i think i have a boost leak. 91 tsi i just bought today

so i think i have a possible boost leak. have a 91 tsi bored 30 over greddy pistons, molly rings, stock turbo, xtd clutch, findanza lightweight flywheel. i just bought it today, i couldnt get over 7lbs and that was at 5k rpms. ive never owned a turbo car but this doesnt seem right. im looking into aftermarket aluminum intercooler piping to replace the 21 year old rubber ones that are on there. i have a few questions tho and hope someone has more knowledge then i do on the topic. im wondering whether or not i should keep the factory side mount intercooler or switch to a front mount. i dont have alot of extra money to spend at this point in time so it has to be something cheap. i found a pipe kit to use with the factory intercooler for 120 or the cheapest front mount i found was $145. the factory one would use less piping then the front mount. is that somthing to consider when talking about turbo'd cars?

1992 cavalier build

1992 blazer s10

kenwood cd

hifonics hfi2500d

6 soon to be 12 12" hifonics hfi12d4's

shit ton-o-wire

Blurred Vision Audio

Team SMD

feedback/refs. clicky!-

i plan on getting a turbo after i get it paid off. but i think its sumthing that should be fixed. it should be faster then what it is

1992 cavalier build

1992 blazer s10

kenwood cd

hifonics hfi2500d

shit ton-o-wire

Blurred Vision Audio

Team SMD

feedback/refs. clicky!-

7lbs isn't too bad considering the age of the components in the turbo.... The 14b isn't exactly a "high boost" turbo in the first place. I would definitely replace the lines coming from the turbo though if they seem old/worn down just so you don't develop a serious leak.

Current Systems:

2011 BMW 335i

Hertz HDP1

DC LVL3 12" Full Carbon Fiber

2002 Acura Tl
Kenwood DNX9980HD
2 DCLVL4 12" Subs with LVL5 Parts D.7 Coils
DC 3.5k
Hertz HSK-165 up front HCX-165 Rear
Hertz HDP4 Amp
DC Power Engineering 260 Amp Alt
Big 3 and amp powered with KNU 1/0
XS Power D2400 Up Front

i pulled out my dick in class many of times and had it shown. get over it bitch...stupid open legged hairy beavered bitch...

going over rms = smaller box, under rms = bigger box...

Low voltage doesn't blow amps. That's a myth.

A router that does the sub holes makes rounded edges also?

7psi is stock.

Want more? Get a boost controller.

2015 Honda Civic LX 4dr | 24k miles

Stock H/U and mids/highs

Power Acoustik GW3-12" D2 Sub

HiFonics BXX1200.1D @ 1ohm

Random 2.5^3' dual ported box

NVX LOC

Stinger wiring throughout 

1977 Chevy SWB

Cammed 350

Dual exhaust

Cheap Wish stereo

I say baby it until you can afford to replace it all in one shot.

I agree with him, and I'd also suggest thoroughly going over the car and make sure everything has been maintained properly and was built right without cutting corners. Those cars don't have a very good rep to start with so I'd save your money as a back up and when you have extra cash then throw a FMIC on it.

when i first start the car it kind of idles rough a little until it warms up. i notice the boost guage bounces when it idles up and down but once it idles right the boost sits flat. going through it today. i know somthing not quite right with it, my last talon was non turbo and was faster then this car. i bought this cuz it had a really clean body (hard to find up here in wisconsin at a good price) and it was just rebuilt. motor is tight, besides an oil pan gasket leakin like a bish. car came with a new oil pan jus need the gasket

1992 cavalier build

1992 blazer s10

kenwood cd

hifonics hfi2500d

shit ton-o-wire

Blurred Vision Audio

Team SMD

feedback/refs. clicky!-

do you have a boost controller and welcome to the wonderfull world of dsm's i hate mine with every once of energy and i hope you have deep pockets they are expensive

check out dsmtuners.com and do you want another one lol

Edited by teardrop
SKAR_728x90-2.jpg