Second Skin Audio

Box Tuning for Dummies?

Yelladawg351

What does it mean tuning box to the sub? Because really a Sub is like a hi/performance engine to me as long u do not put too much boost, nitro, etc(clipping in car audio realm) to the engine u will b fine. I mean does the sub perform excellent until the tuning frequency then sound bad there after? Or Is the port tuning like a fuse with the help of the subsonic filter from the sub frying from playing too low of notes. Or did I answer my question?

Say your box is tuned to 32hz. That means your sub(s) will sound best at that frequency, and around it. Frequencies far above, and far below, will not play as clearly as 32hz.

1999 Pontiac Grand Prix GT Click to see my build log!

(2) SKAR VVX-12

Hifonics Brutus BRZ2400.1D

Hey stupid. I got your report. You cant type a coherent sentence but yet think you can run this much power? You cant even hyperlink on the internet. You have no mention of power upgrades. You just want dat big boom dat make dem bitchez panteez drop. Next time you report someone make sure the one getting the report isnt the one you reported.

What does it mean tuning box to the sub? Because really a Sub is like a hi/performance engine to me as long u do not put too much boost, nitro, etc(clipping in car audio realm) to the engine u will b fine. I mean does the sub perform excellent until the tuning frequency then sound bad there after? Or Is the port tuning like a fuse with the help of the subsonic filter from the sub frying from playing too low of notes. Or did I answer my question?

When tuning your box you are finding a happy mediam. Say you tune it to 35hz, you will play low into the 20's and high into the 40's or 50's if you know what you are doing. Depending on port size and tuning basically you are setting your frequency range. I am tuned to 29hz. So i play donwn to around 10hz and as high as 60hz just fine. Your tuning has nothing to do with power, just sound level and control.

Pioneer AVIC F900BT double din

Stinger digital volt meter on dash

1/0 guage power wire positive and negative

Interstate 117ah battery in the back

2 runs 4 guage power wire from rear battery to amp

Power Acoustics Stax 5500

4 Powerbass m-15's(old style)

2 sets o2 5.25 inch components in front

2 Sony 5x7 in back

Sony 500 watt 4 channel

Say your box is tuned to 32hz. That means your sub(s) will sound best at that frequency, and around it. Frequencies far above, and far below, will not play as clearly as 32hz.

Not completely true. I am curently tuned to 29hz, but my best sounding frequency is around 18-20hz. And my range is fonominal and super clean and clear.

2 Sony 5x7 in back

Sony 500 watt 4 channel

Not completely true. I am curently tuned to 29hz, but my best sounding frequency is around 18-20hz. And my range is fonominal and super clean and clear.

I don't understand 100% then. What is it that causes your best freqs that much lower to sound better?

(2) SKAR VVX-12

Hey stupid. I got your report. You cant type a coherent sentence but yet think you can run this much power? You cant even hyperlink on the internet. You have no mention of power upgrades. You just want dat big boom dat make dem bitchez panteez drop. Next time you report someone make sure the one getting the report isnt the one you reported.

I don't understand 100% then. What is it that causes your best freqs that much lower to sound better?

Idk, it was a huge surprise to me too.

2 Sony 5x7 in back

Sony 500 watt 4 channel

Just because you tune a box at 35hz doesnt mean you will play the best at that. Its not "clarity" its "peak" for the dude saying that

The tuning of the box is only in the desired equation of finding the actual Frequency bandwidth and peaks which can be found only by a termlab. (i think)

Don't get so caught up in a number. but i would tune personally whatever the specs says for that specific driver, but i use a rule of thumb anywhere between 33hz and 38hz

start here. http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/38791-torres-box-tuning-calculator/

You know how you avoid that? Man the fuck up and bang her best friend sister mom cousin worst enemy and never look back.

JUST SAY ANTI-AUDIOPIPE

From the answers I'm getting I should pic a sub from my music genre then tune it to the music I listen to. Because I'm goin broke tryin to find that sub that will sound good from Rock to Rap. I know they're will be someone agreeing with me from buying that $250 name brand sub then sounding like crap cause of the music they listen too.

Dude the sub brand and crap doesn't have really anything to do with that... You wan to tune the box to make the sub play in a certain frequency range the best.. IMO 29-32 hz is awesome for just rap, 33-36 is good for rock rap mix and 37-39 hz for sticky rock.. That's the simplest explanation..

If you read and look stuff up and figure out what your doing, no that 250 dollar sub will no sound like crap, so for most people around here they aren't going to agree with you..

Laying frame soon.. System has to wait

From the answers I'm getting I should pic a sub from my music genre then tune it to the music I listen to. Because I'm goin broke tryin to find that sub that will sound good from Rock to Rap. I know they're will be someone agreeing with me from buying that $250 name brand sub then sounding like crap cause of the music they listen too.

How it sounds is usually in the box, not the sub. Even Xplods can sound good with the proper box.

(2) SKAR VVX-12

Archived