Second Skin Audio

Enclosure for single Sa-12

I was wondering if there was anyone located in the GTA in Ontario who would be willing to help design and build a box for me? I have no access to power tools and even if I did, I would have no idea how to use them. As of right now I have a single Sundown Sa-12 in a crappy prefab box and it makes me sad...

I could get the trunk dimensions tomorrow for whoever, if anyone, would be willing to help out a highschool student just getting into car audio.

Thanks a lot

Alpine CDA-1171 Sundown Audio SA-12Alpine MRP-M500Infinity Reference Speakers

Bose Tweeters

I was wondering if there was anyone located in the GTA in Ontario who would be willing to help design and build a box for me? I have no access to power tools and even if I did, I would have no idea how to use them. As of right now I have a single Sundown Sa-12 in a crappy prefab box and it makes me sad...

I could get the trunk dimensions tomorrow for whoever, if anyone, would be willing to help out a highschool student just getting into car audio.

Thanks a lot

Here is a suggestion on rated power:

Enclosure Specifications:

Fb = 33 Hz

Vb = 2 ft^3

Subwoofer Mounting = Front Mounted

External Height = 16 in

External Width = 29.75 in

External Depth = 14 in

Port Width = 2 1/4 in

Cut List:

* All Dimensions in Inches.

* Wood Thickness is 3/4 for all Parts.

External Enclosure Parts:

Front = 26 3/4 x 14 1/2

Back = 29 3/4 x 14 1/2

Left & Right Sides:

Side 1 = 12 1/2 x 14 1/2

Side 2 = 13 1/4 x 14 1/2

Top & Bottom = 29 3/4 x 14

L Port Internal Assembly Parts:

Front to Back = 10 1/4 x 14 1/2

Extension = 20 1/2 x 14 1/2

sa12pic_zpsfc97fc39.jpg

Bear in mind that the suggestion is meant to fit most applications but if you are looking for a particular tuning frequency or you intend to drive the sub over rated power then some adjustments need to be made.

Let me know any questions.

How much power do you plan on running?

Send me a PM and I'll take care of you.

• 1 year later...

Thanks a lot

If you vehicle has a trunk most likely this will work:

Enclosure Specifications:

Fb = 33.062 Hz

Vb = 1.992 ft^3

Subwoofer Mounting = Front Mounted

External Height = 16 in

External Width = 29.75 in

External Depth = 14 in

Port Width = 2 1/4 in

Cut List:

* All Dimensions in Inches.

* Wood Thickness is 3/4 for all Parts.

External Enclosure Parts:

Front = 26 3/4 x 14 1/2

Back = 29 3/4 x 14 1/2

Left & Right Sides:

Side 1 = 12 1/2 x 14 1/2

Side 2 = 13 1/4 x 14 1/2

Top & Bottom = 29 3/4 x 14

L Port Internal Assembly Parts:

Front to Back = 10 1/4 x 14 1/2

Extension = 20 1/2 x 14 1/2

SD-DB.jpg

Bear in mind that the suggestion is meant to fit most applications but if you are looking for a particular tuning frequency or you intend to drive the sub over rated power then some adjustments need to be made.

Let me know any questions.

Hi Joe X, I just ordered myself a Sundown SA-12 today. I didn't feel the need to start a new thread based of this one so I thought I'd just use this one. Anyways, I'd like to start building a box for it before it gets here. Your suggestion here seems pretty good, but I'm wondering if you could help make some adjustments to suit my needs as well.

The sub is going into the trunk of a 2005 Mitsubishi Lancer running off of an Alpine PDX M-12 (about 1200rms). The dimensions I have to fit this box is 17" Height, 35" Width, 17" Deep which will of course fit this suggested box, so no problems so far with that at least. I'd like to tune the box at around 33-34 Hz and go for a good mix between SQ and SPL but leaning a bit more towards SQ as I don't crank the volume all the time.

If you could help me out it would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers

The box above fit within your max dims and tuning so I wouldn't know what to change, anyways the SA-12 is designed to get loud, the only way it will approach a flat response and low group delay is in a sealed box.

The box above fit within your max dims and tuning so I wouldn't know what to change, anyways the SA-12 is designed to get loud, the only way it will approach a flat response and low group delay is in a sealed box.

Ok that's perfect. Is there going to be any noticeable difference in placement of the woofer? Let's say if I were to put it in the center of the box or right beside the port? It's just going to be for more for visual purposes.

That's an early sketch, it shows how the parts fit together and in which face the sub should be placed but not more, the sub should be placed away from the inner end of the port.

Also the box can be placed port driver/passenger side and driver/port can be faced frontwards/backwards, you can test all those to see what you like best.

Archived