Getting more bass into the cabin -> 1997 Toyota Chaser

I was wondering if you guys could give me some ideas on what I could do to get more bass into the cabin.

The equipment I'm using is quite humble.

-Alpine MRD-605 amplifier (600W RMS @ 2ohms, 900W peak)

-Alpine SWR-1043d (dual 4ohm coils, wired down to 2ohms)

-The enclosure is 1CF net with 11" of port, tuned to 36Hz as per Alpine's spec

I live in Japan and the vehicle is in question is a 1997 Toyota Chaser (think of a turbocharged RWD Camry :P ) Photo of the my vehicle below:

Jjv8J.jpg

With many Toyota's of that era the gasoline tank was behind the rear seats separated by a double wall of sheetmetal, which obviously doesn't fold down. I know the obvious solution to run 1kW+ power and dual 10s in a large 3-4CF box but unfortunately I need the trunk room and I don't want to compromise on weight since I occasionally would like to drift the vehicle.

What I've done so far:

- remove the two rear speaker cutouts as well as the factory subwoofer (2 x 6.5" holes and 1x 8" hole in the rear deck) -- this has helped out slightly (+2dB gain from 35-60Hz)

- removed the rear seat (temporarily) -- this produced a 7dB gain, however I must retain the rear seats for convenience and the Japanese biannual safety inspection

- the optimal position of the box, with the port and subwoofer facing outwards -- +3dB gain

- the big 3, vehicle is equipped with a 115A alternator so the relatively small amp is not such a big load on the electrical system but it's nice to have done it anyway.

What I'm thinking of doing and maybe you guys could give me some opinions here:

- rebuild the box to 1.5CF with 16sq in. of port (tuned to 38Hz). The current box is made out of 5/8" thick MDF and the port is not following the 1:8 ratio (instead 1x11" as what Alpine recommended). I don't have port noise but do you think I would gain with a larger port? Also, would the thicker wood increase SPL? How about flaring the ends of the port? Or maybe just run a 4" aero port?

- replace the woofer with a Kicker CompVX 10". I'm seeing that the Kicker has a 86dB sensitivity vs. Alpines 83dB? Opinions on this?

- sound deadening the quarter panels. The quarter panels on this vehicle are paper thin. In fact there is no bracing between the inner trunk carpet and the panel. Would this increase pressure? I have a molded duck-tail spoiler on the trunk which is weighing it down but only on the edge. There is still some flex in the central part of the trunk.

- I've folded down the center trunk liner (exposing the gasoline tank and bottom of the rear deck) to get direct air flow underneath. Do you think there would be merit in creating a smoothed reflector/vent underneath the rear deck to more efficiently vent the pressure into the holes above? Please excuse the subwoofer box (it doesn't leak but I was just experimenting with aluminum tape on the seams to see if it would do anything (which it didn't)). As I mentioned earlier as well I always have subwoofer facing backwards but I was hauling a few things that day so I put it upward.

[see photos for what I'm getting at...]

6iONX.jpg

jQ5Ct.jpg

Edited by recon440