tilt clamped 5524 @ 42 hz
154+ windows down, 155+ kick

Yes I am referring to the Birch. I already have some MDF for my next project. Trying to find out if I should buy Birch for a single 10"

i like birch because i can get it 30 bucks a sheet at work and it takes less prep work to finish. it doesnt adsorb as much as mdf and if you want you can stain it, the only thing that sucks is that you can see the layers on the end

JEEP BUILD PROJECT ANTIBLING.2000 jeep Cherokee.HEADUNITAlpine Cda-9886SUBSTAGE1 acendent 18" audio mayhem motor with a TI basket and tantric parts1 prototype DAT hellfire 1000.1HIGHSStockELECTRICALdb link 0 gaugeKnuconceptz Kolossus 4 gauge1 xs power d3400 under hoodBig 3 upgradeold fourwheeler build

The only way to delete your SMD account is for you crawl to steve meades door step on your knees and pleade for his forgiveness and acceptance to be released...He will either grant your wishes.....or choke you with a large piece of 0 gauge and electrocute you by hooking up a solid gold DC 12k at 0.000001 ohm and 10000 volts to your eye sockets and blow your head apart

You guys act like you have never clogged a toilet and ran around the bathroom frantically hoping it don't overflow.

i like birch because i can get it 30 bucks a sheet at work and it takes less prep work to finish. it doesnt adsorb as much as mdf and if you want you can stain it, the only thing that sucks is that you can see the layers on the end

X2

Also I believe its around 20lbs lighter (4x8 sheet compared to MDF). Worked well when building my wall for my GTI.. saved on weight a tad.

2005 VW GTI 1.8T

(4) Fi BTL N2 15s/ 4th order bandpass

(2) Crescendo BC5500s

Crescendo c1000.4

(4) Selenium 6w4p (Q logic Kicks)

Crescendo FT1 tweeters

3 runs of 4/0

Too much 1/0

DC power Engineering 320 XP ~235A at idle

3 XS D3100s

i have used birch for several boxes now and i dont believe ill go back to mdf.using it for a 10 sub the wieght differnce wont be much, but in bigger applications it will add up quickly.

2007 trailblazer lthead unit- pioneer p4300dvd

crescendo ft-1 supertweeters

pioneer m650 pros

audiocontrol 2xs crossover

Rockford fosgate p200-2 highsrockford fosgate p400-2 mids1- fi btl 18amps- saz 3500battery- evermax in front, 2 9a31 dekas in rearwires all knuconceptz 1/0 and rcas

X2

Also I believe its around 20lbs lighter (4x8 sheet compared to MDF). Worked well when building my wall for my GTI.. saved on weight a tad.

exactly birch is 30% lighter then mdf and just as strong if not stronger. this is why im probably doing birch to save weight in my trunk for the 10 cube box im building

1) lookj to left

2) NOTICE BLKUE

3) ME > Y9OU

4) that is all

Archived