How To Do The Big 3: Tutorial

Guest MegaloManiac

Guest MegaloManiac

Just how important is the "ground to engine block" connection? Is it necessary, or would on good ground be ok?

Your circuit doesnt complete nicely. It is important

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

see heres my delimma. since i have a newer car my alt on the lower left side of my engine and my batterys on the far right. i was talkin to my friend who i let look under my hood, and he said from the looks of things i might have to take off my alt to actually do the alt to battery upgrade or take off my belt. mind you my belt is no more than 4 inches from the side of the car. i just wanted to know if this might be true, and if yall might know of any big chain that might do the upgrade for cheap. i drive a 07 fusion with a 170 amp alt.

Fusion With A Stetsom 4k2d on 2 DC XL 15s tuned to 31hz and Subs and ports forward

The Revolution Was Not Televised

But There Is This Thread(clicky)

Dr Merkenstein is my 360 gamertag and my profession. When shit gets real, call in the Doc

I havnt read thru this whole thread so Im not sure if its been addressed before. Ive used 1/0 on alternators befor and had it burn through the stud on the alternator being because there was no resistance thru the wire. The point of most resistance was the stud on the alternator.

Guest MegaloManiac

see heres my delimma. since i have a newer car my alt on the lower left side of my engine and my batterys on the far right. i was talkin to my friend who i let look under my hood, and he said from the looks of things i might have to take off my alt to actually do the alt to battery upgrade or take off my belt. mind you my belt is no more than 4 inches from the side of the car. i just wanted to know if this might be true, and if yall might know of any big chain that might do the upgrade for cheap. i drive a 07 fusion with a 170 amp alt.

friend had same issue with his car except he had a jetta. He has to take off front fender and a bunch of other stuff to get to his alty...(i think he is taking it to a shop to do it)

friend had same issue with his car except he had a jetta. He has to take off front fender and a bunch of other stuff to get to his alty...(i think he is taking it to a shop to do it)

One thing I get asked a lot about this is when I do the Big 3 do I just leave my factory 8 Gauge and do I still attach those factory ones back to the battery.

I know its pretty simple to get but this is what I've seen asked and have been asked.

So when you update those pics maybe you can include saying you can either do it this way or that way

Moving where the Money Trees are

shop nearby wants frickin 300 bucks to do it >.< i think thats bull i dont even think it include parts. id rather take my car apart myself and do it

Fusion With A Stetsom 4k2d on 2 DC XL 15s tuned to 31hz and Subs and ports forward

Dr Merkenstein is my 360 gamertag and my profession. When shit gets real, call in the Doc

I havnt read thru this whole thread so Im not sure if its been addressed before. Ive used 1/0 on alternators befor and had it burn through the stud on the alternator being because there was no resistance thru the wire. The point of most resistance was the stud on the alternator.

Is this a real possibility, or did he do something wrong. I have got everything to do mine, but I don't want to have this happen?

2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser Voo Doo Blue

my upgrades and "build" thread.

My Kulicki Box Build

-Alpine 9887 head unit, KTX-100EQ imprint-( sound quality for dummies! ). - MB Quartz 3.5" in back pillars

-Sundown Audio SAX100.4 - JL Audio 3 way 6.5" component set XR653-CSi ( doors and dash )

-JL Audio 2 way Component set XR650CSi

- Alpine MRD - M1005 - Alpine Type - R 12" subs -- 2 - 12" s in a Pete kulicki designed box.

-Alpine High speed Ipod cable, and KCA-SC100 with Sirius sat. radio

-All wiring is Stinger 12 gauge and HPM Level 3 RCAs, KnuKonceptz Kolossus Power and ground and Big done in 1/0,

-270 sq. ft. of Damplifier Pro, 36 sq. ft. of Overkill Pro, 6 full sheets of Luxury Liner, and a gallon of spectrum-

-2 Powermaster D680 Powercells in back

FINALLY !!! I GOT IT METERED ON THE TERMLAB !!! I did a 140.2 at 42 hertz.

Shoehorn, BFH, forklift,duct tape and some zip ties

• 4 weeks later...

ok i have one last question. i read on another forum that you fuse your wire based on your alt to prevent overcharge on the battery. on this thread it says based on the wire. so what should i go with, a 300 amp fuse cause i have 0 gauge, or 200 amp fuse cause my alt is 170 amps( i already have the 200 amp fuse)?

Archived