Big 3 with 4awg on stock electrical

i think the stock wiring is 8awg that leads to the battery postive. i went to a shop and they told me to do the big 3 and connect my 2nd battery would cost around $300... so all i wanted too know was if i used 4awg with nothing else added, would it be safe without any other battery added and would it increase a little efficency. Its only 1500rms and i dont plan on upgrading in this car. im fine with it now but i just want to be at a safe voltage without spending a lot of money.

2010 Cobalt LT Coupe

Subs: 2 American bass XFL 12s

Amp: Crescendo BC3500D

Big 3 in 1/0awg

29hz box

stinger volt meter

2nd battery Deka 9a31

pioneer DEH-9400BH

i think the stock wiring is 8awg that leads to the battery postive. i went to a shop and they told me to do the big 3 and connect my 2nd battery would cost around $300... so all i wanted too know was if i used 4awg with nothing else added, would it be safe without any other battery added and would it increase a little efficency. Its only 1500rms and i dont plan on upgrading in this car. im fine with it now but i just want to be at a safe voltage without spending a lot of money.

300 bucks? I'd save yourself some money and do it yourself, yeah it may be frusterating and annoying to get to certain spots. But at least you learned how to do it yourself while saving yourself 300 bucks :) with the satisfaction of knowing you did it. As for battery wise.. couldn't tell you man im in the same boat as you trying to find out.

Check out my build log:

http://www.stevemead...60#entry1958353

Different folks have different strokes.

i tried but i have to take the the bumper off to reach the bolt on the alt

2010 Cobalt LT Coupe

Subs: 2 American bass XFL 12s

Amp: Crescendo BC3500D

Big 3 in 1/0awg

29hz box

stinger volt meter

2nd battery Deka 9a31

pioneer DEH-9400BH

i tried but i have to take the the bumper off to reach the bolt on the alt

Well then looks like the bumper has to come off :) just think about it this way.. there going to go through the same process as you except your doing it most likely slower.. take them (no idea how long it takes for big three.. doing it myself but!) 2 hours, takes you.. 4 hours.. your making 75 bucks by doing it yourself rather than having them do it for 150 bucks an hour. I'd keep trying man. Even if it takes a couple days who cares, last you learned how to do it for next time. Just my 2cents.

Check out my build log:

Plus if you have a good friend who's good with cars, you ask them to help also, you don't have to do everything by yourself.

2003 Kia Sorento

Team Subsonic Lows
Team Bassin' on a Budget

2016 Rebuild Under Construction

Best score: 150.2 at 40hz (3k, 2 Custom HDC3 15's) Usaci style(door open, in the kick)

OP weather you do 2-3 runs of four gauge or a run of 0 gauge is completely up to you, just at least spend a couple days trying to do it yourself before you pay for it, here is a link to help you get it done, and if you have questions well that's what this forums for. Hope this helps

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/13280-how-to-do-the-big-3-tutorial/

Check out my build log:

Why is everyone so offended when a shop quotes labor? There are MANY qualified installers out there who have a solid grasp of automotive electrical. Some of them have spent years learning the trade and have thousands of dollars in tools to back it up. Personally, if I was tasked with doing this upgrade on your Cobalt, I wouldn't even entertain it for less than they quoted.

The link posted is helpful, but is really not applicable to this vehicle.

Tony Candela - SMD Sales & Marketing
Email me at [email protected] to learn about becoming an SMD Partner!

CEAES_468.gif

Archived