LED lights lighting up when bass hits

Sigh.. I've explained this before plenty of times lol.

If you hook your LEDs to your speaker terminals and they light up with the bass, it means you're clipping. LEDs light up when shown DC current, correct? What does an amp do when it clips? Outputs dc current. So what you think looks cool, is actually ruining equipment. Do it the right way, someone sells a little box that takes the rca's and transfers the signal into power for the LEDs.

Obviously you were never taught about how DIODES work. Current only flows in one direction so, Light Emitting Diodes will light up with AC current(aka AC Amperage, remember... you test it when clamping rms power)

The positive swing of AC is the voltage, the negative swing of AC is the current.

It is still a stupid idea. You risk frying the led lights...unless u r made of money...its just a waste of time. Sure the refernce I said off of amazon is off by like a milli second...but it still works like a charm. Though my sound box is so far away from my subs.

I always used a sound box n I have no complaints.

(sorry for the late response, all of the posts didn't show up for some reason until after i submitted my response)

I never said it was a good idea. Even if you do it correctly with a resistor in series the current would be enough destroy the resistor/LED... maybe not instantly but eventually.

Having any lights inside while driving is a stupid idea, for shows and stuff LEDs are cool but illegal is illegal

A buddy of mine did that. Those led lights blew like you were watching popcorn cook in the microwave.

Where I live isnt. Been pulled over once and the cop just wanted to see it...as long as its not on your windows flashing at people...its apparently legal...like if u have them under your seats or something. Like you said. Illegal is illegal...led lights are just show off

New build coming soon. [center][url="http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/3/sigtoo.jpg/"][img]http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/9541/sigtoo.jpg[/img][/url][/center]

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived