Sonic Electronix

Everything wired correctly and tuned with dd-1, but just started getting voice coil smell

I have two l515 kicker solobarics dual 2 ohm and they are wired to 2 ohms on a kicker zx1500.1 amp. Everything is wired correctly and the gains are set with the dd-1. So everything is exactly how it should be. I re wired my subs with some nicer 10awg speaker wire yesterday and hooked it all back up and once I started playing it loud for a while my subs got the bunt voice coil smell, I double checked to make sure it is all wired the right way and it is. The gain is still set where it has been, but I'm still getting the smell, it didn't start till after I re wired the subs so I'm thinking the wiring may be the cause. Im not sure. Help me out!

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

try checking the output of your amp with the dd-1 again with the subs still hooked up.

I never did get why they say to unhook your subs to test it, your subs load the amp, the amp draws power, the voltage drops, then the clip ceiling falls and boom.

what was once clean with no load is now clipped to shit.

I used to -10 db track I'm pretty sure, its the compromise of the sq and spl. everything is wired right I just checked for the third time. Checking it with the dd-1 while the subs are connected won't damage the subs at all? And yes the subs are brand new, I just got them 2 weeks ago and they worked fine until I switched to kicker 10awg. But I know or a fact it's not the wiring.

I had L7s and they stunk no matter what they never got hot but they stunk from when I got them and sold them.

2003 GMC Yukon Denali

Alpine CDA 117

Redoing Mids/Highs

4 Runs of 1/0 Knukonceptz 2+, 2-

4 Deka 9A31's in back (Stock underhood) 250 amp Alt.

AQ20K

2 18" Crossfire XS V.2's 12 cubes 33hz 149sq inches of port!

This happens to my bros subwoofers to, running a aq2200d with 4 sa-15s d2 wired at 1 ohm and tuned with the dd-1, they are brand new and he got them started to smell for a short time and turned it down.

Jeep Cherokee 4dr -4.75 in front, new rusty's 4.5 in rear leafs -micky thompson 35x14.50x15 -locker rear -Rusty's offroad Engine/transmission/transfer case/crossmember/gas tank skid plates -Warn front bumper with 8000lb winch -Custom rear bumper -Warrior product tube doors (summertime) -Optima redtop (starter) -26XK miles and still runs like a bat out of hell

Kenwood H/U

1/0 wire,

136 amp alt 200 ah batteries 12.7 daily

2 Apsm 1500 @ 2 ohm strapped on zv3 d1 with ns softparts

Mb quart 125.4 wired to 4 aura 6's

3.6 cube box tuned to 36 plays down to 23hz

Try using the -5 or the -0 track. You might just be playing a song with a bass line that is louder than -10db and it's clipping