does this mean i need a new alt?

well i was cleaning my throttle body and what knot and shut the hood, went inside for a while, went outside and off to get some chinese food,

well i was bumping and what knot and i checked my volt meter and it said 12.2v so i was like "ok the meter was acting up befor so its not reading right"

when i got home i pulled out my fieldpiece true rms volt meter and checked it with that and it said with car off 12.5v, with car on 12.8v and no accessories running

does this mean my alt is gone?

here's a link to my system 99 toyota tacoma , 2 mtx 8000 1504's in a sealed downfire , 1000w memphis amp

here's a link to my other system my 90 geo prizm test car

heres a thread i got of new songs u can dl that are legal = Some Good Bangage/you Can Dl These Free And Legit

redblob.gifbouncing%20blob.gif2yooj7m.pngmodel14.gif

the battery pos terminal has a little corrosion on it but i cleaned it off, but where my big three is fused at i got the same readings there also if that helps

big 3 in 0guage and 2 batteries

here's a link to my system 99 toyota tacoma , 2 mtx 8000 1504's in a sealed downfire , 1000w memphis amp

heres a thread i got of new songs u can dl that are legal = Some Good Bangage/you Can Dl These Free And Legit

check and see if your terminal is cracked, i would also check your grounds

JEEP BUILD PROJECT ANTIBLING.2000 jeep Cherokee.HEADUNITAlpine Cda-9886SUBSTAGE1 acendent 18" audio mayhem motor with a TI basket and tantric parts1 prototype DAT hellfire 1000.1HIGHSStockELECTRICALdb link 0 gaugeKnuconceptz Kolossus 4 gauge1 xs power d3400 under hoodBig 3 upgradeold fourwheeler build

The only way to delete your SMD account is for you crawl to steve meades door step on your knees and pleade for his forgiveness and acceptance to be released...He will either grant your wishes.....or choke you with a large piece of 0 gauge and electrocute you by hooking up a solid gold DC 12k at 0.000001 ohm and 10000 volts to your eye sockets and blow your head apart

You guys act like you have never clogged a toilet and ran around the bathroom frantically hoping it don't overflow.

Pretty much. Unless its something odd. Take one measurement with the meter on the battery posts, and another measurement with the meter on the battery terminals. If they are the same then its a good chance its the alt.

Has the car ever died while driving it?

i resolve to be a nicer moderator.

Tercel build R.I.P.

Eclipse build Old New

V-Dub

My feedback.

voltage was same on posts and terminals

grounds is good and terminals not cracked, just eat the chrome off of it, all i see now is a little copper, put some wd40 on it tho, keeps down the acid build up

car never died, just made a wierd whining noise, and even if i beat on my system my lights didn't dim, and it acually runs better

im gunna go check belt tention here in a min and see if its slipping or not

and i dought its due to cold, its only like high 30's low 40s here, on the way home from work voltage never went below 13.4 full tilt, but now with radio on and volume all the way down and headlights on (hids) voltage goes to 11.6 11.4v while car running, doesn't sound normal to me

oh, i thought it might be a voltage regulator but i dunno where it is, my truck didn't come with a manual lol

doesn't a place like auto zone have a alt thing that can test it while still in the car?

truck is a 99 tacoma 3.4l v6, alt is a stock 70amp

1.get a multimeter

2. check voltage coming off alternator post directly

have already done this sir :) i dunno what else to check, im going back outside n piddle with stuff to see if maby it came unpluged or something, i checked terminal, and at fuse block where 0guage goes to from alt and same reading, when i reved it i could get it to go to 13.1 13.2v and when i let off of it it would go back down to 12.6 or so,

should i try n charge the batteries?

i checked water level in front battery and its good, its a duralast gold 950cca, and rear is a c&d from ram i think its a 24ah battery

1.get a multimeter

2. check voltage coming off alternator post directly

X2 and that new should have a regulator built in to the alt. If you don't get 14 at the alt directly the alternator is gone.

Have all acc off when you check it running.

Edit: :ph34r: Nina'd well you if you only get 13 with nothing on it is the alternator soon you will not get anything. And yes autozone can check it for you. Your batteries are fine

Edited by 14dbass

Suburban Build Log

"So much money and time spent making copper winding move up and down a magnetic pole"

DC Audio Eclipse

everything off and still doesn't go above 12v, but it cranks normal? prolly cause i got 2 batteries

i'll go check now n see if anything has changed