Sonic Electronix

Where to begin? I look at all these new brands these days and I just don't know how to choose. I like DC, RE, FI, and Sundown to name a few, but I don't know how to choose. I'm not looking for brand opinions but how do I choose the brand for me. I don't have the cash now (put everything I had saved up in savings when I found out my wife was pregnant) but now I have a new job allowing me to save again. I know what my budget will be, but I want to know what I'm saving for. How do I go about choosing the brand I want to run?

This has to be one of the best example of how a new person should come in and ask for advice. It was such a good example it pulled me out of lurking, and I've been lurking for the past year or so.

I would do two 15"s.Now $4,000 for everything is a really nice budget. It is going to come down to preference really. Choose a brand by pulling a name out of the jar, lol.
ok thank you, yeah thats what its coming down too for the brand lol, they all seem really good in there own way. that helps my decision making though, two 15"s will leave me with plenty of room for a box and plenty of money per sub.
500$ per sub since you are only running 2, will get you 2 bad ass subs, so1000$ in subs1500~ in electrical700-1000 in the ampand 200-300 in materialscomes out to 3800~ and the only reason i said 1500 in electrical is because upgraded alts are generally around 500~and then 1000$ worth of batts building materials dont really cost alot, so its prob around 100$ in reality, i just gave some extra spending room incase you need itkeep in mind, you dont have to follow this guideline, you can always go cheaper, but dont skimp out on electrical of all things

^^This is a really great starting point^^ And like he said, he's high balling everything.

The only thing I would swap is more ALT's in place of batteries. IMO 1x300amp will easily take the place of 2x batteries. So if cabin space is going to be a issue I would go with more alts, instead of filling your back cargo bay with batteries. This will also allow for more space for your box.

How many batts would you recommend if I'm looking at something like a 5k and would more batts one alt be sufficient or 2 alts less batts be easier. I haven't had a system in years and nothing this big yet. But so far I like DC for there SPL and I hear they still have good sq too and I can't beat the price as far as I can see.

Like i said in the post above, alt's over batts all day in my book. The best purchase I have ever made for my electrical setup was my 300amp alt. It carried me through my small 2kwrms system, to my 4kwrms+ system. It was the single thing in my electrical that was with me through out all my builds, and all my cars. Some people will argue otherwise. But once again go with more alts if you don't want to stuff your cargo bay with 80+ pound batteries. And for 5kwrms I would go with a 300amp alt and a 250-amp with a high idle output. The 1batt up front and 2batts in the back.

Where to begin? I look at all these new brands these days and I just don't know how to choose. I like DC, RE, FI, and Sundown to name a few, but I don't know how to choose. I'm not looking for brand opinions but how do I choose the brand for me. I don't have the cash now (put everything I had saved up in savings when I found out my wife was pregnant) but now I have a new job allowing me to save again. I know what my budget will be, but I want to know what I'm saving for. How do I go about choosing the brand I want to run?

This has to be one of the best example of how a new person should come in and ask for advice. It was such a good example it pulled me out of lurking, and I've been lurking for the past year or so.

I would do two 15"s.Now $4,000 for everything is a really nice budget. It is going to come down to preference really. Choose a brand by pulling a name out of the jar, lol.
ok thank you, yeah thats what its coming down too for the brand lol, they all seem really good in there own way. that helps my decision making though, two 15"s will leave me with plenty of room for a box and plenty of money per sub.
500$ per sub since you are only running 2, will get you 2 bad ass subs, so1000$ in subs1500~ in electrical700-1000 in the ampand 200-300 in materialscomes out to 3800~ and the only reason i said 1500 in electrical is because upgraded alts are generally around 500~and then 1000$ worth of batts building materials dont really cost alot, so its prob around 100$ in reality, i just gave some extra spending room incase you need itkeep in mind, you dont have to follow this guideline, you can always go cheaper, but dont skimp out on electrical of all things

^^This is a really great starting point^^ And like he said, he's high balling everything.

The only thing I would swap is more ALT's in place of batteries. IMO 1x300amp will easily take the place of 2x batteries. So if cabin space is going to be a issue I would go with more alts, instead of filling your back cargo bay with batteries. This will also allow for more space for your box.

How many batts would you recommend if I'm looking at something like a 5k and would more batts one alt be sufficient or 2 alts less batts be easier. I haven't had a system in years and nothing this big yet. But so far I like DC for there SPL and I hear they still have good sq too and I can't beat the price as far as I can see.

Like i said in the post above, alt's over batts all day in my book. The best purchase I have ever made for my electrical setup was my 300amp alt. It carried me through my small 2kwrms system, to my 4kwrms+ system. It was the single thing in my electrical that was with me through out all my builds, and all my cars. Some people will argue otherwise. But once again go with more alts if you don't want to stuff your cargo bay with 80+ pound batteries. And for 5kwrms I would go with a 300amp alt and a 250-amp with a high idle output. The 1batt up front and 2batts in the back.

well the price i listed for a alt was prob good up to 300a alt, so 1 300 should hold him well into the 4-5kw in power, and 1000$ worth of batts would help maintain the voltage.

since hes only running 1 3.5k now, even a 250a alt would suffice. but i agree, alts > batts but sometimes you cant have higher output alts or multiple alts, so ya gotta rely on batts.

The DC Integra 3 18s to 6 15 build log

Team_DC-Derrick's Youtube

Team DC Audio

where theres a will theres a wall.......

I just realized Steve has reach Voldemort status, over on JP's site he is the one who will not be named....."We dont speak his name over here, fearing it will destroy us" LOL not even in hush tones

havent seen it mentioned but figure in some for deadener as well

This isn't teeball. YOU DO NOT GET A TROPHY JUST BECAUSE YOU SHOW UP. Put the work in and then maybe get the respect when it has been earned

151.6 with single 12 at 41 hz

153.2 with 2 12's at 43 hz

power: dd m4

well the price i listed for a alt was prob good up to 300a alt, so 1 300 should hold him well into the 4-5kw in power, and 1000$ worth of batts would help maintain the voltage.

since hes only running 1 3.5k now, even a 250a alt would suffice. but i agree, alts > batts but sometimes you cant have higher output alts or multiple alts, so ya gotta rely on batts.

Ok so I looked on Mechman's website and I can only get a 270 amp alt that will be plug and play otherwise it would have to be custom built and I have no idea the cost of one of those. So should I get one 270 first and if I upgrade later on I can add a second 270?

Ok so I looked on Mechman's website and I can only get a 270 amp alt that will be plug and play otherwise it would have to be custom built and I have no idea the cost of one of those. So should I get one 270 first and if I upgrade later on I can add a second 270?

I vote alt first, but thats because i dislike voltage drop, adding batteries with out the alt power to back it up just puts a bandaid on a big cut, sure it helps, but for how long.

Team DC Audio

I just realized Steve has reach Voldemort status, over on JP's site he is the one who will not be named....."We dont speak his name over here, fearing it will destroy us" LOL not even in hush tones

havent seen it mentioned but figure in some for deadener as well

Honestly it totally slipped my mind, but I hear second skin is doing great things. I think I will stick to that because there is alot of people that swear by this stuff on this forum.

I vote alt first, but thats because i dislike voltage drop, adding batteries with out the alt power to back it up just puts a bandaid on a big cut, sure it helps, but for how long.

So your saying get both alts first and a couple batts to start? I'm sure that would work and keep me under budget.

So your saying get both alts first and a couple batts to start? I'm sure that would work and keep me under budget.

if you are only running 3.5k you can get 1 alt to start, and a few batts, that is more than enough for that power.. any higher and i would add another alt..

Team DC Audio

Archived