DD1 owners manual question

I thought this might help visualize what's going on when you use different dB level tones for your DD-1

DD-1Help.jpg

These are 40hz sine waves. They are all 10sec long so crests/troughs align to point out how drastically different 0db is from -15db. Keep in mind once you add mids/highs it wont look like that at all but this is what the signals look like when checking for distortion/clipping

Edited by Decaf

TeamSundown-sig.jpg

Highlight 1sec or less, no more

Go To Analyze

Then Plot Spectrum

Change Size to 16384

Change Axis to LOG frequency

Scroll cursor until it aligns with the vertical line designating the peak dB level

Look at the info below the graph and it tells you what Hz, the musical note and dB level.

TeamSundown-sig.jpg

• 2 years later...

I use the -10dB track. I'm not into the bass heavy "music" that many here seem to like. I primarily listen to classic rock, blues and jazz. The problem I've run into is that many older recordings (like from the 70's) aren't recorded at a very high level. Using the -10dB track helps to bring up those songs to acceptable levels when I want to crank them up a little. On more recent recordings the same max volume settings for older recordings tends to be TOO loud and I can hear it just begin to stress the speakers and subs. On these tracks I tend to back off the volume a bit. One of my fave recording is Robin Trower's "Bridge of Sighs". On my Advent OGM1 my max volume setting is 53 of 60. With my current gain settings a volume of 53 is plenty loud for my liking. If I leave the volume setting the same and play a newer track (Mayor Hawthorne's "The Walk" for instance) at that same max volume setting I can hear that the speakers are getting close to their limits. I can always turn the newer, louder recordings down a little since turning the older recordings up even higher isn't an option.

2011 Chevy Silverado LT 5.3L 4x4 Ext.-cab

"Enjoy yourself. It's later than you think."

I set my gains to negative 15 and blew 3 door speakers at the same time. I think I'm just going to concentrate on getting a louder setup instead of trying to depend on my amp to make it louder.

I wouldnt use -15 for ANYTHING. You should have blown your door speakers using that track. Sorry.....but....

I use the -10dB track. I'm not into the bass heavy "music" that many here seem to like. I primarily listen to classic rock, blues and jazz. The problem I've run into is that many older recordings (like from the 70's) aren't recorded at a very high level. Using the -10dB track helps to bring up those songs to acceptable levels when I want to crank them up a little. On more recent recordings the same max volume settings for older recordings tends to be TOO loud and I can hear it just begin to stress the speakers and subs. On these tracks I tend to back off the volume a bit. One of my fave recording is Robin Trower's "Bridge of Sighs". On my Advent OGM1 my max volume setting is 53 of 60. With my current gain settings a volume of 53 is plenty loud for my liking. If I leave the volume setting the same and play a newer track (Mayor Hawthorne's "The Walk" for instance) at that same max volume setting I can hear that the speakers are getting close to their limits. I can always turn the newer, louder recordings down a little since turning the older recordings up even higher isn't an option.

I like in between. Chris made a -3.5 and a -7.5 track.

I like the -7.5 :) It for me, is perfect.

• 4 years later...

So I can use a -5db for decaf? An Dj Russticals says his playback is -7.5db so it would be ok to use a -7.5db correct? And if so anyone know where I can get 40hz -7.5db.

Edited by BONES

3 hours ago, BONES said:

So I can use a -5db for decaf? An Dj Russticals says his playback is -7.5db so it would be ok to use a -7.5db correct? And if so anyone know where I can get 40hz -7.5db.

You’re going to change offsets for each song you play? Better stock up on 9v batteries.... 

as for -7.5dB, DD-1+ version has a screen that lets your set custom offsets. If you have the basic DD-1, then check out this post