Sonic Electronix

Sub "pops" when car is turned off

So heres whats going on. After I start listening to music pretty loud for more than around 5-10minutes (or just normal level for long periods of time)...when I turn my car off the sub makes a thump or popping noise. I've checked my ground, RCAs and all the other wires for loose connections but they were all fine. I did a little researching and saw that people said to buy a pop stopper or ground isolator. What one would work best for my situation? These are the ones i'm looking at, if you know the problem or a better product go ahead and let me know!

Noise Control (Turn Off Pop Eliminator)

http://www.autotoys....uctid=1812#tabs

Stinger Sgli Sgn20 Ground Loop Noise Isolator

http://www.autotoys....?productid=8444

Stinger Sps Pop Stopper

http://www.autotoys....?productid=8443

Fi X12

AQ750

Pioneer DEH-6300B h/u

just wondering...how did you "check" your grounds? everyone comes in and says they checked them but when we ask how they actually are, they usually say that its on painted metal on some trunk bolt.

Uh well my ground wire came loose before from not being crimped well enough, so I checked that again and made sure that all the paint was scratched off. I also checked it at the amp to make sure it was snug in there. What else should I do to check it? I'm no pro at this stuff :P

Fi X12

AQ750

Pioneer DEH-6300B h/u

Are you using an EQ? I have Noticed some EQs give this "POP". I get this from just general understanding and Im no expert on the way to fix that. I always say check the grounds if anything is going wrong. I feel sometimes, cheap amps and cheap EQs sometimes are the cause of this but again I have nothing to back my statement up. Just something to check on.

also ive noticed if gains are up too high you get this pop..... have you set your gains properly?

also noticed if your remote wire isnt connected to the remote output wire on your headunit and just to an ignition wire or switched 12v source you'll get this pop also.

i think there real i was looking through that guys stuff he sells and it looks like he finds stuff at auctions and just sells it

Yea, it looks like someone got the mids about a month ago....shit. If I had a whole Hertz front stage my ears would jizz all over my cheeks.

/ LOL

My Low Budget Build:

Green 1995 Subaru Legacy wagon 147k- $1K

headunit- pioneer premier deh-p650-$25

4 Lead acid batts. 1 up front and 3 in back- vented outside.- $50

4 vvme L11 10"s <- $30 shipped a piece

6 cu. ft box (after displacment) tuned to 32ish hz with 10 inch sonotube. -about $50 all together maybe a lil more

2 aspm 1300 strapped

Selenium 6"s in the front doors on headunit power- for now -$20

quantum tweets in door-for now -$10

boston acoustic 5 1/4 in rear doors- for now-Free

big 3

1/0 and 4awg throughout.

roof sound deadened (not peel n seal ftw)-free

on 80 amp alt (bench tested to put out 100 amps faithfully) <--?-$10 for test

about $430 for everything<----Not bad at all

still gotta add 3 way crossover, amp for front and rear door speakers and maybe eq

just wondering...how did you "check" your grounds? everyone comes in and says they checked them but when we ask how they actually are, they usually say that its on painted metal on some trunk bolt.

Uh well my ground wire came loose before from not being crimped well enough, so I checked that again and made sure that all the paint was scratched off. I also checked it at the amp to make sure it was snug in there. What else should I do to check it? I'm no pro at this stuff :P

Grab a volt meter and make sure you're getting 12+ volts with the car off.

Red probe to power wire @ amp.

Black to ground.

sorry for thread jacking but i would ask a similiar question......my sub keeps poping when i play it at low volume...what could it be possibly wrong??

maybe tinsel leads?

2010 Chevrolet Cruze

Radio --- pioneer mvh-200vbt

Front/back --- alpine type s 6.5"

Sub Control --- Pac LC1

Sub Amp --- GZPA 1.4K

Sub --- GZNW 15XSPL D1

Battery - GZBP 12.2500X

sorry for thread jacking but i would ask a similiar question......my sub keeps poping when i play it at low volume...what could it be possibly wrong??

maybe tinsel leads?

Make a thread outlining your issue with as much details as possible. We will help you out. :drinks:

Are you using an EQ? I have Noticed some EQs give this "POP". I get this from just general understanding and Im no expert on the way to fix that. I always say check the grounds if anything is going wrong. I feel sometimes, cheap amps and cheap EQs sometimes are the cause of this but again I have nothing to back my statement up. Just something to check on.

Not using any EQs. I've checked my grounds by making sure the wire is connected good and the paint is scratched off, if there is any other way of checking to see if my ground is good let me know. I don't think my amp is "cheap" its an AQ750,not the best but its decent right?

also ive noticed if gains are up too high you get this pop..... have you set your gains properly?

also noticed if your remote wire isnt connected to the remote output wire on your headunit and just to an ignition wire or switched 12v source you'll get this pop also.

I haven't set them properly :|. I don't have access to a DD1 or oscope. My headunit has 2.2V preouts and another member told me that i'll probably have to have my gains a little past 1/2 way but not more than 3/4 so I have my gains at or maybe a tiny bit under 1/2 way. I dont go higher than 45 volume (61 max) so im hoping its alright.

I know I need to get it set up properly but I just don't have the money to get a DD-1. I'd have to take it to an audio shop sometime but I don't trust any of the ones around here but looks like im going to have to.

Grab a volt meter and make sure you're getting 12+ volts with the car off.

Red probe to power wire @ amp.

Black to ground.

Just did that and im getting 12.34V

Fi X12

AQ750

Pioneer DEH-6300B h/u

Archived