How to tell if your power supply is going bad?

USB uses the +5V rail

Do you have a toggle switch on the back of your PSU? If so, Is it toggled to "I" and not "O"?

Sounds like a driver issue and not a power/mobo issue if the external hard drive works fine. For some reason my machine has started that this last week where I have to plug my flash drive in 3 or 4 times to get it recognized. Still haven't isolated the issue but I kinda just learned to live with it.

Some would assume that but the fact that it does not power on at all. No post at all kinda tells me that is would be the power supply. From past experience I have noticed that if it is a bad board that when you press the power button it Cpu fan will twitch just a little and stop. I am not even getting that which also points me back to the power supply. Keep in mind that I had a USB keyboard, USB mouse and USB printer that worked just fine.

Double check the I/O toggle switch on the back

If you want to see for sure if the PSU is dead, pull it completely out of the system. Plug in a fan or drive into one of the cables. Then take the 24-pin connector and a paper clip. Find the green cable on the 24-pin and stick one end of the paper clip into it and bend it around and stick the other end into any one of the black ground pins. This will jump-start the PSU. If the fan or drive powers on, the PSU is working and you'll have to start your search elsewhere (motherboard most likely if nothing will power on)

wtf is lolcats?

I'd def get a fat hooker if i had to resort to that kinda thing. I feel like they'd be grateful and work harder. Also its more bang for my buck, more real estate for my dollar if you catch my drift. its like the Costco of streetwalkers.

I was hoping for 150 :(.

I was hoping she would let me put it in her butt

Update.. Was not the Power supply or motherboard. Tore the system down and pulled the power supply and jumped it and it was fine. Upon inspection one of the USB pins was bent and grounding to the case and that was what was causing the issue. I removed the cable for that USB port from the motherboard and all is well now.

Update.. Was not the Power supply or motherboard. Tore the system down and pulled the power supply and jumped it and it was fine. Upon inspection one of the USB pins was bent and grounding to the case and that was what was causing the issue. I removed the cable for that USB port from the motherboard and all is well now.

YES! Good find! Computers are sneaky like that. Glad it wasn't the motherboard though.

wtf is lolcats?

I'd def get a fat hooker if i had to resort to that kinda thing. I feel like they'd be grateful and work harder. Also its more bang for my buck, more real estate for my dollar if you catch my drift. its like the Costco of streetwalkers.

I was hoping for 150 :(.

I was hoping she would let me put it in her butt

Archived