Sonic Electronix

Where to begin? I look at all these new brands these days and I just don't know how to choose. I like DC, RE, FI, and Sundown to name a few, but I don't know how to choose. I'm not looking for brand opinions but how do I choose the brand for me. I don't have the cash now (put everything I had saved up in savings when I found out my wife was pregnant) but now I have a new job allowing me to save again. I know what my budget will be, but I want to know what I'm saving for. How do I go about choosing the brand I want to run?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Budget and preference. Brand is one thing, but depending on your budget many subs comparable in price will most likely be comparable in performance. See what you can afford, look into the companies, research the products and set your goals. I'm an FI/AA person, but have used almost every brand out there. Many of the subs you find on this forum are great and you almost really can't go wrong regardless of how you swing it.

Tell me...does this smell like chloroform to you?

After your comment I guess it really doesnt matter, after all they are great companies right? My choice is to decide how I want to run it and fit my budget accordingly. I guess my answer lies in my goals? I'm not that worried about numbers, but I want it loud and low. I know many members get annoyed about this question but what do I run to get that? A wall is a no go but do I need 2-4-6 subs, the more subs the more step down in models per the budget. I am not worried about electrical wire and the box those things will be paid separately, so my budget will be subs, amp, battery, and alt.

They are all great but not the same, For example Fi has outstanding SQ subs and is on the expensive side. Sundown is leaning towards the affordable side, DC Audio are more SPL oriented. You should pick a sub that suits the type of system you want.

Ok I will read some more into the brands again, thanks for the advice and info. I just don't want this to turn into a vs. thread because that's not my goal. I will just need to learn the qualities of each company a little more.

I know but if I don't know my overall goal set in stone I don't know what path to take. I can work backwards from my goals to brand to budget but I'll still need help with the insane number of options I have for what I will build.

Here's the start I guess I am not aiming for a set db range but I want low hard hitting but clean bass. I have a flexible budget, but a budget none the less, and a set plan on keeping my second row seats. I imagine I'm looking at SPL but clean sound as well.

Archived