It's not welding cable. It's tinned OFC, pure copper, and meets the AWG specification. Basically, it's the most expensive cable there is from a raw goods perspective. We don't sell CCA. It's only $7 / foot when you buy less than 6 feet. It's as cheap as $6 / foot in 10+ foot lengths and even less by the spool.

As you likely know, Copper prices continue to rise at astronomical rates. Many companies have kept their wire and cable prices in line by using less copper. I won't use anything that isn't pure copper and I prefer the tinned OFC because I do some business in the marine channels as well, where that's all they want.

Tony Candela - SMD Sales & Marketing
Email me at [email protected] to learn about becoming an SMD Partner!

CEAES_468.gif

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks guys! I really did enjoy my car audio days. Here's a bit more history . . .

I remember begging & pleading for a job as an installer in the '80s. I lived in Southwest MO then. Finally, a shop in Joplin, MO offered me a job for $200 / week. That shop was The Soundwave (long out of business). I thought that was all the money in town. At that time, I'd of done it for free.

Prior to working there, I'd had a bunch of systems in my car (the metal in it was like Swiss cheese from all the revisions) but had no access to any of the good brands. We ran lots of Pyle speakers, built systems mainly with 6x9s in enclosures with passive radiators, and used Sunkyong amplifiers. I began using large capacitors that we robbed out of old IBM card counters to keep my dash lights from dimming . . . as early as 1986. [Keep in mind, that was about 8 years before the capacitor business existed.] When I took the job at The Soundwave, I convinced them to become a HiFonics dealer (series VII had just come out). I ordered an ISIS, a Europa, and a Pegasus (who besides TomTom will remember any of that stuff?) for my 5.0L 84 Mustang L. I built an enclosure straight out of the pages of the Loudspeaker Design Cookbook. It had (4) MTX Terminator 12" woofers, each pair in a compound sealed arrangement - woofers mounted cone to magnet with only one of each pair visible. I had a top of the line Kenwood cassette deck . . . yep, cassette. It had Dolby B, C, and dbx. Man, those were the days . . . To this day, I'm not sure I've ever had another system that played lower.

From there, I went on to work for a shop called Weststide Electronics. Their primary business was installing C-band satellite systems (again, WHO remembers that?). After I started, the owner and I decided to call the car audio side of it Audio Vibrations. Our tagline was "Giving You the Sound You Can Feel Behind The Wheel." We were a Kicker, Autotek, and Earthquake dealer and I gutted my Mustang and built my craziest system to date. It had over 2,000 watts, 27 speakers including a pair of 18" woofers, and I retained the back seat. I used Autotek amps, Kicker "Separates", a harmon / kardon crossover network, the Pegasus EQ, and an Alpine CD Player. It also had a Phoenix Gold 190 amp large case alternator, a matching battery isolator, 1/0 AWG and 2 AWG cable, and three Champion 875 batteries. I also used a bevy of large electrolytic capacitors -(4) GE 140,000 microfarad to supplement the charging system. In that area, nobody had seen anything like it - keep in mind that this was about 1991. This system was over the top, even by today's standards. People came from all over to see and hear it and it kind of put me on the map as an installer. I still have a bunch of pics of that system. Keep in mind, there were NO Bass CDs and rap music was in its infancy. Top demo material in the Mustang was Bachbusters, Thomas Dolby's Aliens Ate My Buick, and M.C.A.D.E. How Much Can You Take? Who has any of THOSE CDs?

And those were the early days . . . My how time passes . . .

:ttiwwop:

congrats on the partnership!

m_8e0e9deb0e2a020a7ff1bf0d3a6c3306.jpgth_140x100square.jpgth_140x100rev2animated.gifsoundigital.pngth_Banner_140x100.jpgn221468318568_2854.jpg

8_RedDevillogo.pngteamtexflex-1.jpg

Well, this was PRE digital cameras, PRE cell phones that weren't physically mounted in your vehicle, and PRE cell phones with built in cameras! You guys have it MADE when it comes to technology these days.

At The Soundwave, we used to install cell phones for Alltel. They sold a Uniden cell phone for $895.00 installed . . . YES, eight hundred and ninety five dollars! If you weren't in your car when it rang, then you were SOL. About 20% of the customers had us interface the "horn-honk" interface. So, if you weren't in your vehicle when your phone rang, it would honk the horn alerting you that the phone was ringing. If you heard that, you could race to your vehicle and attempt to take the call. Could you imagine that today? LOL . . . dude, WTF is up with your car horn honking like that? I HATED installing cell phones - such a PITA, especially when the customer wanted a roof-mount antenna.

Funny thing is that I later went to work for a shop in Little Rock, AR and our South store actually sold and installed FAKE cell phones. Fake phone and pedestal, fake glass mount antenna, fake cords, etc. They sold them for $100.00 installed and they couldn't keep them in stock. How silly is that?

CEAES_468.gif

Congrats man!

And I prefer MC A.D.E- Hit Harder... lol. The good ol days *sigh..

TEAM Fi CAR AUDIO/ TEAM CRESCENDO AUDIO

Bagged '06 Dodge Magnum R/T "WICKED WAYS"

-4 Fi SP4 18's (4th Order)

-2 Fi SSD 10's (midbass)

-4 Diamond Audio D6 Comp Sets

-1pr. Crescendo FT-1 Supertweets

-Dual Alts -6 XS Power Batts

-4 Crescendo BC3500d's (subs)

-1 Crescendo BC2000d (10's)

-1 Crescendo c1100.4 (comps)

2010-10-14171939.jpg

• 1 year later...

It's interesting how far CE Auto Electric Supply has come since I first posted this thread. At the time, I had really just finished building our inventory foundation I had a pretty wide selection, but not any depth to speak of. Fast forward to today and our inventory has quadrupled in size. We do business with over twenty world class manufacturers and I'm proud to say that I've hand selected only the best products I can find - I'd use any of them in my own vehicles any day (and I often do).

So, if it's been a while since you visited our web site, I invite you to come check it out. Since I originally posted this thread, the web site has doubled in size, I've added a shopping cart, and I've gone out of my way to provide as many answers as I can to commonly asked questions.

Thank you to each and every SMD Member that has supported us and referred CE Auto Electric Supply to your friends!

CEAES_468.gif

• 5 months later...

nice:)

last build was my malibu walled on a single skar 4500 @.33 daily

6 deka g31 batts Singer 330a alt 4 runs of 3/0 front-back

Three hdc3 15

Did a 154.6 this summer at Grassroots

Building a 99 yukon denali atm

?

18 from canada ontario