Reminder: Alts are not perfect. Charge up your bats!

I've been meaning to make a topic like this for awhile now stressing the importance of keeping your batteries topped off. Everybody can benefit from this from the kid with a 200w amp and 10" woofer to Steve Meade himself who (during the initial MLA debut) said that he tries to charge up his bank once a week with an external XS charger.

Small manual or intelligent battery chargers can be found for $20-$30 online or at your local autoparts stores and it is as simple as plug it in and turn it on!

Even with an upgraded alternator your battery will rarely actually see "topped off" because you will always have a radio, sub amp, or the cars normal operating electronics straining your alternator stopping it from giving the needed juice to the battery. This is especially important for those of you with small alts and more batteries such as Hondas/cars with stock alt and an extra one or two batteries under the hood.

I have mine mounted with the ring terminals (that come with the charger) directly onto the battery terminals and have my plug easily accessible in the front of the car

IMG_20120228_131827.jpg

When I actually have amps in the car I try and have it on the charger whenever it is parked at home. I have refurb redtops with several years use that still float at 13.2 with the car off overnight because of this practice.

Do yourself, your alt, your batteries, and above all your amps a favor by topping off your battery(s) it makes a huge difference when you are constantly beating up equipment.

Thanks for looking

-Drew

detail.gifI am a United States Military Arts and Crafts Professional. Sand it off, Paint it on. detail.gif

uhoh_45 said:
dont be a pussy P give the jeep to drew

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Something as regular as once a week on the weekend is a good practice. Like I said, when I have a full load on my charging system while driving I try and keep it plugged in every time the car is parked at home. PLUS, when I got into the car the next morning and turned my shit up it was noticeably louder :shok:

-Drew

detail.gifI am a United States Military Arts and Crafts Professional. Sand it off, Paint it on. detail.gif

uhoh_45 said:

What charger do you use? I planned on doing this when I move into the house here soon, but can't seem to find a nice reliable trickle charger that will run on it overnight. Figured I would just use my diehard gold charger and pop the hood til I found one of the small ones with the ring terminal connectors that I can perma-mount under the hood.

What charger do you use? I planned on doing this when I move into the house here soon, but can't seem to find a nice reliable trickle charger that will run on it overnight. Figured I would just use my diehard gold charger and pop the hood til I found one of the small ones with the ring terminal connectors that I can perma-mount under the hood.

Its been years I can't remember exactly where I got it but I do know it was at the local autozone/advance/pepboys/checker/kragen/napa/etc. I just found a Manual (so it would charge all night instead of turning off at a predetermined point) and it is 6v/12v 2A fits right under the hood.

-Drew

uhoh_45 said:

Archived