CE Auto Electric Supply

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks guys! I really did enjoy my car audio days. Here's a bit more history . . .

I remember begging & pleading for a job as an installer in the '80s. I lived in Southwest MO then. Finally, a shop in Joplin, MO offered me a job for $200 / week. That shop was The Soundwave (long out of business). I thought that was all the money in town. At that time, I'd of done it for free.

Prior to working there, I'd had a bunch of systems in my car (the metal in it was like Swiss cheese from all the revisions) but had no access to any of the good brands. We ran lots of Pyle speakers, built systems mainly with 6x9s in enclosures with passive radiators, and used Sunkyong amplifiers. I began using large capacitors that we robbed out of old IBM card counters to keep my dash lights from dimming . . . as early as 1986. [Keep in mind, that was about 8 years before the capacitor business existed.] When I took the job at The Soundwave, I convinced them to become a HiFonics dealer (series VII had just come out). I ordered an ISIS, a Europa, and a Pegasus (who besides TomTom will remember any of that stuff?) for my 5.0L 84 Mustang L. I built an enclosure straight out of the pages of the Loudspeaker Design Cookbook. It had (4) MTX Terminator 12" woofers, each pair in a compound sealed arrangement - woofers mounted cone to magnet with only one of each pair visible. I had a top of the line Kenwood cassette deck . . . yep, cassette. It had Dolby B, C, and dbx. Man, those were the days . . . To this day, I'm not sure I've ever had another system that played lower.

From there, I went on to work for a shop called Weststide Electronics. Their primary business was installing C-band satellite systems (again, WHO remembers that?). After I started, the owner and I decided to call the car audio side of it Audio Vibrations. Our tagline was "Giving You the Sound You Can Feel Behind The Wheel." We were a Kicker, Autotek, and Earthquake dealer and I gutted my Mustang and built my craziest system to date. It had over 2,000 watts, 27 speakers including a pair of 18" woofers, and I retained the back seat. I used Autotek amps, Kicker "Separates", a harmon / kardon crossover network, the Pegasus EQ, and an Alpine CD Player. It also had a Phoenix Gold 190 amp large case alternator, a matching battery isolator, 1/0 AWG and 2 AWG cable, and three Champion 875 batteries. I also used a bevy of large electrolytic capacitors -(4) GE 140,000 microfarad to supplement the charging system. In that area, nobody had seen anything like it - keep in mind that this was about 1991. This system was over the top, even by today's standards. People came from all over to see and hear it and it kind of put me on the map as an installer. I still have a bunch of pics of that system. Keep in mind, there were NO Bass CDs and rap music was in its infancy. Top demo material in the Mustang was Bachbusters, Thomas Dolby's Aliens Ate My Buick, and M.C.A.D.E. How Much Can You Take? Who has any of THOSE CDs?

And those were the early days . . . My how time passes . . .

Tony Candela - SMD Sales & Marketing
Email me at [email protected] to learn about becoming an SMD Partner!

CEAES_468.gif

I will be putting that discount to work and welcome!

1993 Full Size Blazer

Pioneer 7200HD

AQ 90x4

AQ 3500.1

Big Three 0/1

DC Power 270xp

2 DC Audio 15" XL M2

85 SQ feet of Audio Technix deadner

Sound Stream BX-20z epicenter

Front 4x6 Polk DB

Doors 2 sets Polk MM 6501

Rear Polk MM 5401

All Stinger HPM wiring

Really cool and congrats. I checked out the site and will make sure I send some of my business your way SMD partners are my go to for purchases :drinks:

2013 Dodge Charger

Build Log

1996 Ford Explorer XLT 5.0
Build Log

2005 Honda Civic LX Coupe

Build Log

SMD SUPER SELLER!!!!
My Selling Feedback

Dresig1_zps7acbddbb.gif

Dresig2_zpscfb11527.gif

Love hearing stories like that from back in the day :drinks:

Hell before I was born, its cool to see how it was as todays standards is all kids my age know :rofl:

Good luck with the business dude :good: and if you could manage to find a pic or 2 of that system you built it`d be awesome :woot:

Edited by Emmet

i shook this one kids hand and it just folded in mine. long story short i fucked his girlfriendso.. yeah..

You want this to happen to you? Give decent handshakes people.

I was gifted with an innate ability to distribute wholesale ass beatings in a timely and orderly fashion.