Sundown Audio

bxi2006d finally done

S12X

i fried my bxi2006d the other day running at .5 ohms....what usually goes when you run a sub at a lower impedance then intended?? is there a specific part i should check because i cant see the bottom of the board because i cant figure out how to get it apart

new setup in the works

When your pulling that kind of current through an amplifier stage during the time of lockup, it generally spells catastrophic failure of the circuit.

How long it was allowed to run in that condition before the protection shut it down or some type of fuseing inline did it's job would usually dictate just how much of the amplifier is cooked. Every part inline with the bad one has it's own breakdown rateings, etc. And FYI the typical fuse needs to exceed it's rated current by 50% for 5 seconds before it pops.

There is no easy answer for this question, the outcome depends on too many factors. The design topology alone could be the difference between a couple bad parts, and *many* bad parts. The fact that you can't get it apart doesn't do anything for your chances of trying to fix it yourself either.

Any chance it's under warranty? Have you considered a 3rd party repair service? there are several to chose from.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation, and by no means am trying to discourage you. But you should also ask yourself 'Am I comfortable attempting this myself?' because any extra error or damage caused on your part would result in a higher repair bill should you need to send it out later.

Just some things to consider before you continue. Please take my advice into consideration, and you have my best wishes either route you chose.

Good luck.

- Matt

SMDsigbannr4.jpg FTW?

Anywhere from $100-$150 is what you can expect from most places to repair it.

We for example, base everything on a flat rate as a general 'ceiling' to cover ourselves in the event that it's really bad (on the larger amps it usually is). But if it gets here and has a cracked solder joint for example, we would adjust the bill to reflect an hourly rate/parts.

Not sure if you can expect that behaviour from other shops as they may depend on the 'easy fixes' to make money back lost on the basket cases. Which is smart, but not very fair. Nobody is getting rich in this business and thats for sure. Depending on operating costs, etc some may offer this, some may not.

Then you can expect shipping both ways. And warranty on the repair would depend on how it came in in the first place. A lot of places offer 'no questions asked' warranty and hope it doesn't come back. Others will void you if they smell abuse. I don't blame them.

So what you generally want to expect after all things considered is $200.00 or < to get it back round trip and repaired. Don't hold your breath on the warranty if it comes in with every FET in the PS blown because they will just know you beat the piss out of it and will not cater to your wishes for a 'freebie' on thier dime.

Furthermore if it comes in molested (Ie. you managed to lift some tracework attempting it yourself) You can expect them to incour extra fees. Which is why I warned you.

Now is the part where you ask yourself if you want to give it another go, or spend the extra coin to get something new.

The other side of the coin is what to do with the blown amp if you decide to ditch it. By all means don't throw it away. A class D monoblock on ebay listed as outright blown up can get around $100.00 and your not lying to anyone.

Anyways, I work late tonight so I'm bored and trolling, and probably talking too much!

:D

- Matt

SMDsigbannr4.jpg FTW?

guess i should stay at 1ohm huh. everybody said that thing can handle .5ohms daily guess not :-

Subs- 2AA Arsenal 15sAmps- Orion2500d/MemphisDoors- Infinity kapa/AA polymids(soon)Deck- Pioneer PrimerBox- 3.5 per chamber!!!!!!!!/28hzElectrical- two optima red tops/160alt(big 3 soon)OHIO BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i have a hifonics brutus 1500d and it's 1 ohm but i ain't chancing what everyone else says.

2-DC 15XLM2 D.7s

1-DC 5K amp

(1) XS Power D6500(UNDERHOOD) and (1) XS3000(REAR)

3 runs 1/0ga for power and 2 runs of 1/0ga for negative.

(2)-RFT165s components, ...... 4 separate 1 inch tweetersRF T600-2(fronts) Punch 450.4(rear)

Audiocontrol 3.1.

DC power 260amp alternator w/MLA Module

Archived