Batteries dont produce power they store it.

The cold actually slows the molecules and can possibly extend the length of time that your phone battery stores energy.

The cause was most likely either because you had wifi or bluetooth on, possibly both, (the further you are from one of those sources the harder your phone works to find a signal, just like it does with reception) had apps running in the background, or any combination of the above.

The electric current generated by a battery is produced when a connection is made between its positive and negative terminals. When the terminals are connected, a chemical reaction is initiated that generates electrons to supply the current of the battery. Lowering the temperature causes chemical reactions to proceed more slowly, so if a battery is used at a low temperature then less current is produced than at a higher temperature. As the batteries run down they quickly reach the point where they cannot deliver enough current to keep up with the demand. If the battery is warmed up again it will operate normally.

One solution to this problem is to make certain batteries are warm just prior to use. Preheating batteries is not unusual for certain situations. If the battery is already warm and insulated, it may make sense to use the battery's own power to operate a heating coil. It is reasonable to have batteries warm for use, but the discharge curve for most batteries is more dependent on battery design and chemistry than on temperature. This means that if the current drawn by the equipment is low in relation to the power rating of the cell, then the effect of temperature may be negligible.

On the other hand, when a battery is not in use, it will slowly lose its charge as a result of leakage between the terminals. This chemical reaction is also temperature dependent, so unused batteries will lose their charge more slowly at cooler temperatures than at warmer temperatures. For example, certain rechargeable batteries may go flat in approximately two weeks at normal room temperature, but may last more than twice as long if refrigerated.

I am assuming you are trying to reinforce what I said?

I said the cold can possibly extend the length of time that a battery stores energy. Of course there's a ton of variables and limits. He said he wasn't using his phone, that's why I said that.

If you are trying to prove me wrong or make a point about batteries generating power, go play your system with your engine off and tell me how long your batteries last on their own, then I will be all ears as to how they actually made power.

• Replies 19.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am assuming you are trying to reinforce what I said?

I said the cold can possibly extend the length of time that a battery stores energy. Of course there's a ton of variables and limits. He said he wasn't using his phone, that's why I said that.

If you are trying to prove me wrong or make a point about batteries generating power, go play your system with your engine off and tell me how long your batteries last on their own, then I will be all ears as to how they actually made power.

They make electrical power through a chemical reaction that converts chemical energy into electrical energy.

http://www.qrg.northwestern.edu/projects/vss/docs/power/2-how-do-batteries-work.html

http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/everyday-tech/battery.htm

http://www.explainthatstuff.com/batteries.html

The electric current generated by a battery is produced when a connection is made between its positive and negative terminals. When the terminals are connected, a chemical reaction is initiated that generates electrons to supply the current of the battery. Lowering the temperature causes chemical reactions to proceed more slowly, so if a battery is used at a low temperature then less current is produced than at a higher temperature. As the batteries run down they quickly reach the point where they cannot deliver enough current to keep up with the demand. (This is more likely the cause off his phone dying quicker then normal not the wifi or bluetooth like you mention.) If the battery is warmed up again it will operate normally.

One solution to this problem is to make certain batteries are warm just prior to use. Preheating batteries is not unusual for certain situations. If the battery is already warm and insulated, it may make sense to use the battery's own power to operate a heating coil. It is reasonable to have batteries warm for use, but the discharge curve for most batteries is more dependent on battery design and chemistry than on temperature. This means that if the current drawn by the equipment is low in relation to the power rating of the cell, then the effect of temperature may be negligible.

On the other hand, when a battery is not in use, it will slowly lose its charge as a result of leakage between the terminals. This chemical reaction is also temperature dependent, so unused batteries will lose their charge more slowly at cooler temperatures than at warmer temperatures. For example, certain rechargeable batteries may go flat in approximately two weeks at normal room temperature, but may last more than twice as long if refrigerated.

I don't put images in my signature to let people know I mean business.

Nothing actually makes energy only converts it from one form to another.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

Car show I've been looking forward to for a month is on Sunday. Check the weather forecast; 100% chance of rain ALL FREAKING DAY!!! And, it's the last soundoff/car show for the year. FML.

2015 Toyota Tacoma Build Thread

2007 Mazda 3; 5000K HID's, Kenwood Excelon KDC-X997, Infinity Reference 6.5 comps in front and coaxials in the rear doors, JL 320.4 four channel, Rab Designs built ported enclosure with an SA12, Kenwood monoblock, Redline Leater shift boot/e-brake boot/center console cover, JBR short shifter/shifter bushings/rear motor mount.

Build Thread

1996 Mazda Miata: Kenwood Excelon HU, Alpine speaker in the doors, Clearwater (miata specific) headrest speakers. 

1994 Mazda Protege: Kenwood Excelon HU, Infinity Reference 2 ways all around, 2x RF Punch 10's in ported boxes. 

Little kids that like to charge back on PayPal. I do a lot of freelance programming (mostly shit for kids like MineCraft mods and game hacks). Was -$5XX a few days ago. Now I am at $-7X. Nearly done with these kids.

All scammers and thieves should be hung. The internet gives people this impression they can do whatever they want and hide behind their keyboard.

2015 Toyota Tacoma Build Thread

2007 Mazda 3; 5000K HID's, Kenwood Excelon KDC-X997, Infinity Reference 6.5 comps in front and coaxials in the rear doors, JL 320.4 four channel, Rab Designs built ported enclosure with an SA12, Kenwood monoblock, Redline Leater shift boot/e-brake boot/center console cover, JBR short shifter/shifter bushings/rear motor mount.

Build Thread

1996 Mazda Miata: Kenwood Excelon HU, Alpine speaker in the doors, Clearwater (miata specific) headrest speakers. 

1994 Mazda Protege: Kenwood Excelon HU, Infinity Reference 2 ways all around, 2x RF Punch 10's in ported boxes. 

Little kids that like to charge back on PayPal. I do a lot of freelance programming (mostly shit for kids like MineCraft mods and game hacks). Was -$5XX a few days ago. Now I am at $-7X. Nearly done with these kids.

All scammers and thieves should be hung. The internet gives people this impression they can do whatever they want and hide behind their keyboard.

Back when i was younger i had a guy scam me out of $250 so i shit in a bag put it in a box and shipped it lol. I guess he forgot paypal gives that info.

Archived