I want some engine ideas. I have a 2004 GMC Sierra 1500 4.3L V6, I was wondering what would be a good replacement/upgradeable engine to install into my vehicle. I've had 2 ideas of install a 383 with a mild cam, or grab a 2004 chevy silverado ss engine and swap it in. Ideas anyone?

• 1 month later...

i would try to stick with the motor you currently have. upgrading an engine takes a lot more work than just pulling the old motor out and putting the new motor in. upgrading the engine that much will require the motor, transmission, rear end, PCM, BCM, a fuck ton of wiring, and if everything goes smoothly roughly 75 hours of work if you are lucky, if something messes up you are looking at one hell of a headache, and a fuck ton more time to figure out what went wrong. you would spend way more money than the vehicle is, or would ever be valued at. you are better off selling the vehicle and buying something with more power from the factory. also if you were to modify the vehicle like that and you were to get into a wreck you would instantly be at fault, due to heavy modifications to the vehicle. in most states you would have to have the vehicle inspected by the dmv to see if the vehicle would even be allowed on the road, and if it was your property tax would probably go up, and your insurance would skyrocket. the VIN wouldn't be correct as far as engine and transmission goes, which would make it near impossible to trade in, and anybody wanting to buy the vehicle, who knows a thing or two, would probably know that something isn't right about the car. just to put it nicely i wouldn't do it if i were you, i would sell it and buy something else.

ill break it down for you here cost wise:

383 crate motor: $3,395.00

turbo 350 transmission: $1,099.99

Chevy 4.10 rear end: $1,100.00

PCM: roughly $1,000.00

BCM: roughly $1,000.00

engine wire harness: around $500.00

Beer:$100.00-$150.00 (depending on how much you drink)

already up to over $8,100.00, and that's assuming you have the tools and you can do it yourself. you could buy a better vehicle with that. hell i just sold my camaro with a 383 stroker in it to some guy for $6,500.00. look around and really think it over before you go ripping the engine bay apart. if you decide to do the swap, post some pictures along the way, im sure the guys and gals here would love to see it.

edit for spelling and math errors

Edited by crispy_chick3n

This page is crispy_chick3n approved.

© crispy_chick3n inc