Sundown Audio

Amp tuning by ear...

michael_woodworth2000

I don't get why people discuss on things they know nothing about.

Like the guy that said, "we hear 1% of distortion, if you add things to the system the thd increases."

But what he doesn't knows is that you need ot use the DD-1 on every component and at the end of the chain you will get 1% of distortion.

I can understand that people don't see the need to not use it because they can make it sound good if they use their ears because SQ judges use their ears.

But still, what's easier, just connect the DD-1 and tune it in a minute or 3-5. Instead of tuning it by ear and not hearing well on that day and set up things wrong.

Thinking is the root of all problems...

You ALWAYS get what you pay for.

jay i litterally i hear you on that. i have been told my ear is quite good more then one time. but there is an issue like kiril007 said you implied also. "tuning it by ear and not hearing well on that day and set up things wrong." an oscope or dd-1 never gets a sinus infection that effects its hearing ability. but hey these kids make decks fly out of dashes. i have never seen one of your legendary box designs do that! LOL so what do all of us that do things right know?

NEUMAN

jay i litterally i hear you on that. i have been told my ear is quite good more then one time. but there is an issue like kiril007 said you implied also. "tuning it by ear and not hearing well on that day and set up things wrong." an oscope or dd-1 never gets a sinus infection that effects its hearing ability. but hey these kids make decks fly out of dashes. i have never seen one of your legendary box designs do that! LOL so what do all of us that do things right know?

NEUMAN

This guy knows his stuff! He o-scoped my system :) made it soooooo much louder!

2007 M/T Honda Civic Coupe EX

(4) Sundown Audio X-8's

(2) Ampere Audio 3800.1's

(3) Stinger SPV-44 Batteries

(1) Mechman 240

3:1 Ratio 4th order sealed from the trunk

TEAM NWSPL

Best termlab scores to date in Honda trunk:
151.7db legal (official) IASCA trunk 3 class

Best termlab scores to date in my walled Subie:
152.9db legal (unofficial) IASCA advanced 2 class
155db outlaw

There are people out there with very very good hearing, but there's no way to set an amp 100% correctly without an o-scope. DD-1 does great too.

Someone claiming they are loud because their dash is a floppy peice of junk is just trolling.

MickyMcD - "Capable of making some serious trouser flapping volumes at where's-my-testicles frequencies, the Servo-Drives used to be fairly jaw dropping..."

Any time you have have a power wire next to your frame put some rubber hosing (or cut up an innertube) around it. The wire is bound to wiggle (due to driving or flex) and the casing will eventually wear through.

Hammerdown... 1%

no links to outside websites, business related FB/YT pages allowed.

LMFAO, i got more comments on this than i thought i would, i mean i knew i was right and knew what i was talking about, but DAMN. Thanx everyone for backing me up and telling these guys whats up. I appreciate it. Also thanx to Steve Meade himself for taking time to read this thread and post on it as well, it means a lot to me for you to do that, thanx again.

Pioneer AVIC F900BT double din

Stinger digital volt meter on dash

1/0 guage power wire positive and negative

Interstate 117ah battery in the back

2 runs 4 guage power wire from rear battery to amp

Power Acoustics Stax 5500

4 Powerbass m-15's(old style)

2 sets o2 5.25 inch components in front

2 Sony 5x7 in back

Sony 500 watt 4 channel

Archived