Second Skin Audio

Two subs quieter than one?

low pass set too low or subsonic set to high?

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/79921-rogers-700-dream-car-update-page-17-a-wall/?p=2335774

93 Saturn SC2My system4 SA-15's Walled

2 Cerwin-Vega S2000's

3 Kinetik Hc2000's

Dual 200amp alts.

you guys done with the peepee touching contest or do I need to end it?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wicks,

I think the unit will do 2v if I max out the volume, with Loud on and everything maxed.

Rogers,

I don't think so, I got the subsonic set to about 25 and low pass around 120 or 12 o'clock. But I also got the low pass turned on at the HU and it is set to 80hz.

Kranny,

You are right it does have a setting for the sub. But I thought that was like an EQ boost or something.

Lastly I spoke with Sonix (where I got the amp from). They said I need to upgrade my car battery and the Alternator to get full power. Does that sound right? Everything is stock right now. Since the Hifonics needs lot of juice I guess that could be my problem. Having said that I had the stereo running at moderate level and the car on idle, I don't see headlight dimming or voltage drop when the bass note hit, I tested the voltage at the battery.

THANKS!

Edited by f155mph

Assuming that he HU is OK.

Dis-connect your subs from the amp.

Connect DMM (VAC) to the amp outputs where your subs were.

Set amp gain to minimum (9V).

Play a test tone and set the HU volume to ~3/4.

Slowly raise the amp gain up and you should see the speaker output voltage rise.

With no load on the amp, you should be able to see full rail voltage from the amp which should be in the realm of 48V as you previously stated since its a 2400W amp. If you are still stuck at 18V then either the amp's power supply isn't working and giving you full rail voltage or your HU isn't driving the amp as it should.

Since you have a DMM and you're testing this, test the output from the HU to verify.

That should tell you who's at fault without needing your electrical system upgraded.

Edited by Wicks

This post sent with 100% recycled electrons.
2004 BMW M3
Mechman 280A
2 - XS Power XP3000

1 - XS Power D375

500F of Maxwell SuperCaps (soon to be 1000F)
iPadMini2

Dash mounted O-scope
Audison bitOne (Remote DRC MP)
Highs Amp - PPI Art A404
Hertz HSK130 (HSK165 waiting...)
DC Audio DC9.0K
2- DC Audio XL12m2

LEGAL             - 147.3dB @ 41Hz
OUTLAW         - 150.2dB @ 45Hz

OUTLAW         - 145.7dB @ 30Hz
JUNE 2014 SOTM WINNER

2014 COLORADO PEOPLE'S CHOICE WINNER

SOTM BUILD:
http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/141656-wicks-e46-m3-build-bass-turbo-button-and-a-big-new-addition/page-68#entry2802026

sig-sized6_zps0265e669.png

Wicks,

I think the unit will do 2v if I max out the volume, with Loud on and everything maxed.

Rogers,

I don't think so, I got the subsonic set to about 25 and low pass around 120 or 12 o'clock. But I also got the low pass turned on at the HU and it is set to 80hz.

Kranny,

You are right it does have a setting for the sub. But I thought that was like an EQ boost or something.

Lastly I spoke with Sonix (where I got the amp from). They said I need to upgrade my car battery and the Alternator to get full power. Does that sound right? Everything is stock right now. Since the Hifonics needs lot of juice I guess that could be my problem. Having said that I had the stereo running at moderate level and the car on idle, I don't see headlight dimming or voltage drop when the bass note hit, I tested the voltage at the battery.

THANKS!

nope, it just allows the sub preout to output the rated voltage (which is 2.5v i think). turn it up to +15 and you SHOULD be good.

do NOT use loud or max out the volume or max out the eq. i forget when it clipped but i think it was clean around 40 out of 52, anything higher than like 43-44 it would start to clip, using the USB port.

edit: that was with the eq flat, mind you, which the bass should stay on 0 at all times

Edited by Kranny