Second Skin Audio

Need help deciding wether to use two 8 inch aero ports or a slot port for 9000 watt system, no wall.

Hello everybody, I'm doing a new system and I need to get this box rite the first time, don't have money to waste. I'm running three sundown zv3 15" d2 on two sundown 3500s strapped at 1.33. The box needs to be 10 cubes net, after woofer and port displacements. I'm pretty set on how big it's gone be.(43w. 20h. 29l) external. I was told that aero ports are louder in suv's than slot port. I went to world finals this year in Florida and the guys who were running no walls pretty much all had aeros , and this got my attention. I was thinking of two 8 inch aero ports that are 16" long giving me a tune of 32-33 hz. But then again I always use slot and had great expierences with them. I'm so confused on wat to do, especially with bracing, wether or not to use 45s etc. I just wish someone who builds boxes on a regular can chime in and give me some ideas. Keep in mind this box is for daily street beater.

I am a big fan of slot ports because you can get more port area and the port itself acts as a brace within the box. Aeros are commonly used to burp louder because a fat flared areo is the most efficient port layout and it is also easily adjustable (as far as length) which comes in handy because burp cars often go through countless box and port alignments.

-Drew

detail.gifI am a United States Military Arts and Crafts Professional. Sand it off, Paint it on. detail.gif

uhoh_45 said:
dont be a pussy P give the jeep to drew

I am a big fan of slot ports because you can get more port area and the port itself acts as a brace within the box. Aeros are commonly used to burp louder because a fat flared areo is the most efficient port layout and it is also easily adjustable (as far as length) which comes in handy because burp cars often go through countless box and port alignments.

-Drew

Yea I've always use slot ports and and had great results,,, I was just curious because someone told me that aeros are louder and more efficent.

2x 8"x 16long

1" mdf

no bracing

43x20x29

0.15cuft each 0.45 total

11.53 gross

10.12 net

33.2hz

9.93sq in per ft

I like the ideas of the two 8 inch ports, but y no bracing , and I use .75 13 ply birch

idd look at 18x7.5" x 27long

3 common wall

8.23 net

33.1hz

16.4sq in per ft

-Drew

Yea I've always use slot ports and and had great results,,, I was just curious because someone told me that aeros are louder and more efficent.

The round flared port is more efficient. You have a ratio of port perimeter to port area. For example, an 8" flared port has approx 50" sqin of port area and a circumference of 25" so for every two square inches of port area you have one inch of port wall.

With a square slot vented port, that same 50sqin of area would mean you have a 15x3.25" rectangle. This is still 50" of port area but now you have 36" of port wall.

This also brings a slight rule of thumb of 1:8 ratio of a slot port. For every 1" on one side, you want less than 8" on the other side. The more long and skinny a slot port is the less efficient it is.

-Drew

detail.gifI am a United States Military Arts and Crafts Professional. Sand it off, Paint it on. detail.gif

uhoh_45 said:
dont be a pussy P give the jeep to drew