DC Sound Lab

Level 5 sub clanking noise... recone time? Vid included

Hey SMD!

awhile back i posted a thread about coil rub on one of my level 5s.

i purchased a reconethrough Cj. but never reconed the sub.

i just kept playing on it with the SD8k, then on the k12.

i first started noticing this "clanking" sound a couple weeks back when i was demoing a couiple people at a local shop.

before i left, i played a song, My shit bang- e-40, i totally forgot that there is a very low note in the song, i broke a dustcap on one sub, and blew off the other.

the note was extremely low.

after the most recent show i attened, i gave a couple demos, but by the time i was to be metered, the "clanking" noise became louder and output seemed to be less.

now its really bad.

recone time?

heres a vid to help describe the noise.

and heres some pic:

IMAG1146.jpg

IMAG1147.jpg

IMAG1148.jpg

IMAG1149.jpg

IMAG1150.jpg

IMAG1151.jpg

IMAG1152.jpg

IMAG1153.jpg

IMAG1154.jpg

IMAG1155.jpg

Edited by BFF Larry

Team Clearly Louder (MECA)Team DC Audio

++* SELLING the CACTUS SOUNDS K12 for $1550 shipped *++

HMU!!!

3 flips. nollie flips. big flips. hardflips. - steez

Youtube Channel My Build Log

95 Bonneville SSE

- WALLED/4th Order - ~30 cubes -

*thanks LoganBerry, CortezDVT, Cj18, SuperCharged DC, Ryan-RAM Designs,LoudNLow931*

Time for a recone bro.. Looks like the former has a couple spots on it where its bubbled out a little and is rubbing the pole. Must have got your sub crazy hot.

Team S.S.C.

DB Drag Street A 2011 National Champ

DC Audio Dealer

Nor Cal AA Dealer

Incriminator Audio Dealer

CA Sundown Audio Dealer

[email protected]

Banner_468x60.jpg

Your coil became a slinky now, because of all the coil rub, it rubbed itself apart. I would recone it.

Btw its blaze from the show.

Jeep Cherokee 4dr -4.75 in front, new rusty's 4.5 in rear leafs -micky thompson 35x14.50x15 -locker rear -Rusty's offroad Engine/transmission/transfer case/crossmember/gas tank skid plates -Warn front bumper with 8000lb winch -Custom rear bumper -Warrior product tube doors (summertime) -Optima redtop (starter) -26XK miles and still runs like a bat out of hell

Kenwood H/U

1/0 wire,

136 amp alt 200 ah batteries 12.7 daily

2 Apsm 1500 @ 2 ohm strapped on zv3 d1 with ns softparts

Mb quart 125.4 wired to 4 aura 6's

3.6 cube box tuned to 36 plays down to 23hz

uh oh, thats not good. if it is what i think it is , triple joint failure. this is what it will look like

IMAG0372-1.jpg

IMAG0374-1.jpg

IMAG0373-1.jpg

the cone ripped apart from the spider and VC joint. so i took the cone off and the spider was still in place. Which, of course, require you to recone. just got the parts at my local dealer and gonna pick it up tomorrow. and yes that is a level 5 15.

edit: or the coil as everyone says. try pushing the sub and see if you can push it, if you cant, then yea, you are fucked. if you can, MIGHT BUT MIGHT have a fix it yourself.....but doubt it.

Edited by carlosg_313

How do the Japanese feel about bass?

You know that since 03/11/11

Progene? I just saw that stuff on CNN. They said it makes your junk shrink all up. lol.

im pretty sure the op wont even notice if it gets even smaller.

Refs - Pstone11, porksoda, coleman

uh oh, thats not good. if it is what i think it is , triple joint failure. this is what it will look like

IMAG0372-1.jpg

IMAG0374-1.jpg

IMAG0373-1.jpg

the cone ripped apart from the spider and VC joint. so i took the cone off and the spider was still in place. Which, of course, require you to recone. just got the parts at my local dealer and gonna pick it up tomorrow. and yes that is a level 5 15.

edit: or the coil as everyone says. try pushing the sub and see if you can push it, if you cant, then yea, you are fucked. if so, MIGHT BUT MIGHT have a fix it yourself.....but doubt it.

Its not a matter of seeing if he needs a recone. The coil is obviously rubbing the pole and that is the noise he is hearing. Problem found and now time to recone it :)

Team S.S.C.

DC Audio Dealer

Nor Cal AA Dealer

CA Sundown Audio Dealer

[email protected]

Banner_468x60.jpg

IMAG0372-1.jpg

IMAG0374-1.jpg

IMAG0373-1.jpg

edit: or the coil as everyone says. try pushing the sub and see if you can push it, if you cant, then yea, you are fucked. if you can, MIGHT BUT MIGHT have a fix it yourself.....but doubt it.

I was just looking at your pics.. After you recone your sub check your amp settings as well as see if you have a major loading problem.. You will probably be back for another recone if you dont work on your install. In your pics u can see you tore the leads from the points where they sewn on from over excursion as well as the apparent issue of seperating the cone from the neck.. Doesn't really seem to be a tripple joint failure.. More of a load issue that caused all that damage from your install.

Team S.S.C.

DC Audio Dealer

Nor Cal AA Dealer

CA Sundown Audio Dealer

[email protected]

Banner_468x60.jpg

You check your ohm load at the amp? If the coil slinkyed it should be different than what it used to be.

I dont think the OP ever said it slinkeyed, it was mentioned by another member.. From the vid you can see where the former bubbled from getting to hot.. The former hitting the pole will cause the sounds he is hearing. Time to recone it.

Team S.S.C.

DC Audio Dealer

Nor Cal AA Dealer

CA Sundown Audio Dealer

[email protected]

Banner_468x60.jpg

I watched the vid again.. OP.. It looks like in some parts the cone looks seperated from the neck.. Doesn't seem to be alot of movement unless your camera just isnt picking it up well.

Team S.S.C.

DC Audio Dealer

Nor Cal AA Dealer

CA Sundown Audio Dealer

[email protected]

Banner_468x60.jpg

With that much power make sure you get the triple joint reinforced with some resin. Derrick had that problem in the teg before rusty sent us the new recones with the resin and no more problems.

www.dcsoundlab.comDCforum.jpgyoutube video's kbsmoker2011 MECAOH AS3 Champ 147.5OH DB2 Champ 125.9WF AS3 3rd 147.3WF DB3 2nd 128.3

SystemPioneer AVH-P4300DVD2 sets Fusion Encounter 6.5 componentson Crunch Ground Pounder 1200.418" DC NEO

on DC 5.0KKnukonceptz 1/0 through outBig 3 all 1/0XS D6500under hood D3100 in the backMechman 270....rebuilt by Ohio Generator :)